Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feeling less and less comfortable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all-

I was thinking very seriously about ordering either an S or X (prefer S driving, but with dogs may be best to go X). However, a number of things are making me re-think.

1. I had to sign a responsibility doc just to test the car. I have never done this before. They told me it was implicit with everyone else when I turned over my driver's license for a test drive. But with more thought, this doesn't seem right.

I signed a responsibility doc and provided my license this morning when Tesla provided me a beautiful loaner while my car is being serviced. Very standard practice whenever I've taken a loaner, test drove or rented any car.

Thanks you guys. I have a real thing about honesty and forthcomingness. It just makes my internal alarm bells go off. I actually knew or got to know my last couple of car salesmen at Lexus and Toyota, and really totally trusted them and their advice. I didn't feel that way here.

There was also a thread someplace where the guy had purchased a CPO, took it home because he needed to use it, and had expected them to deal with pitting on glass and paint job but I think was not getting the response he expected. Couldn't find it again.

1. Common reaction from people used to being "sold" a car. Tesla reps allow the car to sell itself.
2. Tesla contacted him yesterday and arranged for his service today. There are many sides to every story, and often we only see one here.

Anyway, you can be frugal and cautious, both good qualities. And we don't want you disappointed because its not the tried & true that you've had. So, you can pick it apart to find many little things that make you uncomfortable, or spend more time with Tesla getting to be comfortable with its cars and model. Then you'll be able to make a decision you wont regret. I would not rely on this forum, but rather yourself.

And here's the latest (few minutes ago) update from the poster you cited:
"My Tesla coordinator called today to inform me they will fix the issues. I was expecting to drop off today but they have no loaners until 9/22 and it may take 2 to 3 weeks. " First Impression: Not Happy

Really, thanks you guys for all your input. I am very fortunate that the financial hardship on me will be mostly to my frugal psyche - I do not like expensive mistakes. It will not break me financially. I will keep thinking on this and figure out my comfort level. I am, at least, very lucky to live 10 minutes away from the dealer!

I am a three-year owner and when I have a chance later today won't be able to resist adding my own comments to this thread. :)

But for this one in specific, since I won't remember it later: your maximum peace of mind will be from living near a Service Center. We're talking psychology here, right? Living near a Service Center means that *IF* **anything** goes wrong, you don't have far to travel to resolve the problem. So I'm thinking you might feel better knowing where the Service Center is, as opposed to the showroom.

Alan

P.S. I think you're going to find that for any questions you have about operating the car, or pretty much any topic around the car, that this forum (teslamotorsclub.com) or even Tesla's forum (teslamotors.com) will be even quicker than visiting the showroom. I happen to love the showroom people I've dealt with, but even so, tmc.com generates a LOT of help very quickly.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I get why you're upset about the battery pack thing. All these cars have the same battery which which is software gimped, and they charge $9k to UNgimp it. That's a premium!

I tend to look at the glass half full way, I'm getting a battery that is discounted $9K in exchange for a few miles I may or may not need. You also have the option of upgrading if and when you feel like it. It's not a premium, it's a discount in reality. You're actually getting more than if Tesla had sold you a 60kw pack in the first place.

If you are a long term person, and you are worried about global warming (as I am), Tesla is a company that is all in on fixing it. Get a Tesla car, and solar panels, if you can afford them. Get a Tesla house battery thing too. Help save the world.

To rent an Airbnb you have to give your driver's license. I have had to let the shop hold my license to test drive a bicycle. No sympathy on that. :) I like my picture on my license too. lol

The 60 battery being software limited is a good thing. The car charges faster between 10% and 80% full, so it recharges all the way faster then if it was truly a 60, and you can upgrade later if you find you need it. Win, win.

Many people confuse commissioned sales people as their friends, and they might well be your friend, but you will only know once you stop being their customer. They are on this Earth to be nice, and to make their money. It isn't that they aren't in it to help you, the good ones are, but they are sales people. Like the people who work for you, being nice to you, it is lonely at the top. I'm sure the Tesla people have seen a million tire kickers, and people who aren't ready. If you aren't ready, they just let you be, not on commission. You can't get it anywhere else, they have time.

