Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fellow car cleaning obsessives...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you’ve already bought enough cleaning products then stop reading my post now.

Before I picked up my Tesla I wasn’t aware of this UK forum and I was reading the US forum and found a discussion on “must have’s” and I’m sure many people said you should purchase these UV wipes. I did but have never used them. I recall it was important to wipe down your dashboard to prevent damage/discolouring from the sun.

303 Products 30910 Marine & Recreation Aerospace Protectant-40, 40 Towelettes https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002YI72TS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.p3ZEbAWMSW1Y

Any thoughts?

Are they only relevant in the sunnier parts of the US? Apologies again for all those that now feel the need to buy some if they’re unnecessary.
I bought the spray version of that product, adds a nice shine to the dashboard and other plastics and is apparently good for avoiding discolouration from the sun.

The surface needs to be clean before it's applied though.

303 Products 303 (30340CSR) Products Marine Aerospace Ultimate UV Protection-Keeps Vinyl, Rubber, and Plastic Looking New, Longer, 16 fl. oz, One Color https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0004ELKC4/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_Ow4ZEbQ5CRQX5

If you’ve already bought enough cleaning products then stop reading my post now.

Before I picked up my Tesla I wasn’t aware of this UK forum and I was reading the US forum and found a discussion on “must have’s” and I’m sure many people said you should purchase these UV wipes. I did but have never used them. I recall it was important to wipe down your dashboard to prevent damage/discolouring from the sun.

303 Products 30910 Marine & Recreation Aerospace Protectant-40, 40 Towelettes https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002YI72TS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.p3ZEbAWMSW1Y

Any thoughts?

Are they only relevant in the sunnier parts of the US? Apologies again for all those that now feel the need to buy some if they’re unnecessary.
I think the fact that the Amazon listing has a picture of the seat on a boat tells me everything I need to know. Besides which, I doubt that the UK whether is going to bleach/damage the dash that badly. I shall not purchase that product *saves some cash!

Just updated the section mentioning water filters (Cleaning your Tesla - TeslaEV.co.uk) to include a link to a Dissolved Solids Meter so you can check how effective the resin is so you know when to replace.

I learnt the hard way last time (lots of very hard to remove - needed to buy water spot remover - water spots), so happy to spend less than a tenner to test it every couple of washes :)

Reactions: AnthonyLR
Just updated the section mentioning water filters (Cleaning your Tesla - TeslaEV.co.uk) to include a link to a Dissolved Solids Meter so you can check how effective the resin is so you know when to replace.

I learnt the hard way last time (lots of very hard to remove - needed to buy water spot remover - water spots), so happy to spend less than a tenner to test it every couple of washes :)
I was looking at getting a filter, also so I can clean my house windows with it.

How long does yours last? How many car princes and what size tank have you got?

Thanks

Second wash done today including first time with the quick detail and wet coat. (No one told me how nice the quick detail smells lol)
Also did the glass with the G6 glass cleaner too....shoulders are burning, there’s a lot of glass!!

Only downside is it shows up the rather thin paint or that’s what I’m assuming. Slight stone chip on the rear quarter panel up high which I’m not sure I’ve had on any other car.

Spot scuff mark in a very odd place on one alloy wheel too, cant have been from a kerb so maybe it was there when It arrived and I just didnt notice, oh well, these things will happen no point leaving it wrapped in bubble wrap and not driving it!!

Products were good though.

At the risk of making this hobby even more expensive..... how do you guys store your cleaning kit, especially the cloths and towels that you want to keep grit free?!

Wet coat done on all panels except the bonnet as the sun was beating me there and it says explicitly never to do it in the sun so I’ll get that next time

Attachments

• F2D58C28-0A39-45CE-ACB1-07495C9AB5A4.jpeg
    F2D58C28-0A39-45CE-ACB1-07495C9AB5A4.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 3D080813-3825-4AB3-BF61-2F249F9D2BDB.jpeg
    3D080813-3825-4AB3-BF61-2F249F9D2BDB.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 297B2E5B-97F6-4276-A05B-B36AFA627EFC.jpeg
    297B2E5B-97F6-4276-A05B-B36AFA627EFC.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 9AA4792B-A1DA-40F8-B3E3-0717DC8F088A.jpeg
    9AA4792B-A1DA-40F8-B3E3-0717DC8F088A.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 44
I went for the 7 litre one, it reckons in my hard water area somewhere between 50-60 washes, I suspect I use more water than they recommend though, I’m paranoid about it :)

Interested in this too, they’re suggesting around 30 litres per wash based on a hosepipe.

