Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>800 credit score and no debt.

DCU denied my loan application. Wouldn't even approve it for a partial amount.

Looks like I'll have to fall back on my Penfed approval.

A number of my previous auto loans were with PenFed, but they have not been competitive (IMO) as of late. Did you try Energy or Alliant? They are both lower rate (on longer terms, didn't look at the shorter terms) as PenFed.

A number of my previous auto loans were with PenFed, but they have not been competitive (IMO) as of late. Did you try Energy or Alliant? They are both lower rate (on longer terms, didn't look at the shorter terms) as PenFed.

Already an Alliant member for a few years, so I'll throw one their way. Of course, everybody seems to want to pull the same CRA multiple times: USAA (applied before I realized how bad their rates were), Penfedx2, DCUx2 and then they complain there are too many recent inquiries. Derp.

Already an Alliant member for a few years, so I'll throw one their way. Of course, everybody seems to want to pull the same CRA multiple times: USAA (applied before I realized how bad their rates were), Penfedx2, DCUx2 and then they complain there are too many recent inquiries. Derp.

So be it, but their scoring algorithms should consider ALL (regardless of financial institution) pulls within a 14-day window as a single inquiry. The consumer credit scoring algorithms do that explicitly b/c consumers typically shop around for rate. Mortgage credit scoring algorithms often will use a 30-day window instead of the 14-day window.

So be it, but their scoring algorithms should consider ALL (regardless of financial institution) pulls within a 14-day window as a single inquiry. The consumer credit scoring algorithms do that explicitly b/c consumers typically shop around for rate. Mortgage credit scoring algorithms often will use a 30-day window instead of the 14-day window.

You can shop around for a rate without pulling your credit score. It won be exact, but it'll give you a ballpark. All you need is your approximate credit score and your DTI.

I spoke with several lenders, each said they can obviously pull my credit for a more exact quote, but they can give me a ballpark with the numbers I brought to them.

Max, I guess that is where I am at essentially. I know I have top tier credit, but I don't know my recent credit score (it was 791 in late 2013). As such, I just look at the rate sheets for what their best rate is. If they provide what the cut off for their tiers are and the rates for those tiers, then that would be useful as well and you can guestimate which tier you will be in.

Max, I guess that is where I am at essentially. I know I have top tier credit, but I don't know my recent credit score (it was 791 in late 2013). As such, I just look at the rate sheets for what their best rate is. If they provide what the cut off for their tiers are and the rates for those tiers, then that would be useful as well and you can guestimate which tier you will be in.

Most places will provide that info when asked. My credit union told me they needed 720 and a DTI of 55% (surprising). But if you want to finance more than 80% they add 0.5% to the APR.

Allient said credit score of 760 for top tier, don't remember DTI, and they do up to 100%, with no discount for 20% down payment.

Those are the only two I checked, but my numbers are above that, so I wasn't concerned. When I'm a month out (I guess in a few weeks?) I'll have them pull my credit and lock in the rate.

DS send me an email advertising USalliance "110% LTV, 84 months loan".

The rates on the website are a little high... But after speaking with USAlliance, they give you a 1% discount on the APR (making the rates very competitive) if you "bundle" (with code "bundle2015" or something like that), so the 60 month loan is 1.24% APR and an 84 month loan is 2.74%.

"Bundling" would include opening a checking account, and transfer my direct deposit to them...

DS send me an email advertising USalliance "110% LTV, 84 months loan".

The rates on the website are a little high... But after speaking with USAlliance, they give you a 1% discount on the APR (making the rates very competitive) if you "bundle" (with code "bundle2015" or something like that), so the 60 month loan is 1.24% APR and an 84 month loan is 2.74%.

"Bundling" would include opening a checking account, and transfer my direct deposit to them...

Yup that's what I got, great rates!

Just to follow-up here, Alliant was a breeze to work with. Got everything approved (1.99 @ 60 months) and sent through to Tesla in about 24 hours. I'm picking up my 85D tomorrow @ noon. :biggrin:

Add me to the list of recent, poor experiences. Digital CU -applied for 90% LTV, 60 month, opened a checking account with them to make it easy. Spoke to agent in the beginning who confirmed what's on the web site: advertised rates for car loans include a 0.5% discount for "electronic payment" and while they preferred direct deposit, thats not required. So, open up the account, apply, takes them 3 weeks 5 emails 3 hours on the phone (with an income well above the requirement, credit score >820) to find out, finally, that i qualify for a 2.24% 60 months loan "since you're not doing direct deposit." Too angry to argue about the additional fuel economy credit. Gave her a 5 second opportunity to realize her mistake, then hung up on them.

