Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FINALLY!!! Maintenance Plans and Extended Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I may wait. I mean, its like $5500 to buy here and a $200 deductible still per visit. What is going to cost that much that isn't already excluded to replace likely. I know it is an insurance policy somewhat, but if the car seems reliable by end of 4 years and like it'll hold up fine, then spending 2-3K on fixes over the years would be less than the prepaid ESA.

-T

Reactions: Maaz
I bought an ESA once for my benz as I was taking a CPO. Someone crashed into the car and totaled it before even the original warranty expired. So I wrote to the benz dealer in Bay Area who sold me the car for a refund and their Finance guy said they don't have any records of them selling an ESA to me. So I had to PDF the copy and send it to him. Apparently this was a new guy and he blamed the other guy for not filing papers properly. It took them six weeks after that for them to process the refund. Apparently they never had to process a refund on ESA. This is just another profit center.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and K-MTG
One way to look at it is, your better off investing $5K yourself in a solid equity, say AAPL (even TSLA) and earning 5% return a year over year. You'd have about $6K (or more if >5%) at the end of 4 years to still buy the plan if you want, and have made a little even over the increased price at that point hehehe...

I noticed the OP did not respond when asked what showed on their My Tesla page in regards to purchasing Maintenance Plans and ESAs.

It's gone from my "My Tesla page" and I have the service agreement. That's why I thought there was no discretion involved but I see now I was wrong about that. That's pretty poor on Tesla's part to refuse to sell it if you don't do service. It makes me wonder what is being done during service that they are concerned will fail later if it's not done. It makes me glad I got the service plan but also concerned now if I don't get the extended warranty since Tesla seems to be concerned about costly repairs after the initial warranty expires if they are refusing to sell the ESA to some people.

This is all I have now on my "My Tesla page":

Your Maintenance Plan and Extended Service Agreements
  • 4-Year Maintenance Plan

Total of 4 annual service inspections
    Each inspection performed every 12 months/20,000 km
    Purchased

I can't see anywhere where I can buy the ESA like before. Can others?

That's pretty poor on Tesla's part to refuse to sell it if you don't do service.

Yeah, so far we really only have the one report. The language of the ESA says "during the agreement" I believe, so that fellow might could have argued that point. I don't think we ever heard if he was able to resolve it with a different service center either.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they do hold folks to the actual contract wording at least during the plan.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they do hold folks to the actual contract wording at least during the plan.

What if the warranty repair has nothing to do with service. For example, condensation in the taillights? They will deny it because you didn't do the service? That would be outrageous.

But if you buy the ESA you should be doing the service to take anyway potential denial, especially now that they are not even selling to at least one person who didn't do service, unless he got it resolved.

What if the warranty repair has nothing to do with service. For example, condensation in the taillights? They will deny it because you didn't do the service? That would be outrageous.

But if you buy the ESA you should be doing the service to take anyway potential denial, especially now that they are not even selling to at least one person who didn't do service, unless he got it resolved.

I agree, its a bit crazy. Maybe the taillight example is why they say "may" in the FAQ.

We havent seen the new contract yet either, it will be interesting to see what has changed from the current one.

Here is what I choose to believe (until I see sufficient evidence to the contrary).

There is a 4 year/50,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
There is a 8 year/unlimited mile Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty.

Tesla recommends service every 1 year/12,500 miles.
You may purchase a 3 or 4 year Maintenance Plan within 1 year of delivery to prepay for this service.
You are not required to have the recommended service performed for the warranties to be valid.

You may purchase a 2 or 4 year Extended Service Agreement within 30 days/1,000 miles of the expiration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
This does not cover the drivetrain as it is still covered under the Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty.
If you do not follow the recommended service schedule during the ESA Tesla may refuse to repair the parts of the vehicle covered by the ESA.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: beths11 and GSP
It's gone from my "My Tesla page" and I have the service agreement. That's why I thought there was no discretion involved but I see now I was wrong about that. That's pretty poor on Tesla's part to refuse to sell it if you don't do service. It makes me wonder what is being done during service that they are concerned will fail later if it's not done. It makes me glad I got the service plan but also concerned now if I don't get the extended warranty since Tesla seems to be concerned about costly repairs after the initial warranty expires if they are refusing to sell the ESA to some people.

Purchased

This is probably a bug since on your mytesla page it lets you choose just one or both a choice for maintenance and extended service agreement at the same time, and pay for both (or just one). The site probably checks to see if you have bought one and then doesn't display the other one if so even. You'll probably just have to go to the SC to add the ESA now/later.

-T

Was stressing wether or not early adopters would get the $500 discount. But now I'm considering waiting until closer to the 4 year expiration date to make my decision. No idea what car will be out by then, and either way it's a long time and I could instead just hang on to the $5k.

Purchased

Still available on MyTesla ... :cool:

upload_2017-2-3_22-32-46.png

Wow these are a little more expensive than I anticipated. I'll have to see how much repair prices are and the reliability of the FWD before deciding on the 4 year ESA but at $4250, plus potentially having to do annual inspections then to be eligible ($2750), that's $7000 + $200 deductible each time? Wow...

Right now I'm thinking of skipping the 1st and 3rd year inspection, but pay out of pocket for the 2 year and 4 year inspection especially if those include changing out the HEPA filters and since we don't know the costs of the wipers (but I'll presume it's like $100 each). I can change my own keyfob batteries...

Anyone else thinking similarly?

New MX owner, few questions.

- Car is going to SC 2nd time for fixing pending due bill item issues and new problems that have occurred since 1dt SC visit, first visit I had to pay nothing. At what point do I need to pay for having vehicle go into service? If it is a warranty claim do I still pay deductible of $200 each visit and labor charges?

- The yearly service in 4 years is not paid for and is something I need to buy? What happens if I do not buy but a part under warranty starts to malfunction and needs replacement, do I pay any deductible?

New MX owner, few questions.

- Car is going to SC 2nd time for fixing pending due bill item issues and new problems that have occurred since 1dt SC visit, first visit I had to pay nothing. At what point do I need to pay for having vehicle go into service? If it is a warranty claim do I still pay deductible of $200 each visit and labor charges?

- The yearly service in 4 years is not paid for and is something I need to buy? What happens if I do not buy but a part under warranty starts to malfunction and needs replacement, do I pay any deductible?
For any warranty work the amount charged to you will be zero as long as the car has been under normal use.

• Helpful
Reactions: krazineurons