Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FINALLY!!! Maintenance Plans and Extended Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But did you notice that us early adopters have to pay an extra $500 since we owned the car for over 180 days?? I thought they would offer a waiver since they just announced the extended warranty
Absolutely agree with your tweet. I have been asking the DS since the day we took delivery and every time she said will let you know when I hear something.

It seems like their Fiscal guys have calculated higher maintenance risk for cars older than 180 days, perhaps? :mad:

It's finally available on MyTesla for the X!

View attachment 213139
Total waste of money!
Totally not needed either.
Save your money!
My 2013 had over 120,000 km and no real issues.
I even brought it in for a door latch that wasn't working and they didn't charge me even though the warranty had long expired.
They also had to replace the charge port due to corrosion and didn't charge me either.
The extended warranty is a system wide option from Tesla but your individual SC people treat it differently if they know you.
Bringing coffee and donuts for everyone once in a while I guess helped.
Buttom line here is to not jump to a decision on extended warranty too quickly. The chances of a major issue after warranty expiration is very small. Tesla just wants your money and I say don't give it to them.
As I said, coffee and donuts from time to time goes a long way.

Reactions: xkwizit
Total waste of money!
Save your money!
I even brought it in for a door latch that wasn't working and they didn't charge me even though the warranty had long expired.
They also had to replace the charge port due to corrosion and didn't charge me either.
The extended warranty is a system wide option from Tesla but your individual SC people treat it differently if they know you.
Buttom line here is to not jump to a decision on extended warranty too quickly. The chances of a major issue after warranty expiration is very small. Tesla just wants your money and I say don't give it to them.
While I've had the same experience with my S, and wouldn't consider the extended warranty on that car, I feel quite a bit differently about my X. "Total waste of money!" is probably overstating the position.

I posted this caveat elsewhere, but here it is for this thread. Sorry for the repetitiveness, but I think it is important to note.

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires after 4 years or 50k miles. So if someone is approaching 50k miles and wants the extended warranty, they'll need to purchase it before 4 years have passed (that will likely be my case after about 2-2.5 years).

Boy, someday Tesla will start behaving as though they actually believe that EVs require less maintenance. This sort of pricing will not be accepted at all on the Model 3. Here's our 2017 Leaf's schedule for comparison. You'd be hard-pressed to hit the cost of one Tesla service inspection through the entire Leaf warranty period.

• Informative
Reactions: xkwizit
I had plans to eventually replace the rest of my cars with Tesla's.

The 3 would replace my TLX
The S would replace my ELR
The Y would replace my RDX

But these increased service plans will result in a reconsideration.

While I've had the same experience with my S, and wouldn't consider the extended warranty on that car, I feel quite a bit differently about my X. "Total waste of money!" is probably overstating the position.

I posted this caveat elsewhere, but here it is for this thread. Sorry for the repetitiveness, but I think it is important to note.

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires after 4 years or 50k miles. So if someone is approaching 50k miles and wants the extended warranty, they'll need to purchase it before 4 years have passed (that will likely be my case after about 2-2.5 years).

Are you gonna consider trading in or selling the car instead of pursuing the ESA?

Total waste of money!
Save your money!

Agree maybe. But the luxury we have (most of us) is that you don't have to purchase it until around your initial 4 years end. At that time we'll likely (in 3 years about for most) have a lot more reliability information on our Xs, we'll know if certain parts/systems start to fail in future or will fail, if it could be worth the cost or not, etc.

For example, we all with initial builds 100% know our front door latches would fail and could figure out the price to replace those. The FWDs have held up well so far but perhaps after 3 years everyone's springs start to pop or something, etc.

Plan on making the decision in about 3 years here depending on what my car has already had done and what others are seeing. Also based on the fact that if I'll have it likely for +4 years after or not as there will be significant upgrades by then and competition/options to choose from.

-T

I don't mind the cost of the X warranty -- mostly because I'm afraid of how much a door will cost down the road.

But those service fees are a huge ripoff. Costs way more than an ICE minivan/SUV.

Maybe you are making the wrong ICE comparisons. This video explains if you compare prices to vehicles that cost as much, Tesla service is cheaper:

Here is a screen shot from the video:

teslaMaintenanceCosts.png