Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fatal autopilot crash, NHTSA investigating...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The name debate might be vaguely relevant if the driver was a newbie who somehow was fooled by the name into thinking AP was something it's not. This was clearly not the case. Whether or not "most people" {{citation needed}} believe it means magical unicorns are carrying the car on their backs isn't especially relevant to the case.

I'm not even going to say whether I like the name AP or not, because It. Just. Doesn't. Matter. what the name is.

"A rose is a rose is a rose." --Gertrude Stein

Yes, and No. Pilot Assist does not say "self driver". Which is what Autopilot means. And "Most People" means just more than half. Most of us are blessed with above average intelligence. But drivers' tests do not measure IQ nor a whole bunch of other stuff. My oldest daughter is a Down's syndrome, and she has a driver's license. She does not drive. But a whole lot of people jump in a car not knowing how to operate it.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think that's a reasonable possibility (#3, that he gunned it and froze), and I explained why above.

He was also an ex-SEAL, so I expect his fight or flight to be trained better than average in an oh @$&! situation ;).

For the record, never said the Tesla "gunned it and froze" - it was the truck driver who "gave her the gas", plus the military trains people not to freeze in specific situations that they have trained for, not for every possible situation.

I believe all three options are possible and I don't think there is enough solid info to rule anything in or out.

This article covers some concerns from this thread:

Will concern over Tesla death close self-driving 'loophole'?

It has caught the eye of Congress:

“The tragic Tesla crash shows again the need for aggressive oversight of an industry that has implemented new systems before they are truly tried and tested, " said Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn, in a statement. "Whatever the promise of self-driving cars, automakers have failed at even simpler technologies, like ignition switches and air bags.”

Echo this thread's sentiment on "beta":

"No manufacturer should ever put a beta system on the road and make consumers the test drivers," said Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the Center for Auto Safety. Other automakers put millions of miles on major safety systems before they are deemed ready for prime time, he says, including many hours at their own test tracks.

Ditlow said NHTSA's lack of a regulation on self-driving car features amounts to a "loophole" that Tesla exploited.

"If you look at any car, there's a certification label that says 'this vehicle meets all applicable safety standards' and you can't sell it unless you certify that it does," Ditlow said. In this case, there were none of those standards in place.

Whether Tesla has done enough, here's:

"Mark Rechtin, autos editor for Consumer Reports.

"It's one of things where Tesla needs to do a thorough job of educating the customer," he said. Rechtin said he has tried Autopilot in the Tesla that Consumer Reportspurchased. It's "limited technology," not yet a true self-driving system, and handy on long stretches of uncrowded highway or during routine driving, he said.

"This is not a self-driving car. It's driving assist," Rechtin said. "And right there on the screen, it says 'beta.' "

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck and bhzmark
“The tragic Tesla crash shows again the need for aggressive oversight of an industry that has implemented new systems before they are truly tried and tested, " said Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn, in a statement. "Whatever the promise of self-driving cars, automakers have failed at even simpler technologies, like ignition switches and air bags.' "

Interesting. Please tesla owners in Connecticut, please educate your congressman. For instance have him read the police report which says that the truck failed to yield right of way to Tesla and turned directly in front of it. If he wants to have aggressive oversight of anything he should oversee licensing and training for truck drivers and oversee poor highway design.

Why did he change lanes?

It seems he had recently passed another car. Presumably he changed lanes to pass the car, and he just noticed that he had cleared the car he passed and moved back into the other lane.

it was the truck driver who "gave her the gas"

People seem to think this means the track saw the car *before* he started to make the turn. It is also possible he only saw the car after he was committed to crossing the road and it was too late to stop or after he was already blocking the road. So he "gave her the gas" to try and get off the road in time.

Interesting. Please tesla owners in Connecticut, please educate your congressman. For instance have him read the police report which says that the truck failed to yield right of way to Tesla and turned directly in front of it. If he wants to have aggressive oversight of anything he should oversee licensing and training for truck drivers and oversee poor highway design.
regardless of the actions of the truck's driver the only fact that is undeniable is the fact that the tesla driver did nothing to avoid the crash. regardless of who has "right of way" human nature and the instinct of self preservation says that a person who was aware of an obstruction ahead would be proactive and avoid hitting a stationary object.

Apologies if I've missed this earlier in the thread, but does anyone know how long these preliminary NHTSA investigations take? Are we still going to be reading speculation & rumour for weeks, months, years...? Or do they tend to get these things turned around pretty quickly?

Yes, and No. Pilot Assist does not say "self driver". Which is what Autopilot means.
I don't know where you pulled "pilot assist" from, but my point was that the driver in this case knew darn well what the feature does. He was an experienced Tesla driver. They could have called the feature "Magical Self-Driving Robot Why Don't You Take a Nap in the Back Seat, Eh?" and he still would have known. It is not relevant to the Florida accident how the feature was branded. (Did you notice how I didn't take up the gauntlet of arguing about what AP does or doesn't mean?)
And "Most People" means just more than half.
It has the shade of meaning of "a large majority", but sure, I'll give you "most" as a synonym for "majority". Still doesn't convince me that the people making claims about what "most people" believe actually have any basis for it beyond a quick gut check. So, {{citation needed}}.
Most of us are blessed with above average intelligence.
Just like in Lake Woebegone!
But drivers' tests do not measure IQ nor a whole bunch of other stuff. My oldest daughter is a Down's syndrome, and she has a driver's license. She does not drive. But a whole lot of people jump in a car not knowing how to operate it.
If Tesla can work out a solution to people acting stupid, that will be really great. A little rebranding will not be that solution. I suppose rebranding might discourage the media from hyperventilating every time a crash happens, but in real life, I doubt it.

Reactions: Nikxice and MP3Mike
If Tesla can work out a solution to people acting stupid, that will be really great.

I think people acting stupid is an unsolvable problem and will plague humanity forever... Until our robot overlords deem us too much of a threat to ourselves and ship us all to Mars.

In the near term, at least, Tesla is helping with the stupidity involved in burning fossil fuels.

Last edited:
I received an email today from a Reuters reporter writing a hit piece on Tesla. Reporter was looking specifically for owners who had close calls with Autopilot and looking for dirt. I refuse to respond in any way to this reporter, but in case any of you here would like to inundate her with POSITIVE experiences, here is her contact information:

Alexandria Sage
Transportation Technology Correspondent
Thomson Reuters

O (415) 321-2303
M (415) 470-1118

[email protected]