Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass Mounting- Problem Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 175704 Here's a pic. Just flip up the parcel shelf which is very felt-like. The Fastrak transponder had Velcro strips already on the back and conveniently sticks to the under surface of the flap. Then flip the parcel shelf back down so you don't block the view out the rear window. Well hidden and out of the way! So glad this works!
Does this work at the SFO parking garages? There the FasTrak antennas are above the entrance and exit gates and you can't drive forward enough to "expose" the rear hatch to the antenna.

And that actually works?!?!?! Wow. I wonder if it'll work in PA (where I am).
Here in Northern California, if your license plate is registered with FasTrak, there is no penalty fine if your transponder isn't detected since the cameras will just pick up your license plate and just charge the regular toll fee. Thus, experimenting with different options for where to put the transponder doesn't trigger any fines.

I mounted my SunPass License Plate Transponder to the inside of my nosecone with velcro and a couple strips of tape for insurance. It's not pretty but it works.
According to our FasTrak program here in NorCal, the regular transponder is not waterproof and the inside of the nosecone can get wet so the external version is better as you are doing. With the newer internal transponders, there is a 3 position switch that you should at least access once to use in the Express lanes and in SoCal so it's handy not to have it in the nosecone. Of course it's not impossible to pop off the nosecone to change the selector switch just a little troublesome.

According to our FasTrak program here in NorCal, the regular transponder is not waterproof and the inside of the nosecone can get wet so the external version is better as you are doing. With the newer internal transponders, there is a 3 position switch that you should at least access once to use in the Express lanes and in SoCal so it's handy not to have it in the nosecone. Of course it's not impossible to pop off the nosecone to change the selector switch just a little troublesome.

For the selector switches, you can set it and forget it, and mount it in the nose cone. Every couple of years you might need to change the battery, but it's not that big a deal. You'll know the battery is dead when you start getting the plate charges.

Reactions: Fanatic1
No need to change the selector switch since it always needs to be in number 3 position at all times.

I just got back from taking my one week old S90D from Massachusetts to Maine and back and discovered that my 11-year-old MA FastLane transponder (it predates the EZ-Pass transition) mounted in the black area of the windshield (no dots on the new windshield -- you get transparent or black) was read in NH, but not in Maine.

Figuring it was the battery, I brought it to the Boston EZ-Pass office today and asked for a replacement. They tested it and said that it works fine and therefore will not replace it with a new interior transponder -- only with the big black license plate one. Knowing the problems people have had with license plate mounts and autopilot hardware (my model S has that), and not having a nosecone to hide it in (I have a refreshed design model S), I've decided to keep my FastLane transponder and try the rear parcel shelf mounting, but given the age of the transponder and its batteries, I'm skeptical it's going to work.

I'll update when I've tried the new mounting with this ancient transponder, but a colleague here offered a good solution that I might consider if the parcel shelf mounting doesn't work: register with the Pennsylvania Turnpike to get one of their EZ-Pass transponders. The claim is that they don't care if your plate is from out of state, and they would give me a more modern interior transponder.

in the meantime, I'd love to hear more stories of EZ-Pass mounting successes from owners of the new design model Ss.

[QUOTE="cdhowe, post: 1594897, member: 46649"
in the meantime, I'd love to hear more stories of EZ-Pass mounting successes from owners of the new design model Ss.[/QUOTE]

That discussion may warrant it's own thread. You may want to consider starting a thread for that specific discussion, as I expect the new nosecone-less design will cause similar mounting issues for many.

FWIW, my large EZpass license plate style transponder is mounted behind the nosecone on the black cross member. It is mounted with tie-wraps and double sided 3M auto tape (no vibration)

It has worked flawlessly in over 20 instances in MA, NY and ME.
the behind the nosecone placement works almost everywhere in EZpassland, the one place where I and others have had problems is at the NYC MTA crossings where the tag rarely works.

In Northern California, velcro-ing the interior white FasTrak transponder under the rear parcel shelf works pretty well on the bridges. Haven't tried in the SFO parking lot yet. Anyone try this method other states' or even SoCal's EZPass/FasTrak systems or in the refreshed S? It's so well hidden there.

I ordered an external transponder from NJ EZPass, took to my local Tesla Service Center and they mounted it behind the nose cone for me. In 6 months of driving, and many trips over bridges and thru toll booths, no problems.

