Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fellow car cleaning obsessives...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I'm hoping to get my MY this quarter, and now thinking ahead about how to clean it. I've never had a nice car before so am a complete n00b when it comes to cleaning cars at home. I also am useless at anything DIY.... which leads to my question here. I realise this is a Tesla forum, not a DIY forum, but I hope one of you can help please! Can anyone recommend something which I can use to both clean the car and also pressure wash our patio/driveway? Does that even exist? I did some searches and see some people against pressure washing the car due to damage. I'm happy to just use a bucket if that is true, and I can get some of the products discussed here. I'm guessing perhaps it's an inverse relationship; in that I would want the higher pressure washer for the patio, but a lower pressure for the car? Anything any one can advise is useful! P.S. Hoping to spend < £200. I note the Karcher Outlet has some good deals. Thanks in advance!

Hello all. I'm hoping to get my MY this quarter, and now thinking ahead about how to clean it. I've never had a nice car before so am a complete n00b when it comes to cleaning cars at home. I also am useless at anything DIY.... which leads to my question here. I realise this is a Tesla forum, not a DIY forum, but I hope one of you can help please! Can anyone recommend something which I can use to both clean the car and also pressure wash our patio/driveway? Does that even exist? I did some searches and see some people against pressure washing the car due to damage. I'm happy to just use a bucket if that is true, and I can get some of the products discussed here. I'm guessing perhaps it's an inverse relationship; in that I would want the higher pressure washer for the patio, but a lower pressure for the car? Anything any one can advise is useful! P.S. Hoping to spend < £200. I note the Karcher Outlet has some good deals. Thanks in advance!
Karcher is ok, the outlet usually do packs with a patio cleaner attachment although ours slowly fell apart and I just use the jet now.

It’s not tricky to clean a car, this is the type of steps I follow on our MY, but I don’t snow foam every time

Reactions: adambg
Pressure washers don't damages cars - not sure where you read that. Sure if you use the ultra powerful stone cleaning wand on the rubber of a car you might do some damage, but if you're sensible then you won't do any damage.
Biggest piece of advice I'd give is to use two buckets - or at least don't rinse the dirty cloth/sponge in the same bucket as your nice clean soapy water. You'll just end up dragging dirt across your paintwork and that's what makes the little scratches that dull the paintwork.

Head over to detailingworld.co.uk for lots of advice on how to keep a car clean - I'm sure there are beginners videos, ping me if you can't find them.

I've got a Kaacher k4 which with the right wand is perfect for cleaning the patio and with a different wand will clean the car without damaging it. The one that comes with it does an ok on the patio though.

Reactions: Adopado and adambg
I think most people use a pressure washer of some description these days, particularly as you need it to operate a snow foam spray. Maybe don't go for the largest most powerful, but anything reasonable will do your patio and car. I have a Karcher K2, but I think in general Netfisk are recommended to be more reliable.

Oh, one word on jetwashers, check the length of the hose, the bigger more powerful ones tend to have a longer hose which makle it a lot easier to get around the car, but takes longer to wind away afterwards. K2 and below only have 4m hoses whereas the K3 is 7m and the K4 is 8m so I'd be looking at one of those.

Just looking at the outlet store, having said they normally do bundles including patio cleaner, they don't at the moment!

I think most people use a pressure washer of some description these days, particularly as you need it to operate a snow foam spray. Maybe don't go for the largest most powerful, but anything reasonable will do your patio and car. I have a Karcher K2, but I think in general Netfisk are recommended to be more reliable.
I have a Nilfisk and they do an Auto nozzle which gives you a nice wide spray for rinsing the car off and also reduces the pressure. I used to have a Karcher, but I can’t really compare them as the Karcher was a really old model.

I’ve also spent a few quid on a decent spray bottle for the pre-wash/foam and not the one that comes with it. Echoing what others have said, I also got an extension hose between washer and the wand so I’m not dragging the washer unit around, it stays in one place and makes it easier.

After the pre-wash/foam, I’ve also started to use Polar shampoo that is sprayed on, so I use one less bucket.

I have a Karcher and it has a vario power lance that is perfect for the car and a standard pressure washer lance that I can use for the ground. Although I picked up a T-Racer surface cleaner for the drive/patio as it won’t flick stones and dirt everywhere.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I went for the Karcher K4 from the outlet as I can't at this point justify the cost of a better/newer one or a Nilfisk. For me, I'm sure it will be plenty good enough! It comes with one of the wands, what is the general concensus with the round patio cleaning heads - are they worth it (for patio)?

Thank you all so much for the advice. I went for the Karcher K4 from the outlet as I can't at this point justify the cost of a better/newer one or a Nilfisk. For me, I'm sure it will be plenty good enough! It comes with one of the wands, what is the general concensus with the round patio cleaning heads - are they worth it (for patio)?
I’ve york stone and it was ok for a few years but stones started to break bits off it and it’s now got to a point where it’s scrap. That said, probably got 7 years out of it doing a stone patio 15m x 10m, a few stone paths and a large wooden decking area.

I'd also look at Ava pressure washers. 10/20 year warranty, they use Karcher connectors and I managed to snag the P55 Go Limited Edition (comes with nearly every attachment) for £150 in a sale only recently. All of the go models come with a good snow foam cannon, too (I think the bottle is a bit small, but it's enough to coat a M3 in one go)

Just as an aside, I had my car ceramic coated and in my experience it does make the washing so much simpler. Seems to stay cleaner too.

If you don't have your car yet you might want to look into it.

I have a Nilfisk and they do an Auto nozzle which gives you a nice wide spray for rinsing the car off and also reduces the pressure. I used to have a Karcher, but I can’t really compare them as the Karcher was a really old model.

I’ve also spent a few quid on a decent spray bottle for the pre-wash/foam and not the one that comes with it. Echoing what others have said, I also got an extension hose between washer and the wand so I’m not dragging the washer unit around, it stays in one place and makes it easier.

After the pre-wash/foam, I’ve also started to use Polar shampoo that is sprayed on, so I use one less bucket.
I apply shampoo with the foam gun too, so then 1 bucket to rinse is all that's required. I use Dodo Juice Born to be Mild, and just mix enough for a bucket full with enough water to fill the spray.

I did give up with a prewash beyond a rinse, I really didn't find there was any difference after spraying on foam the washing it off.