Anyone else have and then resolve this program? Will calling back and di discussing with a different agent be helpful, or a waste of time?

I was a little luckier. I applied and it took a little prodding to get back in touch with them and get them to respond. I was told 1.24%, 60 months. My income was well above what would be required and a almost 800 FICO, but they approved me for a tops of $75k (which is close to what I was seeking, so I didn't argue). Only after doing all the checking account, getting signed up etc, did I find out about the direct deposit requirement to get the 1.24%. Otherwise it would be a 1.74%.

I wrote an email to the loan officer I was dealing with, and started it off with "Please forward this to your supervisor." I expressed my disappointment with the process and the fact that it wasn't made clearer from the beginning that direct deposit was required. It didn't list that on the auto loan page, you had to go to a couple of different steps and only then find the fine print that explained the definition of a qualified benefits checking account or something. I wrote the kind of email that I would not like to get, in my business. I used the phrase "inadequate disclosures" a couple of times, which I had read beforehand is one of the hot button phrases that came about from the 2008 financial crises.

About 2 hours later I got an email that they waived the requirement and agreed to the 1.24% without the requirement for direct deposit. So I lucked out on that. I would suggest a similarly worded email and see what comes back. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply ... you've essentially summarized what I expected to do, come Monday (I am working this weekend). however, in a moment of anger I fired off an email to my 2 bankers, and one responded immediately with 1.99 for 48 months, 2.11 for 60 "as much principle as you want - and we won't pull a credit report." So, while 1.99 is not 1.24, I may just take it and move on with my life.

PS how did you find the email of a specific loan officer? I asked for but was never given that info - rather, they sent me a email with a link to "upload needed documents here" web site.

PPS lastly, I do have (arguably) 4 sources of income. One of them just happened to have mailed me a direct deposit form, today. They only pay me quarterly, and only about 10K/year. I wonder if that will work ...

Last edited:
I have been approved for 1.49% for 65 months from Digital Federal Credit Union. They require direct deposit for that rate. The next best I found was 1.83 via Energy Credit Union (60 month term), then 1.99 locally (any term up to 72 months).

Now that I got the paperwork from my DS, Digital Federal Credit Union was a breeze to work with. I really like their online system (I'm a Systems Engineer). Someone has put real thought in making that system work very well. They finalized my paperwork and sent me the check. I saw that others got 1.24% from USAlliance (up to 72 months), but I am happy with my 1.49% for 65 months. Now I just need to wait for pickup. The days aren't ticking by fast enough!

Now that I got the paperwork from my DS, Digital Federal Credit Union was a breeze to work with. I really like their online system (I'm a Systems Engineer). Someone has put real thought in making that system work very well. They finalized my paperwork and sent me the check. I saw that others got 1.24% from USAlliance (up to 72 months), but I am happy with my 1.49% for 65 months. Now I just need to wait for pickup. The days aren't ticking by fast enough!

Same here. 1.49 at 65 months. But they are taking forever for delivery! They haven't even finished detailing and its been 2 weeks!

Same here. 1.49 at 65 months. But they are taking forever for delivery! They haven't even finished detailing and its been 2 weeks!

Those final days are killer. I get mine from Tesla a week from today. Somehow I'll survive until then. DFCU is very easy to work with. When I had questions or needed stuff, they answered quickly, then processed everything as I was on the call. It wasn't a case of "I'll submit this and we'll contact you in XYZ days." Everything was "while you wait". Very impressive.

Just finalized my loan with DCU. Was approved for 65 months at 1.24% a month ago. When I talked to them today they said the rate had increased to 1.74%. (I had seen that on their website but thought I'd be "locked in" at the original number. It's only $15/mo. but it's irking me....

Also, do they no longer have the fuel-efficient vehicle discount?

Just finalized my loan with DCU. Was approved for 65 months at 1.24% a month ago. When I talked to them today they said the rate had increased to 1.74%. (I had seen that on their website but thought I'd be "locked in" at the original number. It's only $15/mo. but it's irking me....

Also, do they no longer have the fuel-efficient vehicle discount?

They still have it (their site still advertises "Discount for energy efficient vehicles"), so your 1.74% should be 1.49%.