My Karcher does 380l/hr, I’m trying to figure out how much of the car washing time I’m actually blasting with the jet wash, including foaming I’m thinking it’s probably 15 mins so closer to 100lires

Or in this use case should I just connect the filter for the final rinse? In which case it’ll last ages?!

Ref the comment about the house windows,does that mean I could just blast the windows with the jet wash, leave them to dry and job done?! I’m sold if that’s the case!!

Interested in this too, they’re suggesting around 30 litres per wash based on a hosepipe.

My Karcher does 380l/hr, I’m trying to figure out how much of the car washing time I’m actually blasting with the jet wash, including foaming I’m thinking it’s probably 15 mins so closer to 100lires

Or in this use case should I just connect the filter for the final rinse? In which case it’ll last ages?!

Ref the comment about the house windows,does that mean I could just blast the windows with the jet wash, leave them to dry and job done?! I’m sold if that’s the case!!

Just for the final rinse is all you need :)

Several years ago during a hosepipe ban I had a garage wall that needed jet washing. I filled up a wheelie bin by syphoning grey water from the bath. I can't remember which wheelie bin I used, but it would have been either 140l or 240l, suspect the latter.

The wall needed significant blasting (far higher pressure than I would use on car) and took far longer than it would have taken to wash a car, iirc 3/4 hour but memory hazy and possibly setup time in that. I was gobsmacked how little water it used, possibly no more than 1/4 the volume, if that, so potentially 35-60litres. Its a Karcher k7, so potentially big capacity, but other than that, I don't know what flow rate is.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
Second wash done today including first time with the quick detail and wet coat. (No one told me how nice the quick detail smells lol)
Also did the glass with the G6 glass cleaner too....shoulders are burning, there’s a lot of glass!!

Only downside is it shows up the rather thin paint or that’s what I’m assuming. Slight stone chip on the rear quarter panel up high which I’m not sure I’ve had on any other car.

Spot scuff mark in a very odd place on one alloy wheel too, cant have been from a kerb so maybe it was there when It arrived and I just didnt notice, oh well, these things will happen no point leaving it wrapped in bubble wrap and not driving it!!

Products were good though.

At the risk of making this hobby even more expensive..... how do you guys store your cleaning kit, especially the cloths and towels that you want to keep grit free?!

Wet coat done on all panels except the bonnet as the sun was beating me there and it says explicitly never to do it in the sun so I’ll get that next time

Looks beaut, nice job.

After having finished with my cloths, they are rinsed again and then put on the line to dry out. Then, when dry, I will shake them off to remove any last bits of sediment etc n then fold up n put in the car cleaning box!

Is there any product which will reduce that amount of pollen and dust that sticks to my car? I love washing my car but I live down a gravel lane and when it's dry the dust just sticks to the car!
None that I've found. I live near a farm and the car gets covered from dust they kick up even when the car is just sat doing nothing.

A good paint protection on the car means a rinse and a wipe down can remove it without much trouble just do it as early as you can in the day when the car is coolest and before the sun gets on it. .

As an aside I've gone back to wax having tried various ceramic finishes. Maybe its pychological (a bit like vinyl v digital music) but the colours just seem so much better with a good wax. A llight machine polish once or twice a year and then the polish. If I did pick up any waterspots the machine polish would deal with it but generally I don't.

Reactions: TomD
Looks like Gtechniq have launched their own version of Wet Coat, or similar anyway. You apply via a hose, so interesting approach, I wonder if you use the whole bottle in one sitting.

You can get refills, so the attachment isn't single use.

Reactions: davidmc