I made an appointment, was ready, and my sales guy could close. He asked about budget, I can afford the car easily, and he pushed me to get every option that I might want (no air suspension, have already paid tuition on that). No like a commissioned salesman, but pointing out the priced difference and benefits. Once you are over how much money is involved, the car is better then most anything on the market for $100k or less. It is really in a different category of car, as much like a flip phone is to a smart phone. Not as finely finished as a Merc? Who cares? Not a Tesla buyer if leather dash is a high priority. It is quieter then a Mercedes to drive, think about it, really quiet.

Sleep on it, decide if you want to put out that much money. If you do, just buy on the webpage if you like. That is how you buy at the dealership if you order. They will treat you great on service issues, if you have any. This isn't 2012 for the S, the car is far more mature.

Good luck.

Really, thanks you guys for all your input. I am very fortunate that the financial hardship on me will be mostly to my frugal psyche - I do not like expensive mistakes. It will not break me financially. I will keep thinking on this and figure out my comfort level. I am, at least, very lucky to live 10 minutes away from the dealer!

This response made me more confortable recommending a Tesla to you. :)

We have had ours since December 2012. It is a great car, but it does take more care than a Toyota. We save on gasoline and oil changes, but the depreciation of the car more than offsets any savings. We are at a unique point in time where automobile technology is going through a revolution to something new. This is your chance to be a part of the change. To be a part of this is expensive, but worth it.

If you are planning on road trips, you may want to go for the larger battery.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Dear Karen,

I purchased my P85+ in July, 2013 and took delivery in early August. It's my mid-life crisis car. I checked every box; got every option; spent about 4X what I had previously ever spent on a car. My previous cars were things like a 10-year old used Saab 99, a Nissan Sentra that I bought new for $14K back in 1986 and drove for 14 years, an Audi A4 that I bought new in 2000 and drove for 10 years, four Priuses at various times (new and used), a VW Golf (used). So, yeah, the Tesla stands out a little from that crowd. :)

I've driven the car for three years and three Boston winters.

It's an awesome car.

I have been blown away by the company, too, particularly sales and service. The sales guys tried to talk me DOWN into an S85, or at most a P85, rather than the P85+. Said I wouldn't need the extra handling option (the "+"), said most people were perfectly happy with the regular performance ("S"), didn't go to the track, didn't need the "P". I had to politely remind them that it was MY midlife crisis and I was gonna get everything. Three years down the line, they were absolutely correct: I didn't HAVE to have the P or the "+", and I could have saved a ton of money by not buying those options. The "+" in particular also required 21" wheels and summer tires, which added another $4500. On the other hand, I've enjoyed the use of all these things and have no regrets.

The service guys routinely go beyond anything I've seen before to take care of the car and my family.

I plan to upgrade my car this fall to the latest P<whatever>. Not because I don't love my current car, but because I apparently have become slightly insane with techno-lust and want the very latest that Tesla has to offer. I simply can't imagine having this feeling for any other vehicle, which always seem to me to be pretty much the same from one year to the next.

I'm NOT saying that Tesla or its salespeople or its service crew or its products are PERFECT. But I am asking myself why I don't routinely get treated this way by other automobile manufacturers and their independent dealerships (including Audi, for which I've experienced sales and service, and BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche and others, for which I've experienced sales).

I'm saying all this so that you'll understand my experiences and be able to evaluate my biases.

Hello all-

I was thinking very seriously about ordering either an S or X (prefer S driving, but with dogs may be best to go X).

May depend on the size of your dogs. Lots of people have done S+dogs and been very comfortable. We have Chihuahuas, but they fit in a shoebox. For very big dogs, people put down the back seat and lay out a blanket.

However, a number of things are making me re-think.

1. I had to sign a responsibility doc just to test the car. I have never done this before. They told me it was implicit with everyone else when I turned over my driver's license for a test drive. But with more thought, this doesn't seem right.

