Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extremely Frustrated with Tesla Service..Need Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to rant a little here so please excuse me in advance.

I just got home and when I stepped out of my car I heard a slight whirring sound coming from the front of the car. Upon further inspection I realized that the front door handle motor was continuously pulling the handle inwards. 15 minutes, many lock/unlocks, power offs, and MCU resets later, it still will not seem to stop, and the door handle refuses to present.

This is when Tesla's disappointing service came in. I called roadside explaining my issue and despite my protest, the best the rep would do is send a note to Tesla service who will call me back Monday morning when they open. This apparently all you get if you have the unfortunate distinction of your Tesla breaking down on a Saturday night.

Is this really how service works? I've never had an issue like this with any of the many Toyotas I've owned but I'm pretty sure if I did have an issue where I couldn't get into my car this wouldn't be their solution. After I told the rep i had meetings tomorrow to go to, his suggestion was to climb into my car from the back seat (Something my old age will definitely not allow). Do other car manufacturers close their service completely on weekends and leave their drivers unable to access their cars until the middle of the week?

I have had four conversations in the past with Tesla service wherein they claimed to have sent a note to my Service center to call back and received no replies, so my confidence is very low that I will even receive a reply.

Is this really all Tesla Service can do? Is there any other solutions to potentially get in my car, as i really need it for tomorrow.

Thanks, feedback and suggestions much appreciated.

I had the same thing happen. Put a string behind the door handle so you can use the door, I noticed the door motor running too. if you have the car set to lock on walking away lock do so and leave the FOB far away from the car, Walk out to the car and pull on the handle and let it retract. The motor will stop running.

I had the same thing happen. Put a string behind the door handle so you can use the door, I noticed the door motor running too. if you have the car set to lock on walking away lock do so and leave the FOB far away from the car, Walk out to the car and pull on the handle and let it retract. The motor will stop running.
Just a thought, but if the motor is already permanently running to pull the handle back in, how would you get a string behind it in the first place? you'd have to get the handle to extend, and if you could do that, this wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Upon further inspection I realized that the front door handle motor was continuously pulling the handle inwards. 15 minutes, many lock/unlocks, power offs, and MCU resets later, it still will not seem to stop, and the door handle refuses to present.
Minor point because this wasn't mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but the handle is on a spring. No matter what is happening, the car is ALWAYS pulling the handle inwards. When the handles are presented, it's because there's an additional force being applied to counteract the spring.

This leads to a couple thoughts. Sorry I didn't notice this thread over the weekend:
  1. When the car is unlocked and the other handles have presented, there's a good chance that if you were to pull the handle out manually that it would work (note it would snap back into the door as soon as you let go because of the spring). If you have a soft rubber or plastic pry tool this might get you in.
  2. You might try an Emergency Power Off from the center display to see if that does anything.

I had a similar issue, door handle was trying to open continuously for hours. Easy way for now is to take the fuse off from front, under the hood

Permanent fix, I opened the door by watching a youtube video on how to open tesla door, once it is open and you can see the door handle motor, use a screwdriver and push the door handle gear into rotating gear (takes a second) and it will be fixed... I never had that issue again.

• Informative
Reactions: Imafrog
Update:

Tesla Fremont came and picked up the car today. Turns out the motor and the handle mechanism got damaged due to running continuously, and will likely need to be replaced.

Also, the motor was pulling the handle inwards which caused the handle to remain a couple millimeters deeper than the surrounding body panels due to the force of the motor. This makes it extremely difficult to even attempt at threading a string through the crevices and extending the handle manually.

Also, the motor was pulling the handle inwards which caused the handle to remain a couple millimeters deeper than the surrounding body panels due to the force of the motor. This makes it extremely difficult to even attempt at threading a string through the crevices and extending the handle manually.
That's not how the handles work... the motors don't "pull the handle in" they simply stop pushing it out. The inward part is entirely done by springs. If running continuously in that direction it won't make the handle go any further in, it just won't ever push it out.
If the handle was sitting further recessed than normal, it's an indication that something else is broken, a stopper possibly, or some part of the motor that the handle normally rests against when retracted.

That's not how the handles work... the motors don't "pull the handle in" they simply stop pushing it out. The inward part is entirely done by springs. If running continuously in that direction it won't make the handle go any further in, it just won't ever push it out.
If the handle was sitting further recessed than normal, it's an indication that something else is broken, a stopper possibly, or some part of the motor that the handle normally rests against when retracted.
I just tested mine... there's a slightly louder motor sound when they open and a motor sound (maybe half as loud) when they close. So it doesn't seem to be entirely done by springs.

