Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door false obstacle detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my X in the SC to correct some aesthetic issues but I mentioned that I was experiencing a random false positive on the passenger side FWD object detection. I've logged a bug report a few times when it happened, so I think they have a trace of the occurrence. They're replacing a door sensor to attempt to solve the problem. I'll report back when the vehicle is returned to me.

Starting about 3 weeks ago the driver side FWD detects a phantom obstacle while closing; sometimes up to 4 times. Is there something I should clean? Or perhaps just reboot? Or do I just make an appointment and take it to the service center?

Just started having this problem on both doors 2 days ago. I have already reset /rebooted the display to no avail. It is so out of the blue on both doors that I feel a software release has introduced a bug detecting phantom objects! the car does it every time on both doors without any exception!
I hesitate making an appointment at the local SC to fix it as I get to close the door with a manual override fixes it but if nobody knows how to get around it then I guess I will be making a call..

Starting about 3 weeks ago the driver side FWD detects a phantom obstacle while closing; sometimes up to 4 times. Is there something I should clean? Or perhaps just reboot? Or do I just make an appointment and take it to the service center?

I received the following from Denver service center: Hey Bruce, let’s try a recalibration on that FWD first. Take the vehicle outside where there’s nothing in range of the FWD. If you get into the back seat and hold the switch inside the vehicle until door is all the way open then hold down until all the way closed. That will recalibrate the door and should take care of the problem, if the problem persists please give us a call at the Service Center 303 759 0529.
This did not solve the problem. I also rebooted the main console. I have appointment for Aug 12 to take the Tesla to the service center.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
I received the following from Denver service center: Hey Bruce, let’s try a recalibration on that FWD first. Take the vehicle outside where there’s nothing in range of the FWD. If you get into the back seat and hold the switch inside the vehicle until door is all the way open then hold down until all the way closed. That will recalibrate the door and should take care of the problem

Added to the Reset Techniques wiki.

I picked up my Model X (VIN 4xxx) in NY a month ago. The FWDs started to experience false obstacle detection on the driver side 3 days after pickup (they worked fine for the first 2 days). I called Tesla and they picked up the car a week later, took it to the SC, were able to replicate the problem and documented that they had performed a hard reset of the pinch protection sensor and firmware, and were able to correct the issue. I get the car back a day later, and the problem went away for a week. This past weekend, the exact same problem resurfaced, and I called Tesla service today and were told it had been determined it was a firmware issue and that I had to just sit tight and wait for a firmwide update in a few weeks.

image.jpeg
It's possible the latest update (2.32.100) will fix this.

I was chatting with our Tesla ranger the other day during a front door latch replacement and he provided some insight that might align what others have experienced and may explain the odd false obstacle detection behavior. A few months back, my X started to have the false obstacle detection bug on the passenger side falcon wing door. I logged a few bug reports, but it was sporadic and seemingly random. Since we don't have a service center in our state, Tesla loaned me a Model S and flat bed trucked mine to the closest service center, where they replaced the inductive door sensor in the afflicted door. The problem has not since returned. My drivers side falcon wing door now is very sporadically experiencing the same problem so I mentioned it to the Ranger when he was working on the latch. He said that, although it's not an official service procedure, he has found that the adhesives used to hold the inductive sensors can detach after time which causes the false positive. Apparently, around the falcon wing door roof window, there's a wire that weaves back and forth that constitutes the inductive pinch sensor that needs to be re-adhered if it becomes separated from the mating surface. Movement of the door, vibration of the road, heat on the roof; these are all factors that make the issue appear random. That's also why sensor replacement fixes the issue and also why the issue can appear months after delivery. It's field fixable, but involves removing both the interior ceiling panel and the upper door panel, which has connectors that have a tendency to break during removal so replacement panels on hand are recommended. Perhaps a software update could solve this issue by adjusting the positive detection range of the sensors but if you're experiencing these issue, it's worth talking to the SC about a resolution.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX and ohmman
Could any of you confirm the facts contained in a (actually two) video(s) recently posted on Youtube (
) alleging that update 2.34.100 has disabled the inductive pinch sensor? ..My X will be delivered in October!

Could any of you confirm the facts contained in a (actually two) video(s) recently posted on Youtube alleging that update 2.34.100 has disabled the inductive pinch sensor? ..My X will be delivered in October!
Firstly, I don't think they were "inductive" sensors, probably mechanical. From the video, it does appear that the sensitivity was reduced or turned off, but there are many other sensors in the doors to prevent injury. (BTW, the doors are equipped with ultrasonic sensors, pressure sensors and capacitive sensors to prevent injury. These doors are over-designed compared to old-fashioned doors.)

Someone on Facebook apparently posted a video of placing their arm and then fingers between the closing door and the door stopped before causing any significant injury. The guy later posted a 2nd video (not sure if that's the one you're referring to) where he put his arm in the door to prove that it won't get amputated like a cucumber.

It's a sensationalized video. I've lost respect for that guy's "reporting".

Funny you mentioned a cucumber...the second video posted by the same utuber shows indeed a plastic-wrapped cucumber being sliced by the FWD. It also claims that it takes over 60lbs of pressure to stop the 'sensor-disabled' door from closing. I have not seen any other reports on this matter. It would be interesting to hear of any other MX owners -who have been through the 34.100 update- about the current status of their FWD sensors - particularly those which should prevent any cucumbers- or more likely fingers- to be injured at the roof level when the doors are closing.

Indeed, this video could be a genuine one-off incident, a whistleblower's testimony or a scam. If genuine, the author seems more interested in blaming Tesla than investigating the incident. This forum, with a lot a members already enjoying their X :)):)) could be useful to Tesla and owners alike in pointing -or not- to an OS update bug.

We have had intermittent false obstacle detection on our FWDs since delivery Feb 2. So far, service has not yet solved this. However, the problems are now found to be entirely HEAT related, specifically sun shining on the door (s). The heat increases sensor sensitivity until the touchcreen shows, at first, a gray obstacle at over a foot away from the door, then as the heat increases a red obstacle inches away from the door. My point here is that HEAT should be taken into account when reporting such a problem.

I have the same problems, the FWDs are not ready yet. SC fix it for free, but took them 2 weeks to get it fix.

Attachments

• IMG_4794.JPG
    IMG_4794.JPG
    366.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4796.JPG
    IMG_4796.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4797.JPG
    IMG_4797.JPG
    368.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4798.JPG
    IMG_4798.JPG
    311 KB · Views: 119
We have had intermittent false obstacle detection on our FWDs since delivery Feb 2. So far, service has not yet solved this. However, the problems are now found to be entirely HEAT related, specifically sun shining on the door (s). The heat increases sensor sensitivity until the touchcreen shows, at first, a gray obstacle at over a foot away from the door, then as the heat increases a red obstacle inches away from the door. My point here is that HEAT should be taken into account when reporting such a problem.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Tesla previously said that heat wasn't a factor? I seem to recall something along those lines...

Jeff