Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, is there a point at which those that test out features prior to release, once bound by confidentiality, are no longer bound by such confidentiality?

I just tried pulling my 3 out of the garage, it got a little close to a mailbox so I stooped it. I tried to report the bug.

At what point can I feel safe to try this again?

IMG_0069[1].JPG

...mailbox...

I wouldn't try it until I understand how it works.

If it only uses sonars to avoid your "T" mailbox post, I wouldn't try it.

If it uses sonars, the bumper sonars can detect the post further away from its lower perspective and might ignore the closer arm and closer mailbox slightly at the level of your trunk.

If it uses cameras, it might take a while for the system to learn your mailbox post.

Yeah, Elon said it "almost" didn't suck. The devil is in the "almost". The couple of times I have used it, it has moved in ways that does not coexist well with any other traffic. I used it in a relatively low-traffic parking situation, (one other car moving) and instead of parking parallel to the curb in a clear passageway, it stopped 90° to the flow of traffic, essentially blocking anyone else from passing. Using it in parking lots that have any traffic at all is ... problematic.

Reactions: croman
Before I tried Smart Summon, I had seen the videos, and I knew what to expect. My son and I were in the car while Smart Summoning. He was quite surprised/concerned about the jerky steering wheel movements. While I wasn't shocked, after watching them, I'm wondering why the character of the movements is so completely different from AP. Obviously the slower speeds affect the steering inputs. However, it gives the impression that a completely different (non-AP) team worked on the Smart Summon steering controller design. People would be more likely to trust it if the movements were a little less... robotic. Thoughts?

Before I tried Smart Summon, I had seen the videos, and I knew what to expect. My son and I were in the car while Smart Summoning. He was quite surprised/concerned about the jerky steering wheel movements. While I wasn't shocked, after watching them, I'm wondering why the character of the movements is so completely different from AP. Obviously the slower speeds affect the steering inputs. However, it gives the impression that a completely different (non-AP) team worked on the Smart Summon steering controller design. People would be more likely to trust it if the movements were a little less... robotic. Thoughts?
It’s probably better if people don’t trust it! Haha. I’m sure they could make it smoother but it wouldn’t make it work any better.
E56701C0-333D-4D7D-B5FD-9424C3E7F81D.jpeg

So, is there a point at which those that test out features prior to release, once bound by confidentiality, are no longer bound by such confidentiality?

I just tried pulling my 3 out of the garage, it got a little close to a mailbox so I stooped it. I tried to report the bug.

View attachment 461583

There are two important takeaways here in my vew:

1. The difficulty of non-vehicle object detection with cameras. Ultrasonics are notoriously bad with poles, let alone with protruding objects at height... so they are not much help. Without side or rear Lidar basically this requires the cameras to recognize the 3D obstacle and avoid it.

2. Difficulties of curb or lane detection. Why is the car nearly hitting the mailbox anyway? Because it has backed out away from the driveway and onto the grass. Without dedicated downward facing cameras this type of lane detection is extra hard for Tesla in these instances (and even more hard going forward given the front quarter blindspot).

Neither of these difficulties are surprising to those who have analyzed the Tesla suite and their design choices. Perhaps they will find ways to overcome, but the difficulty is not surprising.

Reactions: croman
Can I have some pecans, please?

It would appear that you hit upon a key issue here. When will the next revisions of smart summon make it to us? If it's like Autopilot, improvements won't even be documented in the release notes. It will be up to us to decern what has changed.

So you're basically going to get your info in the forums or after each SW update you'll need to try your test out again.

It's probably time to let the dust settle. I don't intend to use smart summon until I see better results from others willing to try it out.

View attachment 461583
How did you get that North Carolina tagged car all to way to Vrindavan?? LOL

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 11.33.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 11.30.30 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 11.30.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 11.30.30 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • Funny
Reactions: ramonneke
Smart Summon has worked very well for me. A lot might also be in expectations. I wouldn't expect it to work in your driveway. At Target and Meijer it is very good. I also use it where the lane is wide because I know it may stop somewhat perpendicular to traffic. It's so cool and gets great reactions.
I've had it successfully stop for pedestrians and cars. I love it! If you are not ready for the current early version of Smart Summon, then just don't use it. It's not necessary, and it will improve. I'm just very glad that people like me didn't have to wait for release until people like you could be happy with it.

Confidentiality agreements are bound to whatever you signed. It is very possible that you may never be able to release the information.
BUT, if you are talking about the publicly available software not under NDA, that's publicly available and hopefully the NDA does not cover that.

When can you try again? Well, that's up to you. Just the fact that the mailbox is a little high may be problematic, but in the picture it seems as if it would have been missed. Try again when new software is delivered.