I just tested mine... there's a slightly louder motor sound when they open and a motor sound (maybe half as loud) when they close. So it doesn't seem to be entirely done by springs.
It is retracted entirely by springs. Jam your hand in there as it's closing and see what happens.

As to any sound difference, one direction the motor is straining against the springs, and the other direction it's being helped closed by the springs. It should not be surprising that they sound different.

It is retracted entirely by springs. Jam your hand in there as it's closing and see what happens.

As to any sound difference, one direction the motor is straining against the springs, and the other direction it's being helped closed by the springs. It should not be surprising that they sound different.
What's the motor doing when it's closing then? (That's the question not the sound).

What's the motor doing when it's closing then? (That's the question not the sound).
Slowly stopping exerting the pressure on the spring that keeps the handle open.

In the comment you replied to green1 laid it out pretty well: picture that the springs want the handle to retract. To present the handles, the motors push against the springs. To retract the handle, they stop pushing against the springs.

I don't know the exact design of the things, but stepper motors, for example, would make noise only when in motion and would be quiet when powered and stationary. It's probably implemented as something like a plunger or rod that pushes out, which would allow the passenger to pull the handle out slightly without pulling on the motor mechanism (in other words, pull against the weight of the spring only). When the handles go to retract, the steppers run in reverse to allow the spring to pull the handle back in. If the motors just powered off, the handle would snap back in under full control of the springs.

One such hubris mistake in 3 is enough to send the company on a tail spin.

Frequent trips to SC is not something a mass market 3 owner would tolerate.

I beg to differ. You seem to have forgotten that the Model 3, mass market or not, will be the highest performing EV ever made in it's price range. I would bet that the vast majority of the early adopters will be just as willing to put up with relatively minor service issues in order to own this car.

Now, would they put up with the same for a 14th-generation ICE econobox cost leader? Of course not.

On 24 hour roadside assistance, I feel like the Ops expectations were set too high. As someone else already pointed out, no dealer offers service on Sundays, and no dealer offers service after hours, so why expect that from Tesla? At best, roadside assistance gives you a jumpstart, a splash of gas (for your ICE cars) or tows you wherever you want to be towed... home if it's in the middle of the night.

It's the wait for parts that can be extremely frustrating. Months of wait for parts, an incorrect install, wait again for replacement parts, and no idea when all the parts will arrive.

When the parts are finally installed correctly, then the Model X will go to my detailer to replace the clear bra that the service center scratched.

My recommendation: Buy a defect free used Model S and save time and depreciation by letting new car buyers get the vehicles fixed during their ownership.

I beg to differ. You seem to have forgotten that the Model 3, mass market or not, will be the highest performing EV ever made in it's price range. I would bet that the vast majority of the early adopters will be just as willing to put up with relatively minor service issues in order to own this car.

Now, would they put up with the same for a 14th-generation ICE econobox cost leader? Of course not.

On 24 hour roadside assistance, I feel like the Ops expectations were set too high. As someone else already pointed out, no dealer offers service on Sundays, and no dealer offers service after hours, so why expect that from Tesla? At best, roadside assistance gives you a jumpstart, a splash of gas (for your ICE cars) or tows you wherever you want to be towed... home if it's in the middle of the night.
I beg to differ ;). People buying the M3 are likely not buying the car for performance reasons and will not put up with the annoying and persistent issues that MS and MX owners like us do. They are going to expect the same or better quality and service as other cars in the price range.

Regarding roadside assistance... I thought that if our cars were not drivable and under warranty Tesla would a) tow the car to the nearest Service Center and b) arrange for a loaner or rental car at their expense while it was being repaired. It sounds like you're saying that's not the case.

Reactions: Gizmotoy
I beg to differ ;). People buying the M3 are likely not buying the car for performance reasons and will not put up with the annoying and persistent issues that MS and MX owners like us do. They are going to expect the same or better quality and service as other cars in the price range.

Regarding roadside assistance... I thought that if our cars were not drivable and under warranty Tesla would a) tow the car to the nearest Service Center and b) arrange for a loaner or rental car at their expense while it was being repaired. It sounds like you're saying that's not the case.

Performance is not just speed but range and other dynamics. If those 400,000 just wanted EVs, they could buy Chevy Bolts right now. But we all know (or at least expect) the Model 3 to perform better by every metric.

I admit I don't know any of the details of the Tesla roadside assistance agreement. What I was saying was I think it's unrealistic to expect service to be performed at any hour of the night. In the case of a late night or non-working day far failure, the best one should expect is a tow (and a loaner or rental if that's part of the deal). I got the impression OP expected a tech to show up and fix the car on the spot... sorry to both of you if I got that wrong.

