Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.1 Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. We are early adopters and while I'm going to plunk down as much as you, I consider myself a proud beta tester. It will take several thousand of these marvellous cars to be on the road to get all the kinks out. ...
I'd been about to say that in the biz, beta testers know they are, are warned they are, and are advised not to rely on beta products for mission-critical tasks. And that normally, they number in the hundreds, not thousands. I believe TM went through some time (year, 2 years?) of beta testing on hand-built, $1 million-dollar betamobiles, but only in the dozens, max.

But then I thought, "But this is a factory product, with different issues." Thousands of testers may be needed. Are customers warned there will be issues, but that they will be resolved on TM's dime, as fast as humanly possible? I don't know. It would be unwise to try and survive decades of acronyms like "Found On Road, Dead", or "Fix It Again, Tony".

It was the middle of the night. Mods sleep also you know. :wink:
Clearly we need to recruit some mods in Hong Kong or Australia. :)

None of the 4.1 bugs have consequences for driving the car. It was rolled out to address important issues with vampire load and 12v degradation, which really could cause problems. Still, it will be good to see the next update to resolve these pesky bugs.

I seen the turn signals work with no noise this morning and would add that some times my right blinker does a double flash between pauses where the screen looks like I am turning it on and off manually(the green shape goes away between the double flash).

I was in the "no problems with 4.1" camp until yesterday. Then all sort of strange things happened such as: turn signals with no sound, temperature stopped displaying, 3G signal bars were at 0 but maps and Slacker kept working. Displays were stuck in night mode. Thats all I remember....

So I rebooted after I parked at the store and everything came back.

Sure seems to me like there is a significant memory leak or stack over flow that I'm sure Tesla is tracking down and will fix in the next version. Annoying because (by the "rule of demos") this happens at the worst possible time such as when showing off the features to my wife and her friend who asked me why I had to reboot my car :rolleyes:

v1.19.31

After having a nice lunch with Blurry_Eyed (who has an envy-worthy Xpel Ultimate wrap), I decided to go for a drive.

140.1 miles
58.0 kWh
414 Wh/mi.

At one point (about 80 miles in, with the temp at 26F) I got a "Tire Pressure Monitoring System needs service" message (or something like that). It went away after a few minutes.

No other issues beyond that.

Additional notes:
At 40mi Rated is when the dashed limiter for acceleration shows up (between 320 and 160). When you floor it (heh), there's a new whine I hadn't heard before. Not sure if that's by-design (car telling you it's unhappy with you pushing it hard with low battery), or an irregularity / bug to be fixed. Either way, I don't plan to test that case often.
JustAfterTheWhine.jpg

Upon arriving home and putting it in park, this message immediately popped up. I think it's been mentioned before, but it's the first time I've seen it. Just mentioning it in case others were curious what it looks like and because it could be related to the whine.
BatteryLowWarning.jpg

Last edited:
Although it could be a memory leak, I've noticed the time I've had to reboot my screen are usually right after I turn on the car. The screen gets somewhat stuck in the startup sequence and I notice that it happens more often in areas of low or bad 3G signal. I'm actually thinking that this problem is related to a synchronous network call that is trying to use a bad 3G signal that is blocking the main thread. If the call completes correctly, then everything is OK. If not all the other processes that need the main thread (temperature sensor, turn signals, etc.) are blocked. Does anyone else see a correlation between having to reboot the screen and low/absent 3G signal?

Yes, and I concur with your assessment. I *will* call myself an expert, as I am often paid as such :)

I'm one of the lucky ones....still experiencing none of these problems whatsoever. I'm very happy about that but can't help scratching my head every time I read this thread.