I can't remember whether I did this in 2013. Doesn't strike me as a biggie, though, given the cost of the car. And it has gotten a reputation as a very fast car, and Tesla has been very eager to encourage test drives in it even if the person isn't an active buyer (they have to get a large segment of the population thinking "electric"). From what I've heard from some of the sales people I know there, test drives can be *wild* experiences -- not because of the sales person driving but because of the customer! Many people are anxious to see how quickly the car accelerates, how fast it can go, what the handling is like if you push it, can you do anything crazy with Autopilot.

So this responsibility doc... I wonder if it's as much about cautioning the test driver not to get too crazy as it is about any financial issues.

2. When I expressed discomfort about the battery pack software upgrade cost of $9000, I was diminished. "Nothing to look at here" "Just like getting a different memory card on your phone" It was rather aggressively dismissed. I don't think it's totally out to lunch, but it is a little unusual seeming to me. More, it was the manner of the "technical expert" or whatever the sales guy was called.

This one bugs me. Your concerns should not be dismissed. Every question you, the customer, have is a good question. If you have the option of going to a different showroom, maybe you should do so. Or if you have the option of engaging with a different sales person, maybe that would be best. I also wonder whether you are treated that way because you are female; but really, no matter WHY your questions are being dismissed, you deserve better.

That said, I have certainly found after visiting multiple showrooms in Massachusetts, Maryland and other states, that there are a considerable variety of Tesla sales people. Some of them come from a computer background. Some of them are very young, maybe even still in college. Some of them are coming out of the traditional auto sales business. There has been more mixing over time; when I first started paying attention to Tesla in 2013, they all seemed to be 19-20 years old and completely new to the auto business. Today, I'm seeing a noticeable influx of traditional auto sales types who seem to have gone through some Tesla reconditioning process. (I can picture it now: "Step 1. Don't be an asshole. Step 2. Don't talk down to any customer, even the 'little women'. Step 3. Don't oversell.") But I think this reconditioning process works better with some sales people than others.

As to the substance of your concern: I infer that you are looking at an S60D and thinking about the software unlock option to turn it into an S75D. The battery pack is maybe the biggest single cost in the car's bill of materials and probably also the biggest concern from the engineering standpoint. That thing is one of the secrets to the car's phenomenal abilities. It's heated AND it's cooled. It's able to be charged through all the standard chargers in the world from a 110 socket all the way up to 80A alternating current third-party chargers. AND you can blast an 135 KILO watts of raw direct current into that thing (at a Tesla Supercharger, for free), giving you hundreds of miles of range in 20-30 minutes. The batteries sitting inside that pack are also expensive.

So Tesla has been playing around with how to make battery sizes available to the customer. They can't possibly afford to give everyone a 100 kWh battery pack (the P100D). But they do want to encourage people to buy some more range. So someone inside that company has figured out that they can afford to give people a 75 kWh battery, charge for it as if it were a 60 kWh battery, and *probably* enough people will do the software unlock that Tesla will net out to a positive on the deal. IMHO, it's a good way to go; it means you get to taste-test the product, and if you find you really want more range, it's easy to add.

The dollar figures being tossed around are, unfortunately, not out of line for this product and for large battery sizes. The world is still struggling to get below $200 per kWh for raw batteries, much less for a finished battery pack. Batteries are on a significant capacity and cost improvement curve, but it is what it is for now.

So: would 75 kWh be worth it for you? Depends on your driving pattern. The Superchargers are located on average 130 miles apart, precisely so that the S60 can use the SC network. I, myself, like having a bigger buffer AND I also like to drive places that are not exactly on the SC network. I travel back and forth between Boston and Washington, DC, and go up into New Hampshire and Maine and Vermont, and west to western New York, and into West Virginia, and so on. So, for me, the extra range of an 85 has been very useful. It's one reason I'm looking forward to upgrading to 100.

If I were configuring a Tesla as a very practical car, as opposed to a mid-life crisis car, I'd immediately toss out the P option and any other high-end stuff. I'd focus primarily on two variables: (1) what kind of driving pattern do I have versus what kind of battery pack size / range do I want to pay for and (2) do I need all-wheel drive or can I get by with rear-wheel drive.

