Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.1 Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's firmware issues are trivial in comparison to Fisker's. Tesla's stuff works well, with an occasional glitch. Fisker's UI was universally derided.

The discussion was not about the design of the user interface, it was about the lack of adequate testing of new software releases and the resulting regressions. As of this moment the software in my Fisker Karma is more reliable than the software in my Tesla Model S. I expect Tesla to get there, but only if they institute better procedures to ensure quality before pushing out a new release.

Incidently, Fisker has promised a totally revamped UI to be delivered to Karma owners by the end of March. I'm letting them know they need to do extremely thorough testing and a beta program to ensure they don't regress the now very reliable software.

Another reason a tech told me for the slow roll outs was ATT was being overloaded with data. I'm not sure this rings true since the data could be rolled out in the wee hours. I hope we soon have the ability to have the car connect to our home wifi. My cell coverage is poor in my garage and it interrupts slacker when working on the car.
Either (a) Tesla is using a bandwidth limited plan and AT&T is saying that Tesla is hitting an artificial limit or (b) AT&T's general network needs an upgrade to support modern capacity requirements at least to 2005 levels.

Or the original assertion was just a loose lipped excuse.

Either (a) Tesla is using a bandwidth limited plan and AT&T is saying that Tesla is hitting an artificial limit or (b) AT&T's general network needs an upgrade to support modern capacity requirements at least to 2005 levels.

Or the original assertion was just a loose lipped excuse.

Or perhaps they're just being cautious so as not to push a potential bug onto the entire fleet at once. I'm still on 1.15.14, but I'm kind of glad I missed out on 4.0 and 4.1 after reading about the misadventures.

On another note: I'd like to see upgrades also available via the USB port--my garage is probably too far away from my Wi-Fi, and the 3G is defninitely very weak at my locale.

Just a few odities I've noticed with V4.1 - most trivial and probably mentioned here already... (I only had 4.0 for a day and a half so some of these might have already existed)
1. TPMS has mind of it's own. Sometimes tire pressures good, other times I get warning. It has been calibrated at service center. 35-36PSI on tires actual.
2. From time to time will get "charge door open" message with visual indication on left of instrument cluster - it fluctuates, ususally goes away.
3. Have had car shift to park a couple times while backing out of garage slowly - maybe it thinks the charging cable is connected and this is related to #2 above?
4. Have noticed the outside air temp dissappear from main display (dashes), but is on instrument cluster as others have noticed.
5. Wipers often swipe once when unlocking and opening driver door.
6. One time when I arrived at home and plugged in, it already showed 10 miles had been added on since charging started - that was a weird one.

These are not "complaints" - just observations. I think the car is amazing and revolutionary :smile:

Just a few odities I've noticed with V4.1 - most trivial and probably mentioned here already... (I only had 4.0 for a day and a half so some of these might have already existed)
1. TPMS has mind of it's own. Sometimes tire pressures good, other times I get warning. It has been calibrated at service center. 35-36PSI on tires actual.

What size tires do you have? 21" tire spec is 42 PSI cold and 19" tire spec is 45 PSI cold. There is a service bulletin that requires TPMS's "low" threshold to be set to 36 PSI. My guess is that in the cold or in colder starts, you get the warning but once they warm up it goes away.

2. From time to time will get "charge door open" message with visual indication on left of instrument cluster - it fluctuates, ususally goes away.

Haven't seen that, maybe you have a bad sensor on the door.

3. Have had car shift to park a couple times while backing out of garage slowly - maybe it thinks the charging cable is connected and this is related to #2 above?

You haven't been lifting your butt out of the seat, have you? At very slow speeds, lifting your butt out of the seat causes the car to go into park -- there's a whole thread on this. :)

4. Have noticed the outside air temp dissappear from main display (dashes), but is on instrument cluster as others have noticed.

I only see this immediately following the car coming out of sleep mode -- when the sensors haven't picked up temperature yet.

This has been true in all releases. Built-in shower. This car has everything!

6. One time when I arrived at home and plugged in, it already showed 10 miles had been added on since charging started - that was a weird one.

Don't know what to tell you on this one. Did you come out of a colder area into a warmer, such that the battery pack warmed up and came up in voltage?

Sounds like the sensor that's used to determine if the door is open just needs an alignment. Someone else here had service realign the sensor and that fixed the problem for them.

It's either as FlasherZ says or as you say--due to issue #2.

At least for now, turn your wipers off when it's not raining.

FlasherZ & Todd Burch thanks for the detailed responses guys.
The charge door probably needs a tweak - will have the service team take a look next time I'm over there. It pops open fine and snaps shut. Nothing appears out of alignment.
I think #2 is correct regarding the seat thing. I did have my door open - have been having issues with garage door (the floor sensors are screwed up and I currently have to get out and put it down manually so I back out with the door cracked) probably did raise my butt up. LOL
The wipers are normally left on "auto sense".
Sounds like the tires are underinflated. Will add some air and observe.
When the temp was missing from the display - it was only on the upper left of main screen, not the inst. cluster. Somebody else saw this too.
FlasherZ - regarding service bulletins... How do they come? email? Is there a way to review prevous bulletins?

Thanks.

Steve/gmontem, I am seeing the same issues as you and discovered today that when those things crop up that the daytime running lights do not come on. Also, I can no longer open the frunk, trunk or charge port door from the touch screeen (I think someone else saw this too). Hoping that 4.2 takes care of this collection of issues.

Also, I can no longer open the frunk, trunk or charge port door from the touch screeen (I think someone else saw this too). Hoping that 4.2 takes care of this collection of issues.
Were you in Park? These buttons are grayed out when the vehicle is "in gear." If you were in Park, try rebooting the center screen by pushing down both scroll wheels on the steering wheel for about 15 secs.

Heard something most concerning today. A friend left his S in his garage in Northern California plugged in over the Xmas week. Came home to a dead car, presumably a dead 12v. Tesla came for the car and told him today that they "think" the most recent update didn't fully install. How would one know that an update wasn't fully installed, other than a dead battery? Hopefully he'll get some clarification.

Heard something most concerning today. A friend left his S in his garage in Northern California plugged in over the Xmas week. Came home to a dead car, presumably a dead 12v. Tesla came for the car and told him today that they "think" the most recent update didn't fully install. How would one know that an update wasn't fully installed, other than a dead battery? Hopefully he'll get some clarification.

I had heard a similar statement ... the explanation was that the particular component firmware did not update.

Issue with 4.1 (.31 edition):

1. Set your Display setting to Night (instead of Auto)
2. Lock the car
3. Unlock the car
RESULT: Setting reverts to Auto
EXPECTED: Setting stays on Night

This happens with and without the "Keep Displays Powered" setting on.