BTW, consistently low 3G signal at my house.

v1.19.29 (For now I don't think I want the .31 update)

[help] no "clicking" sound for turn signal/ display stays on overnight

Hello
I noticed that sometimes the displays are automatically turned on even when the car is locked and stay on. When this happens, you also lose the "clicking" sound for the turn signals AND the temperature display on the upper corner of the touch screen, like _ _ _ ºC This already happened four times on my car.
Rebooting the whole system will solve the problem. But what is the cause?
------------------------
I dropped the transducer from a 6 inches height while it's on but not plugged into the car and it gave me a Ground-Fault(1 flashing red) message. Problem solved by re-connect to the outlet. anyone know what's cause this to happen?
Thanks!
So many software problems on my car :( Having 12V battery replacement message and was told to wait for the next update; Roof was not opening from day one, called the service center and I was told to wait for the next update. -_- Guess you can blame the software for everything............
---Tom

No idea what the problem may be but we have had some of the same issues. We were told the power charger lights would go off but they're always on. The display is on most of the time. I know I have peeked out the garage door two or three hours after we've plugged it in and the dash display is still on. The other day the sound for the turn signals quit. It's since come back but I have no idea why it went away or what we may have done to get it back. One day we lost all connectivity. A reboot got that back and perhaps the turn signal sound as well.

I too have had the wiper issue randomly -- usually after a rain but the wipers are definitely off.
Also, I am having the pano roof issue, which I only found out about on Friday when it was actually warm and sunny out.
As for the other issues I reported earlier -- all came back today and had to reboot again. A quick trip out to the car tonight shows that the temp is reporting as --- again, only 8 hours later, and <5 miles driven.

....... The screen gets somewhat stuck in the startup sequence and I notice that it happens more often in areas of low or bad 3G signal. I'm actually thinking that this problem is related to a synchronous network call that is trying to use a bad 3G signal that is blocking the main thread. If the call completes correctly, then everything is OK. If not all the other processes that need the main thread (temperature sensor, turn signals, etc.) are blocked. Does anyone else see a correlation between having to reboot the screen and low/absent 3G signal?

AT&T is famous with me for under-provisioning the data side of their 3G network. I switched from AT&T to Verizon when I purchased my most recent iPhone because AT&T would let me talk, but not surf whenever I was in a big city -- LAX, SFO, ORD, MIA, LGA, etc. I HATE AT&T 3G service in large metro areas. They seem to have completely ignored their 3G "sucktivity" and aggressively built out the 4G side of their network. Anyone with an AT&T 4G phone now has pretty good data service in big cities and therefore aren't affected by the persistent 3G data black-hole problem.

Cincinnati is a small enough MSA that just getting geographic coverage among all the hills and valleys requires enough cell sites that the AT&T 3G data network is seldom under-provisioned and everything works just fine. But, woe be the big-city traveler that expects their 3G phone to work on AT&T for data the same way everywhere they go.

If this is a lack-of-data-service problem, Tesla will have to just accept that AT&T has to be worked around as a permanent problem. AT&T won't do anything to improve the 3G data problem since building out their 4G data network appears to be their one and final answer.

Although it could be a memory leak, I've noticed the time I've had to reboot my screen are usually right after I turn on the car. The screen gets somewhat stuck in the startup sequence and I notice that it happens more often in areas of low or bad 3G signal. I'm actually thinking that this problem is related to a synchronous network call that is trying to use a bad 3G signal that is blocking the main thread. If the call completes correctly, then everything is OK. If not all the other processes that need the main thread (temperature sensor, turn signals, etc.) are blocked. Does anyone else see a correlation between having to reboot the screen and low/absent 3G signal?

Kishdude! It's probably just our brown cars that get it. Seriously, I had this problem (ext temp on one screen but not another, no turn signal noise, no mileage recording, alarm not turned on, backup camera not kicking in on R, etc.) this morning after 2 clean weeks on 4.1. I immediately jumped to same conclusion - boot sequence hosed up when 3G connectivity weak. I have terrible 3G in my garage... such that it took 3 nights to have enough signal to download 4.1 to begin with. The good news is this all clears up with reboot of both screens (in an area with strong 3G as a precaution!) and does not seem to render the car undriveable.

tomas, apparently updates are downloaded opportunistically, when you are out and about, stored, and only then are you prompted to install. Connectivity during install is secondary or irrelevant, therefore.