3. It was impressed upon me that everything is under warranty for a long period of time - yet, I hear about these issues with struts not being under warranty.

As others have already pointed out, the strut thing was an artificially-manufactured crisis. As far as I can tell from all the Tesla people I know and talk to -- not just corporate folks but owners -- there's no crisis here.

Normal wear-and-tear items, like tires, will not be covered. Other than that, well, Tesla has been pretty astonishingly comprehensive in its coverage. I wound up needing a new battery pack. List price: $40K. Alan's price: $0. In 3 years, I've only ever paid them for the nose cone that I bashed in my own stupid self.

4. I have concerns about absent-mindedly becoming reliant on autopilot. I raises my discomfort when I read about the fatal crash and how it was not disclosed to investors.

I think the disclosure issue was a manufactured one; I do NOT think it was maliciously hidden with respect to the investing community, the owner community, or anyone else.

That said, I share your concern about autopilot. I picture falling asleep at the wheel. :-( :-( I will STILL get autopilot when I upgrade later this fall. But I will use it strictly as a driving aid, something to back me up. If I discover that I become too complacent when I use it, I'll turn it off. Because this is a feature that is continuing to get software upgrades, I think it's reasonable to buy it now, try it, and even if I don't like it, keep trying it when new software comes out.

HOWEVER, I think it's possible that you can buy the car WITHOUT autopilot and then turn it on later (like with the extra battery). I think it costs a little bit more... but I think you also get a 30-day trial period before finally having to pay for it. So maybe you would be most comfortable going down that path, and trying-before-buying the feature.

I guess what this is boiling down to is this is a LOT of money to spend on a car. I'm usually a Toyota kind-of girl. But I am interested in self-driving and environment. However, my trust in this company has only gone downhill with further inspection. I welcome your thoughts.

I'm sorry that you haven't had the same set of wonderful sales experiences I've had with this company. If too many alarm bells go off for you, then I think you should head for the hills. Maybe you'd feel more comfortable with a BMW i3 or the new Chevy Volt. I can safely tell you that many other people have had great experiences, and that I'm one of them. But I think the last thing you want to do is talk yourself into something you're not going to enjoy.

Best regards,
Alan

P.S. No, I'd never take this amount of time to talk to another potential owner for say Audi or Nissan. The Tesla car and company are exceptional and special and the impact of electrifying the transport system carries major implications for alleviating carbon emissions. These factors make it worth my time (at least in my own mind) to engage others on this topic.

My car, Model X 75D, completed production early last week, it is on its way here to NJ and I am truly suffering from buyer's remorse. I had to rationalize the heck out of this purchase. It is a huge gadget and will eventually become worthless; it's only a car for heaven’s sake. Maybe I should have invested the funds into more real estate or my retirement. This is insane, I am planning to retire this December, I can afford it, I have been frugal, I have worked hard all of my life.

I know I am not going to spend all my money before I die, my sons will get plenty, just $100,000 less! I am worth this. Now, I am re-thinking her name. See, if you enjoy allowing your mind rattle away go ahead and order. Trust me, it is not going to stop after you order. I sure hope that once she arrives I can relax and just enjoy my ride. It’s been an amazing journey so far.

I so hope you get over your mixed feelings and just love your car! I do know a lot of those feelings. What lucky sons you have to inherit! Keep me informed!

PS I had never heard of a wrap. What a great idea!

I tend to look at the glass half full way, I'm getting a battery that is discounted $9K in exchange for a few miles I may or may not need. You also have the option of upgrading if and when you feel like it. It's not a premium, it's a discount in reality. You're actually getting more than if Tesla had sold you a 60kw pack in the first place.

I am trying to think that way, and it's much easier if I take the cheaper option!

Reactions: jbcarioca
If you are a long term person, and you are worried about global warming (as I am), Tesla is a company that is all in on fixing it. Get a Tesla car, and solar panels, if you can afford them. Get a Tesla house battery thing too. Help save the world.