I called my SC in MA and they said that the cannot do this because the transponder will interfere with the
UPDATE After originally starting this thread with the suggestion that an EZ Pass (NY/NJ) could be successfully placed on the windshield (2016 Model S) to the right of the rearview mirror on the black painted area of the windshield, I have to report that this position only was working about 75% of the time, so I had to remove it. I have two final solutions for all of you who refuse/prefer to not mount a front license plate:

1) Get an external EZPass (looks like a black bar) and ask your Tesla SC if they would pop the front nose cone for you and mount it to the front bumper support behind the nose cone. My SC used double-sided tape and zip-ties and it has been working like a charm.

2) Make sure that you go to the EZPass website for your state and register the license plate of your Tesla. This way, on the outside chance that the EZPass readers can not read your transducer, their computers will match the license plate and you won't receive any warnings or fines.

I called a Tesla SC and they claim that it is not a good idea to mount it in the nose cone as it "interferes with autopilot" I told them that several Tesla personnel and this forum suggested that it could still be done, even on a early 2016 MS.

I did #2 this morning when I got the exterior transponder. Hopefully it won't matter whether it is mounted. I'll just mount the transponder like the OP did.

Here in Northern California, if your license plate is registered with FasTrak, there is no penalty fine if your transponder isn't detected since the cameras will just pick up your license plate and just charge the regular toll fee. Thus, experimenting with different options for where to put the transponder doesn't trigger any fines.

That is totally not true. I have to weekly contact fastrak to remind them that they charged me a fee from my fastrak account from the license plate of my Model s that is ON my account even though they know it has clean air stickers on file with DMV.

What I have discovered is that if the transponder reads just once at any of the points along fastrak zone, then I won't get charged at all the other points on the same road where the transponder didn't read, so after I enter the lane, I have to open the roof and shove the transponder out for just one of the readers and it doesn't matter which one.

That is totally not true. I have to weekly contact fastrak to remind them that they charged me a fee from my fastrak account from the license plate of my Model s that is ON my account even though they know it has clean air stickers on file with DMV.

What I have discovered is that if the transponder reads just once at any of the points along fastrak zone, then I won't get charged at all the other points on the same road where the transponder didn't read, so after I enter the lane, I have to open the roof and shove the transponder out for just one of the readers and it doesn't matter which one.
Sorry to hear that. I guess I should add YMMV... I've never had to contact Fastrak for any of my cars.

NYC MTA Crossings (especially the RFK Triboro Bridge) continue to be an issue no matter where you mount your EZ Pass Tag. When I started this post, I had mounted the large external tag that is meant for above the license plate mounting inside of the nosecone. That worked everywhere except for some random lanes on the RFK Triboro. I eventually gave up and mounted the tag outside above the front license plate. That worked pretty well.

Last week at the RFK Triboro (again in a random lane) that externally mounted Transponder refused to open the gate, leaving me stranded there until an MTA Cop intervened. He asked for the toll in cash and I showed him where the transponder was mounted., He walked around to the front of the car and told me he still wanted cash because "there is scannable bar code on the transponder".

Figuring that he was either correct, or about to scam me, I took out a spare EZ Pass that I keep in the foil bag in my glovebox. He took it, tapped it on the tollgate, and voila, the gate lifted.

Moral of the story, if you are using a NYC MTA bridge or tunnel that has a gate that closes after each car, get a spare, keep it in the foil bag and stow it in the glovebox on your Tesla.

Those two bridges-- the Triboro and Whitestone bridges have given me a few problems with my MS and windshield mounted Ezpass, but overall it's now working pretty well.

I have an older MS (non-AP) with the "black dots" area directly to the right of the rear-view mirror, and I get 100% EZpass reads everywhere else (incl the GW and TappanZee bridges).

But there is definitely something wrong with those two installations. I like the idea of a backup pass just in case.

Oh, and about a month ago I was driving north on the Henry Hudson parkway towards the small bridge toll there, and there was a grey Model S in front of me. He had to open his pano roof and hold out the EZpass to get through. Geeze, I thought, we have the most advanced automobile on the planet, but it forces some owners to do this silly little dance just to pay an *electronic* toll? It makes Teslas look really bad to everyone else who has to see that. Good thing it was summer time, I'd hate to be that guy in a heavy rain or in the winter with sub-zero temps.