Performance is not just speed but range and other dynamics. If those 400,000 just wanted EVs, they could buy Chevy Bolts right now. But we all know (or at least expect) the Model 3 to perform better by every metric.

I admit I don't know any of the details of the Tesla roadside assistance agreement. What I was saying was I think it's unrealistic to expect service to be performed at any hour of the night. In the case of a late night or non-working day far failure, the best one should expect is a tow (and a loaner or rental if that's part of the deal). I got the impression OP expected a tech to show up and fix the car on the spot... sorry to both of you if I got that wrong.
We put down a deposit on the Model 3 on day one (3/21/2016) and the Bolt wasn't out yet. Given Tesla's current growing pains with support and service we are considering a Bolt instead but wanted to see what the M3 is like first and if Tesla can straighten themselves out.

I disagree. The vast majority of Model 3 buyers will have experience with mid-priced vehicles from Toyota, Lexus, Acura, Nissan, Infiniti, etc. and will have similar expectations of reliability. Most Model 3 buyers will not be performance oriented, they will simply be looking for range and reliability. The other reason why Tesla should be worried: Competition. Model 3 will be the first Tesla EV that will have stiff competition, beginning initially with GM's Bolt, but followed up soon by Mercedes, Volkswagen, and others.

I suspect many tolerated Tesla's inadequacies not because of speed and performance, but because there were no alternatives to Tesla in the market. I didn't buy my Model S due to speed and performance, I purchased it primarily for range and lack of other options in the market. My upgrade to the P model was not part of the original plan and wasn't central to my decision.

One such hubris mistake in 3 is enough to send the company on a tail spin.

Frequent trips to SC is not something a mass market 3 owner would tolerate.

I totally agree. I also think Tesla's software update policies may infuriate many Model 3 owners. The redesigning and tweak, removing functionality over time, changing the UI look and feel, releasing half-baked software filled with bugs and questionable choices, and the general "beta" label applied by Tesla on its owners won't fly with Model 3. Judging by what I have seen in the last 2-3 years, Elon Musk has taken the good will of early adopter owners and their willingness to forgive Tesla's missteps for granted. I have not seen any changes at Tesla, from an optics and customer-facing standpoint, that will help them with Model 3. In fact, I believe Tesla's way of doing things is going to frustrate a lot of people whose expectations align more traditional car manufacturers.

And now we have this mysterious announcement on Wednesday. Musk cannot seem to focus on anything long enough to get it right. Model S and X are still suffering from marginal QC at the factory - people are still complaining of misaligned chrome trim, panel gaps, and other build quality issues that are totally inexcusable 3-4 years into production. It's clear that Tesla is not prioritizing quality over quantity, based on this behavior where is the confidence that Model 3 will not have these or other issues?

If Model 3 experiences even a fraction of the problems Model S had, Tesla may be in for some big problems. Think about the issues many have had to go through with their cars... Repeated drive unit replacements; HVAC that does not properly heat, cool, or recirculate air as expected; automatic wipers with faulty logic; many software bugs and missing basic features; suspension and premature tire wear issues; build quality and QC issues; expensive out-of-warranty repairs; battery and contactor failures; water leaks; pano roof issues; rusting components; near annual 12v battery replacements; etc. This is just off the top of my head, there are probably quite a few more.

I hope Tesla doesn't bank on the average Model 3 customer being as forgiving as the average Model S owner.

Idiotic eye candy door handles that is prone to failure every other year. And I guess the X doors are in the same category.

If this company goes under and if the general consensus is the S door handles, X FWD and sculptured back seats played a big part in it - I wouldn't shed a tear and say they deserve it.

I disagree. For a company that relies heavily on the media and word-of-mouth for publicity, these sorts of "conversation pieces" are an extremely important part of the overall approach, especially in the early going. Even people who couldn't care less about EVs notice and talk about the door handles on the S and the doors on the X etc.

Reactions: Hank42
I disagree. For a company that relies heavily on the media and word-of-mouth for publicity, these sorts of "conversation pieces" are an extremely important part of the overall approach, especially in the early going. Even people who couldn't care less about EVs notice and talk about the door handles on the S and the doors on the X etc.
This is part of the long-term problem with Tesla's development path so far: they ALWAYS choose to work on the headline-generating feature. A recent example: the feature to prevent dog/children from overheating when forgotten in the car, which limits to 105*F and is off by default! We have a pretty new UI for the second time in a 18 months! I get it: press == sales, but this behavior is not sustainable. You have half the car on the cutting edge of what's possible, but the other half lacks the fundamental basics expected of vehicles in its price range.