Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fatal autopilot crash, NHTSA investigating...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The E-Class costs less than an S and it will work up to 155mph. Due to its stereo cameras and multi radar systems, it can also brake for stationary vehicles up to 62mph and brakes for crossing vehicles, crossing pedestrians and stationary pedestrians.

But can it stay in its lane? And source for lateral vehicle xing detection and braking?

"With one eye on the road and another on a tiny green steering wheel icon emblazoned on the display in front of me, I watched as the all-new 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class drifted across the yellow lane marker. Just as the lefthand tires crested the line, the car proceeded to buzz the steering wheel to warn me, the driver, of an unsignaled lane departure.
"Oh, don't give me that," I hollered at the car, as I grabbed the wheel and jerked the mid-size luxury sedan back into the lane. "You're the one doing the steering!"
Now back in my lane with the Mercedes mostly keeping itself in check, my heart sank a bit.
I felt disheartened because Mercedes' new suite of semi-autonomous safety tech, Drive Pilot, simply didn't feel as robust as Tesla's Autopilotthat I had tested on the very same stretch of freeways some eight months before.
During my test, the Model S was able not only able to stay planted within its lane, it also stayed almost perfectly centered in that lane. Comparatively, the E-Class struggled to even keep itself in a single lane — forget hopes of holding dead center."

"

On a straight, well-marked freeway, following traffic ahead, the system worked great. However, as soon as lane markings on either side became too hard to read or simply dropped away, Steering Pilot would cut out — sans warning.

Really, the only indication the car wasn't steering anymore was that the little steering wheel icon on the instrument display would go from green back to grey. If I didn't notice this because I was paying attention to the road ahead, like I am supposed to, I could suddenly and rapidly find the car drifting out of its lane. This happened to me several times over the two days I tested it."

Mercedes-Benz's 2017 E-Class won't let you nap behind the wheel

The E-Class costs less than an S and it will work up to 155mph. Due to its stereo cameras and multi radar systems, it can also brake for stationary vehicles up to 62mph and brakes for crossing vehicles, crossing pedestrians and stationary pedestrians.

No it can't, it can be used up to 124 mph (if following a vehicle), and completely stop the vehicle up to 43mph...

"Drive Pilot" is limited to 81 mph

Last edited:

I am sorry. Are you reading its manual that says its Automatic Emergency Braking would brake to a stop from 155 mph?

I have watched commercials and other videos produced by various auto companies that demonstrate their AEB in action. Unfortunately, they all show the car coming to a complete stop while they are traveling at slower speeds. It looks like they are traveling in the 25-30 mph range. Perhaps it is just the videos I have seen but if someone is going to claim they come to complete stops at much higher speeds, please provide a link so I can change my opinion.

I have watched commercials and other videos produced by various auto companies that demonstrate their AEB in action. Unfortunately, they all show the car coming to a complete stop while they are traveling at slower speeds. It looks like they are traveling in the 25-30 mph range. Perhaps it is just the videos I have seen but if someone is going to claim they come to complete stops at much higher speeds, please provide a link so I can change my opinion.

At 1:30 is the high speed autonomous braking for a stationary vehicle.

A crossing traffic example is here

An animation describing the speed thresholds is here

No it can't, it can be used up to 124 mph (if following a vehicle), and completely stop the vehicle up to 43mph...

Autonomous braking is good for up to 250 km/hr or 155 mph for vehicles moving or braking in front, and up to 100km/hr or 62mph for autonomously braking for stationary vehicles.

Drive Pilot is operational at speeds up to 130mph.

At 1:30 is the high speed autonomous braking for a stationary vehicle.

The youtube at 1:30 shows a very loud and laborious car that struggles to accelerate from 0 to a moderate speed like 30 mph but it doesn't look very fast speed.

If you look at the instrument cluster:

2017-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-TechDay-Design-Insight-digital-dash.jpg

100 km/hr or 62.5 mph should show up at around 11 o'clock position.

If you look at the youtube, it was never able to go up to that 11 o'clock position.

Last edited:
Drive Pilot is operational at speeds up to 130mph.

Not according to MB

• DRIVE PILOT: This system represents Mercedes-Benz's next step along the road to autonomous driving. While on both freeways and country roads, Distance Pilot DISTRONIC is not only able to automatically maintain the selected distance from the vehicle in front, but, for the first time, it can Daimler Communications, 70546 Stuttgart, Germany Mercedes-Benz – A Daimler Brand also follow the traffic in front at speeds of up to 130 mph. This can make life easier for the driver, who no longer needs to operate the brake or accelerator pedal during normal driving and also receives plenty of steering assistance from Steering Pilot – even on moderate bends. Another unique feature of Steering Pilot is that the system can continue to actively intervene by taking account of surrounding vehicles and parallel structures, even if the lines are unclear or nonexistent, as they can be during road construction, even at speeds up to 81 mph.

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/AboutUs/PressReleases/2017_E-Class_Press_Release.pdf

Hey, but maybe MB is confused about their own system...