To rent an Airbnb you have to give your driver's license. I have had to let the shop hold my license to test drive a bicycle. No sympathy on that. :) I like my picture on my license too. lol

The 60 battery being software limited is a good thing. The car charges faster between 10% and 80% full, so it recharges all the way faster then if it was truly a 60, and you can upgrade later if you find you need it. Win, win.

Many people confuse commissioned sales people as their friends, and they might well be your friend, but you will only know once you stop being their customer. They are on this Earth to be nice, and to make their money. It isn't that they aren't in it to help you, the good ones are, but they are sales people. Like the people who work for you, being nice to you, it is lonely at the top. I'm sure the Tesla people have seen a million tire kickers, and people who aren't ready. If you aren't ready, they just let you be, not on commission. You can't get it anywhere else, they have time.

I made an appointment, was ready, and my sales guy could close. He asked about budget, I can afford the car easily, and he pushed me to get every option that I might want (no air suspension, have already paid tuition on that). No like a commissioned salesman, but pointing out the priced difference and benefits. Once you are over how much money is involved, the car is better then most anything on the market for $100k or less. It is really in a different category of car, as much like a flip phone is to a smart phone. Not as finely finished as a Merc? Who cares? Not a Tesla buyer if leather dash is a high priority. It is quieter then a Mercedes to drive, think about it, really quiet.

Sleep on it, decide if you want to put out that much money. If you do, just buy on the webpage if you like. That is how you buy at the dealership if you order. They will treat you great on service issues, if you have any. This isn't 2012 for the S, the car is far more mature.

Good luck.

Oh, re driver's license - that didn't bother me. It was more that I didn't always trust the guy's explanations for various things. Yes, it is important to realize that people are often not your friends - but one I bought from after he was a friend, the other I got to know better when his wife and I were in a class together. Both really good guys.

I am going to sleep on it- thanks for your thoughts.

Reactions: PtG62901
We have had ours since December 2012. It is a great car, but it does take more care than a Toyota. We save on gasoline and oil changes, but the depreciation of the car more than offsets any savings. We are at a unique point in time where automobile technology is going through a revolution to something new. This is your chance to be a part of the change. To be a part of this is expensive, but worth it.

If you are planning on road trips, you may want to go for the larger battery.

I think if I go ahead I'll start small, and then up if I have to. Now that my kids are so busy and older, road trips are not as likely. I keep thinking about them because we had a lots of fun on some of them, but will it really occur? Not sure!

You've got me curious - how does it take more care?

My car, Model X 75D, completed production early last week, it is on its way here to NJ and I am truly suffering from buyer's remorse. I had to rationalize the heck out of this purchase. It is a huge gadget and will eventually become worthless; it's only a car for heaven’s sake. Maybe I should have invested the funds into more real estate or my retirement. This is insane, I am planning to retire this December, I can afford it, I have been frugal, I have worked hard all of my life.

I am a 63 year old single woman and I am tired of being invisible, so I ordered a multi-coat red one with a white interior. What was I thinking? Now I am worried that this gadget will attract too much attention. Should I wrap or not? Oh my god, I could go on and on.

Then yesterday my son finally figured out how much I will be spending on this toy and hit the roof. I think I might name her "Senior Moment," and I will be going with a half wrap. If you do pull the trigger, check out the cost of wrapping, even more insanity.

Your choice, if you can afford it, I understand your pain and even if you go ahead and order you may continue to struggle like me. I am going to go through with this, I deserve it, I am grateful for all of my success and do not take it for granted for a minute, treating myself does not come easily for me.

I know I am not going to spend all my money before I die, my sons will get plenty, just $100,000 less! I am worth this. Now, I am re-thinking her name. See, if you enjoy allowing your mind rattle away go ahead and order. Trust me, it is not going to stop after you order. I sure hope that once she arrives I can relax and just enjoy my ride. It’s been an amazing journey so far.

@jo You understand we'll be needing a photo immediately, right?

I am a 63 year old single woman and I am tired of being invisible, so I ordered a multi-coat red one with a white interior. What was I thinking? Now I am worried that this gadget will attract too much attention. Should I wrap or not? Oh my god, I could go on and on.

