Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fellow car cleaning obsessives...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did give up with a prewash beyond a rinse, I really didn't find there was any difference after spraying on foam the washing it off.
There's a myth - mainly put about by the snow foam makers - that snow foam will give you a touchless wash. While they will pull some dirt off very muddy cars, they won't do much visibly to normal levels of dirt. What they do well though is to soften the dirt, so when you do drag that cloth across your paintwork a lot of the dirt is softened and encapsulated in the detergent. You'll get a similar effect by spraying the shampoo on the car, but it won't dwell as long as snow foam. Unless you've got a well polished car and are a bit obsessive, you'll not really notice the difference.

I should point out that there are some foams such as Bilt Hamber Autofoam that will take a layer of dirt off, it is quite alkaline at ph 13/14, so you need to get the dilution right if you're not to prematurely wear away any wax or sealant you have on the car.

Reactions: Tatoo1
what is the general concensus with the round patio cleaning heads - are they worth it (for patio)?
Depends on how well maintained your patio is. I used one of these (an earlier version IIRC) and that will get pretty much anything off your slabs. Don't use it near the car though. It will go through rubber seals.
When I got my K4 it came with the patio cleaner so I gave it a try and it's pretty good. Not quite as much cleaning power as the aforementioned, but on a reasonably clean patio, it works well. It's also a lot less messy since the head stops the water and dirt from going everywhere.

Reactions: adambg
Finally got round to adding a couple of pics of my attempt at hand washing myself.

I never used to hand wash my previous cars, always left it to the local hand car wash places however when I bought the S I got it PPF’d and ceramic coated so can’t really use those places any more as I need to use PH neutral products. I am a complete novice. Bought a karcher and a snow foam Lance and then it was pretty much trial and error.

I first rinse it off, then use the snow foam and allow it to stand for 10 mins or so. Rinse and then use a snow foam shampoo, cover it and then use a wash mitt to clean and agitate the shampoo.

Followed by a rinse and dry with a drying towel.

Here is what I use.

Pro-Kleen Snow Foam Lance For Use... Pro-Kleen Snow Foam Lance For Use With Karcher K Series Pressure Washers: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Pro-Kleen pH Neutral Snow Foam... Pro-Kleen pH Neutral Snow Foam Pre-Wash Car Shampoo (10L) Does NOT Strip Waxes/Protective Coatings Creates Super Thick, Non-Caustic Foam Safely Loosens Dirt Grime NO Added Dyes, Waxes or Fragrances: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Autoglym PWS002.5 Polar Wash 2.5L Amazon.co.uk

Gtechniq WM2 Microfibre Wash Mitt... Gtechniq WM2 Microfibre Wash Mitt - Ultra Low Friction Washcloth, Soft Glide Minimises Swirl Marks - Holds Maximum Volume Of Soap Suds, 100% Split Varied Length Polyester Strands For A Quick Easy Wash: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Gtechniq MF4 Diamond Sandwich... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0105SFDZ8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

View attachment 659106View attachment 659107View attachment 659108View attachment 659109
I think a bunch of fish just died in that creek close to you house.

I'd also look at Ava pressure washers. 10/20 year warranty, they use Karcher connectors and I managed to snag the P55 Go Limited Edition (comes with nearly every attachment) for £150 in a sale only recently. All of the go models come with a good snow foam cannon, too (I think the bottle is a bit small, but it's enough to coat a M3 in one go)
+1 for Ava, I picked up the P70 Master from Halfords recently in prep for my MY when it arrives, been using it on my current touran and its been perfect, I love the built in hose reel and things like the warranty really sold it for me, the company is very right for repair focused so offer loads of parts should you need it too.

Reactions: Skie and browellm
+1 for Ava, I picked up the P70 Master from Halfords recently in prep for my MY when it arrives, been using it on my current touran and its been perfect, I love the built in hose reel and things like the warranty really sold it for me, the company is very right for repair focused so offer loads of parts should you need it too.
Karcher have plenty of spare parts too. Also 3rd party accessories tend to be made for Karcher. All of this being a moot point as the OP has already bought his washer :)

Reactions: adambg

I've been using a Karcher K4 for around 4 years now initially to remove excess dirt deposits and then after shampooing the car to remove all suds. Earlier this year I bought a 15m Karcher compatible hose from Direct Hoses which has helped save time with moving the K4 to different places when washing and rinsing.

To throw in another recommendation (even though the last person to ask has already bought), I'm using a Karcher K5 premium coupled with a MTM Hydro SGS35 short trigger.

The trigger just allows for better control and removes the need to wave a 1m+ wand in front of the car.
The wand, even though detached from the hose can still be used to adjust the pressure output of the water.
10m hose is housed on a reel contained on the pressure washer, the hose does not kink.

Attachments

• 20220817_152945.jpg
    20220817_152945.jpg
    739.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
How does that work? Is it a K5 feature?
The Karcher wand communicates wirelessly to the motor within the unit, essentially it's a remote control for setting the pressure of the device so can still be used to adjust the pressure even though the wand is no longer connected to the hose.

With the short trigger I lose the ability to change the pressure 'on the fly' - but generally whilst cleaning the car I only use two of the available settings. Max for applying snow foam, then about 50% when rinsing the car with water. So I just store the wand on the machine and return to the machine to adjust the pressure. You could alternatively use the phone app.

Reactions: Doudeau and init6
The Karcher wand communicates wirelessly to the motor within the unit, essentially it's a remote control for setting the pressure of the device so can still be used to adjust the pressure even though the wand is no longer connected to the hose.

With the short trigger I lose the ability to change the pressure 'on the fly' - but generally whilst cleaning the car I only use two of the available settings. Max for applying snow foam, then about 50% when rinsing the car with water. So I just store the wand on the machine and return to the machine to adjust the pressure. You could alternatively use the phone app.
I see it's a Smart Control feature only available on the K5 and above.

I've thought of a stubby gun andI tend not to change my pressure too much when washing the car. Would have to swap out for washing the patio, but that's a less frequent job.