Last edited:
Autopilot is just a marketing term. Looking at their website today, I have no way as a consumer to determine that it does NOT mean the safety features in addition to the TACC/Autosteer, etc. I always assumed it was the marketing name for the whole sensor package. Hence the specification of Autopilot "convenience features". Why do those need to be listed separately if there isn't anything else that is also "Autopilot"?

In the end, Tesla needs to clean up the marketing if they want Autopilot to only mean the convenience features.

View attachment 187915
I don't know any other way to explain it. Sooo.... I suppose this response is good enough.

• Informative
Reactions: Fedderman

With all due respect I think it might be you who are confused since you posted a press release that disproves your own statement. :)

DRIVE PILOT: This system represents Mercedes-Benz's next step along
the road to autonomous driving. While on both freeways and country roads,
Distance Pilot DISTRONIC is not only able to automatically maintain the
selected distance from the vehicle in front, but, for the first time, it can
also follow the traffic in front at speeds of up to 130 mph

Either that or perhaps you aren't really trying to understand the system. I can't tell if you're trying to have an honest conversation or what.

If you're truly trying to understand the system and its performance, I'd recommend you take an honest look at the data provided in the owner's manual and you will see that the numbers previously posted are consistent with the owners manual.

Your confusion also extends to the 43mph speed. As the title of that sections states, that refers to the cross traffic and pedestrian function. It's all very clearly spelled out in the owners manual. Each feature is nicely presented based on the level of equipment and the scenario it's protecting against.

Autonomous braking system

The autonomous braking system may intervene at speeds starting from approximately 4 mph (7 km/h) in the following situations:

Vehicles traveling in front: up to approx. 155 mph

Stationary vehicles: up to approx. 62 mph

Crossing vehicles: up to approx. 43 mph

Crossing pedestrians: up to approx. 43 mph

Stationary pedestrians: up to approx. 43 mph

For comparison purposes, perhaps you could kindly return the courtesy by posting the similar information from Tesla's owners manual for each of the scenarios above.

Thanks,

With all due respect I think it might be you who are confused since you posted a press release that disproves your own statement. :)

DRIVE PILOT: This system represents Mercedes-Benz's next step along
the road to autonomous driving. While on both freeways and country roads,
Distance Pilot DISTRONIC is not only able to automatically maintain the
selected distance from the vehicle in front, but, for the first time, it can
also follow the traffic in front at speeds of up to 130 mph

With all due respect, I already stated that. It works at speeds above 81 mph, if and only if, it is locked onto a vehicle ahead.

With all due respect, I already stated that. It works at speeds above 81 mph, if and only if, it is locked onto a vehicle ahead.

Not quite accurate. Saying it twice didn't make it any more accurate. :) just kidding!

Steering Pilot is operational at speeds up to
130 mph (210 km/h) and helps you to stay in
the center of the lane by means of moderate
steering interventions.

What you are saying is how the system works if there are zero, nada, zip lane markings. In an area without any lane markings at all, the system is still capable of following the car ahead at speeds up to 81mph.

There may be some people here that you will convince to change their minds about Tesla, however I will NEVER buy a Mercedes.

They don't offer Ludicrous.

See ya at the finish line. I'll be there waiting for ya.

Not quite accurate. Saying it twice didn't make it any more accurate. :) just kidding!

Steering Pilot is operational at speeds up to
130 mph (210 km/h) and helps you to stay in
the center of the lane by means of moderate
steering interventions.

What you are quoting is how the system works if there are zero, nada, zip lane markings. In an area without any lane markings at all, the system is still capable of following the car ahead at speeds up to 81mph.

Others appear to disagree with your interpretation:

With all these things engaged, Mercedes representatives told me the car could drive itself down a well-marked and well-lit freeway without the driver touching the steering wheel for as many as 60 seconds at a time at speeds up to 81 mph.

Mercedes-Benz's 2017 E-Class won't let you nap behind the wheel

A Driver Assistance Package Plus is available for 2017 and includes new Drive Pilot technology. Used on freeways and country roads, Drive Pilot directs the adaptive cruise control to both maintain a specific distance from the vehicle ahead and also to follow the traffic at speeds up to 130 mph.

Steering Pilot is also new this year, working at speeds up to 81 mph. It is programmed to steer around both gentle and moderate curves in the road, and can actively intervene in situations where lane markings are non-existent based on the monitoring of surrounding vehicles and parallel structures. Mercedes envisions use of Steering Pilot in heavy traffic and congestion.

2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Preview

MB goes out of their way to point out that the 130 mph figure is while following traffic ahead.

Last edited:
There may be some people here that you will convince to change their minds about Tesla, however I will NEVER buy a Mercedes.

They don't offer Ludicrous.

See ya at the finish line. I'll be there waiting for ya.

Considering the title of this thread, the discussion is really more about AEB systems and what is out there on the market today.

All manufacturers have AEB systems of varying level of capability. Some people have an interest in technology, safety technology and are curious as to what the leading edge is.