I have a friend who just took delivery of an S90D. He and his family own a small-to-medium sized business, which his father started. He has worked hard all his life, yet worries that others will think his position was handed to him. He constantly frets about setting the right example for his employees and his family. He's always doing things for others, and often without recognition. Now he's texting me and calling me about his new car, and I can hear his happiness. I know, I know, materialism is shallow. But sometimes it's important to be kind to oneself. I am quite happy for my friend. And when I read what you wrote, I am happy that you have bought a car that might bring you some bright moments in your day.

Then yesterday my son finally figured out how much I will be spending on this toy and hit the roof. I think I might name her "Senior Moment," and I will be going with a half wrap. If you do pull the trigger, check out the cost of wrapping, even more insanity.

I think of wrapping the car as an insurance payment against future possible dings and scrapes. The car body is made of aluminum and the paint is a so-called "soft paint", because California regulations (for worker safety!) don't allow the use of the harder paints found on Detroit cars. I started with Tesla's Paint Armor, which was an option in 2013 that is no longer available today because, well... it was often poor. As received, my Paint Armor had bubbles and wrinkles. I also wasn't happy with its limited coverage: part of the hood, part of the sides, the doors. So I had that Paint Armor stripped off and instead wrapped the front half of the car in Xpel by a good installer. Xpel because it's a good product and good installer because it's worth doing right. Full hood, doors, edges of Xpel wrapped around door edges, so that I protected the car and someone else's car if my kid opened it too far, and my own car if someone opened their door into my door. I saved money by not wrapping the rest of the car. The theory is that most sources of damage are coming at you from the front, as you drive, or the sides when you're parked.

Then I got my rear bumper dinged. Took a week at the Tesla-authorized body shop and cost $1700.

So I got the rest of the car wrapped.

Since then, I've had enough dings and scrapes that were cushioned by the Xpel that I estimate I've saved around $5K net (cost of body work versus cost of Xpel).

That's an example of a cost I wouldn't have bothered with for the other cars I've owned.

Alan

I am a 63 year old single woman and I am tired of being invisible, so I ordered a multi-coat red one with a white interior.

Then yesterday my son finally figured out how much I will be spending on this toy and hit the roof.

Don't feel guilty about spending your money. Your sons will have a cool Mom. You can wear matching accessories.

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec and EinSV
Oh, re driver's license - that didn't bother me. It was more that I didn't always trust the guy's explanations for various things. Yes, it is important to realize that people are often not your friends - but one I bought from after he was a friend, the other I got to know better when his wife and I were in a class together. Both really good guys.

I am going to sleep on it- thanks for your thoughts.

Karen, if you haven't made up your mind, or even if you have, please join us on September 13th at the Hy-Vee in Oakdale.
A group of Tesla owners will be gathering there to celebrate the opening of the Oakdale supercharger.
You can ask for experiences, opinions and ownership experiences of a wide variety of owners.

As for the Tesla rep, I would ask you to provide that feedback to either Alex or Libby at the Eden Prairie store. This is not typical and they need to know what type of experience you had.
Likewise, I would suggest another test drive with Libby. She is awesome and the most experienced member there.

As for the suspension, I've been through six Minnesota winters, with a variety of Tesla vehicles. Our first Model S had 66k miles on it when we sold it to a good friend (also in Minnesota). No issues so far with the suspension.

I also live in MN (hi Zythryn). I've had my S85 for almost two years now. Like you, I'm frugal: my other two cars are a 2000 Camry and 1998 Siena. The Tesla was *way* more money than I've ever spent for a car. But I have to say I've never regretted my purchase. I'm not sure why someone said it's more maintenance than a Toyota, because for me it has been less. Never have to go to the gas station, never have to do oil changes or belt changes or a zillion other changes. Certainly no suspension problems. I don't care about depreciation because, obviously, I keep my cars "forever". Based on the past two years, I expect my Model S to last many years. And it's been a joy to drive.

And yes, join us at the Oakdale Hy Vee on the 13th.

Reactions: Ormond