Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Facelift Model3 Teaser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This is currently what Audi e-tron offers here in Europe. The amount of details those headlights are capable of producing is astonishing.
That is badass. I have similar technology active LED headlights on my Volvo XC60 T8 in Monaco, but that Audi solution is next level. The Volvo just can identify a vehicle and use the high beams to throw light around it, so as not to blind the other driver.

It also starts at $77k, more than double the price of the base model M3.

I understand the M3 doesn't have the best headlights in the industry...no one is saying that. But to openly bash them on an M3 forum is like going to a Ferrari forum to point out there are faster cars out there.......

I have a Ferrari, and we have very healthy and knowledgeable conversations about the merits and shortcomings of our cars compared to other vehicles with which they compete, over on FerrariChat. I respectfully disagree with your analogy, as it’s ill-conceived and contrary to my experience.

The facts and information about a vehicle should be discussed in a meritorious way, regardless of the forum’s association with any particular manufacturer. The highest and best use of all of our time here is a discussion toward the truth - informed by our collective experiences.

Last edited:
"LOOOOOOL" at this post. Not only does the Model 3 get out performed by other mainstream cars in the US, the OP that you're replying to is in the EU where it is well-established that headlight technology is far more advanced than what is used on US roads and US manufacturers..
I would say that my Model 3’s dipped beams are quite bright, but from the factory they were aimed a bit low. Once adjusted up a few mm, I find the brightness to be strong but unfocused. I wish the low beam was a bit more evenly spread down the road, and the pattern was more defined.

Reactions: Siciliano
It also starts at $77k, more than double the price of the base model M3.

I understand the M3 doesn't have the best headlights in the industry...no one is saying that. But to openly bash them on an M3 forum is like going to a Ferrari forum to point out there are faster cars out there.......

I didn’t even comment on the Model 3 headlights? I was just showing what the competition has, Audi has always been ahead in the light game.

I love my Model 3 as much as the next guy, that's why I bought it. But it's toxic to have that kind of behaviour towards people that disagree with your opinion even when presented with documented facts. Model 3s headlights are bright but it stops there, they miss simple features like auto leveling so when its back heavy it blinds oncoming traffic. And definitely adaptive headlights that turns with the wheels, this is one of the features I miss the most from my old car. Both of these features should definitely be included in the price and class the Model 3 competes in, making up excuses is just silly.

You need to be able to see the flaws in the things you love, if you can't you're blind.

they miss simple features like auto leveling so when its back heavy it blinds oncoming traffic.

agreed, it’s hard to understand why auto-leveling was omitted because the headlights are equipped with servo hardware to adjust the level of the beam. And I have to imagine that a level sensor would add negligible cost, if they couldn’t use an existing data point to determine height

When you guys are talking about
auto-leveling
do you mean that it adjusts the level every time the lights turn on? Or do you mean it can automatically find it's level when you go to the "adjust headlights" function in the service menu?

I'm in Australia, so we get some kind of RHD EU spec car. My front and rear LHS suspension have position sensors that apparently are not present on the US/NA spec. As I was told here on TMC, these sensors are for the headlights to automatically level. They do it themselves when I go to he "adjust headlights" menu. I don't see why Tesla couldn't allow them to auto-level each time they turn on, if that would allow them to bump up the brightness in EU.

While I'm here; My 2c on the Model 3 headlights: They're very bright, so I wonder if we get full power, unlike EU. Low beam is bright and wide, but doesn't not "spill" enough into the distance. I mean that the top edge of the light on the road is too crisp, so obstacles are invisible until they're right up close in front of you. The high beams are great on straight roads, but useless around even slight curves. They shine way too narrowly, so every corner is blind until the road straightens up again. Turns out I'm also not a fan of cool white LEDs. Overall, I rate the Model 3 headlights worse than my old car from 2008 (Ford Falcon, in case anyone knows what that is), in terms of visibility and eye comfort, despite being technically brighter.

"LOOOOOOL" at this post. Not only does the Model 3 get out performed by other mainstream cars in the US, the OP that you're replying to is in the EU where it is well-established that headlight technology is far more advanced than what is used on US roads and US manufacturers..

i dont understand these huge car headlights either. theres people here in aus who have these tiny ledbars on their old beatercars. the turn them on and it turns night into day! wish my high beams were like that.

You guys need some avatars first off, your posts all look the same
1r9h5db.png

Did you read my earlier post in this thread regarding that there is a difference with European spec Teslas?

This guy you're calling out seems to be located in EU as well...

Don't judge someones information wrong based on your own lack of knowledge. Or have you tested an EU Spec Model 3 or any European car with Matrix headlights?

But I did judge his information. He said Model 3's headlights are not bright. That's false. I live in CA, haven't seen EU Model 3 headlights, nor do I care if they are brighter. U.S. Model 3 headlights are very bright. Go ahead and digitally click disagree with my post to make yourself feel better again lol

You realize posted above are actual measured values, done by a 3rd party, showing the Model 3 has less brightness and reach than other common cars like Civics and Golfs?

If you get flashed by other cars, your lights may be adjusted improperly. When you point weak halogens up at other people, they'll be just as annoyed.

My Model 3 headlights are vastly brighter compared to common cars on the road at night including civics and golfs.

And when any car is driving through uneven roads, goes down into little dips and upon accelerating, the front end goes up, which make the headlights project upward, which makes them appear brighter to oncoming traffic. My headlights are adjusted properly, thanks.

Oh really? That's awesome! U.S. Model 3 has amazing headlights and that's well established visually every time I drive at night

VV11IFR.png

But I did judge his information. He said Model 3's headlights are not bright. That's false. I live in CA, haven't seen EU Model 3 headlights, nor do I care if they are brighter. U.S. Model 3 headlights are very bright. Go ahead and digitally click disagree with my post to make yourself feel better again lol

My Model 3 headlights are vastly brighter compared to common cars on the road at night including civics and golfs.

the IIHS tested US model cars showing the Model 3 is dimmer than those other cars, and they dont really care how you feel about it

• Funny
Reactions: Krash