Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Features FSD needs to solve for

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like others to share their thoughts on specific situations that a FSD auto needs to solve for. For example, I've had my auto twice not recognize a mailbox, once it hit that pole, the next time it nearly did and I was quicker and stopped it first. Others have suggested that the car did not recognize the projection of the mailbox standing out over the pole.

If such projections are an issue, I think that the FSD needs to better solve such problem as these kinds of projections are regularly encountered with ATMs (though one could picture this becoming less prevalent in society) and drive thru restaurants. I cant imagine the car properly handling a drive thru without painted lines, especially with that drive thru window sticking out to tap the car or mirror.

What problems or limitations do you think remain?

If such projections are an issue, I think that the FSD needs to better solve such problem as these kinds of projections are regularly encountered with ATMs (though one could picture this becoming less prevalent in society) and drive thru restaurants. I cant imagine the car properly handling a drive thru without painted lines, especially with that drive thru window sticking out to tap the car or mirror.

Are ATMs and Drive-thru's really that important though? I think the person can take back control just for those situations when they happen.

What problems or limitations do you think remain?

For me, I think it is more important for self-driving cars to handle actual road situations. For example, can a self-driving car handle a construction zone where cars have to temporarily travel in the wrong lane or on unpaved sections? Or can self-driving cars handle an accident where traffic is being detoured around an accident scene?

as I mentioned in the NoA thread, it needs to be able to accelerate and pull ahead of another car when changing lanes. Right now it relies on slowing down to get behind someone. This doesn't work so well in heavier traffic, which increases the chance of missing an exit.

Reactions: destructure00
as I mentioned in the NoA thread, it needs to be able to accelerate and pull ahead of another car when changing lanes. Right now it relies on slowing down to get behind someone. This doesn't work so well in heavier traffic, which increases the chance of missing an exit.

This is the primary reason that NOA drives me crazy. Frequently get the upcoming lane change notification, start to pass a slower car, then hit the brakes to move over behind them. No anticipation of what it knows it's about to do.

Not NOA, just regular AP, but I was pleasantly surprised on a 4 lane divided road, when I did an auto lane change, the car was able to assertively change lanes into a gap between a car about 1 car length in front of me and a pick up truck about 2 car lengths behind me. AP did not slow down or hesitate to make the lane change.

Not NOA, just regular AP, but I was pleasantly surprised on a 4 lane divided road, when I did an auto lane change, the car was able to assertively change lanes into a gap between a car about 1 car length in front of me and a pick up truck about 2 car lengths behind me. AP did not slow down or hesitate to make the lane change.
That’s good. My HW3 car AP usually brake-checks the car I am moving in front of “with auto-lane change” in the adjacent lane. Very bad behavior I hope they fix soon.

Are ATMs and Drive-thru's really that important though? I think the person can take back control just for those situations when they happen.

For me, I think it is more important for self-driving cars to handle actual road situations. For example, can a self-driving car handle a construction zone where cars have to temporarily travel in the wrong lane or on unpaved sections? Or can self-driving cars handle an accident where traffic is being detoured around an accident scene?

If there are no pedals and no steering wheel (as EM has said) there is no taking over as it is currently understood.

Sometimes it will squeeze in between two cars, which is good to see. I suspect they have some kind of threshold or limiter on this behavior right now, similar to the limiter on take off in stop and go that they recently adjusted on V10.

Hopefully someday we will have an option for lane positioning. If I could select favoring the left lane marker, it would make me more comfortable zipping along the car pool lane past stopped traffic and solve lane merges whereby the car currently serves to the right to center itself.