Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting to get the camera shifting out of its frame thing now. Nothing major, but odd it just started up. It only happens when reversing out of my garage (and the camera app isn't active). I think it might be the homelink buttons pushing it out of the way and not moving the frame with it.

Btw, my homelink range seems to have decreased. That, or they changed how long it'll send the signal. I kinda wish the pop up appeared while farther away, and in the center of the screen like a forum member mocked up a while back.

I'm starting to get the camera shifting out of its frame thing now. Nothing major, but odd it just started up. It only happens when reversing out of my garage (and the camera app isn't active). I think it might be the homelink buttons pushing it out of the way and not moving the frame with it.

Btw, my homelink range seems to have decreased. That, or they changed how long it'll send the signal. I kinda wish the pop up appeared while farther away, and in the center of the screen like a forum member mocked up a while back.

Just reprogram the home link from the spot you want it to come available.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

My experience exactly. The Homelink button dropping down when I'm in my garage, then putting into reverse seems to confuse the backup camera image. Sometimes resolves itself. But a couple of times had to reboot.

I saw this after turning off bluetooth on my phone and then (hours later) turning it back on. Rebooting the 17" display fixed it.

I'm on the .42 firmware.
Same here, also saw the symptom of navigating around the browser quite a bit when things started to go south. Also saw the NigelM "night mode during the day". Rebooting 17" fixed everything (holding down both scroll wheels on steering wheel for about 10 seconds until the screen went black; And just for context, did this while driving, and the screen was fully operational again in about 1 minute)

Same here, also saw the symptom of navigating around the browser quite a bit when things started to go south. Also saw the NigelM "night mode during the day". Rebooting 17" fixed everything (holding down both scroll wheels on steering wheel for about 10 seconds until the screen went black; And just for context, did this while driving, and the screen was fully operational again in about 1 minute)

If you have the inverted day/night mode thing on maps you do NOT need to reboot just for that. All you need to do is force a refresh of the map my zooming in or out, for example.

My experience exactly. The Homelink button dropping down when I'm in my garage, then putting into reverse seems to confuse the backup camera image. Sometimes resolves itself. But a couple of times had to reboot.
My garage door opener is too old for Homelink, but I did have the reverse camera screen without the border thing. Finally got it to clear after maximizing the nav a couple of times.

My garage door opener is too old for Homelink, but I did have the reverse camera screen without the border thing. Finally got it to clear after maximizing the nav a couple of times.
Why does anyone care about borderless camera? Fact is, camera comes on when reversing and goes off when out of reverse. Sometimes border, sometimes not. Who cares?

Why does anyone care about borderless camera? Fact is, camera comes on when reversing and goes off when out of reverse. Sometimes border, sometimes not. Who cares?

It's not just borderless, it is in the wrong half of the screen and overlays whatever else was there before, plus it leaves a blank grey section where it should be. I agree it is temporary and not a huge deal but it is a software glitch and like all bugs, will eventually get fixed. We are just reporting what we observe.

It's not just borderless, it is in the wrong half of the screen and overlays whatever else was there before, plus it leaves a blank grey section where it should be. I agree it is temporary and not a huge deal but it is a software glitch and like all bugs, will eventually get fixed. We are just reporting what we observe.

Just to add to the chorus--I've once seen this exact same bug.

Ahh... you are seeing something I have not seen then. I occasionally get camera "floating" rather than in top or bottom frame, but when I shift out of reverse, it goes away and the prior screen display is unaffected. That's why I was surprised there was such a fuss. If the area of the floating camera view is remaining gray after shifting out of reverse, that would be annoying. If it goes away, then I still don't understand why it's an issue.

Touchscreen Crashed Twice

This week I've had the touchscreen crash on me twice. Both times while trying to change channels with Slacker Radio if I recall properly. The climate stops for a moment, the screen goes black with the good ol' X-Windows "x" and then it reboots. Anyone else seeing this odd behavior? (tried searching, but lack of thread-specific search on TMC makes it tough to wade through)

Not using Slacker much, have not had crashing. Maybe put some time in on that.

For the camera, The previous versions had the camera fixed and if you clicked on the profile list it would be under the camera page. Might have been the same for the home link list too. That was a bit annoying until you came out of reverse. I think they saw that and fixed it by pushing down the screen down based on the length of the profile dropdowns. Strange looking as you said, but then you can access everything at least.

My sunroof worked fine for months but recently won't open at all. I think it coincides with 4.2. Anybody else see this problem?? Thanks.

Ahh... you are seeing something I have not seen then. I occasionally get camera "floating" rather than in top or bottom frame, but when I shift out of reverse, it goes away and the prior screen display is unaffected. That's why I was surprised there was such a fuss. If the area of the floating camera view is remaining gray after shifting out of reverse, that would be annoying. If it goes away, then I still don't understand why it's an issue.
It doesn't go away and it covers the swap upper and lower screen button so the entire touchscreen is unusable. Personally I would label this as a big issue, but to each, his own...

I was updated to 4.2 two days ago, and it rained the next morning. I noticed that the two auto wiper modes are now almost useful! They are more sensitive than before.

Unfortunately I also verified that the "now that I'm powered up and the wipers are in any mode but 'off'" initial wipe to clear the windshield STILL DUMPS WATER on the driver and the open door while getting into the car.

Come on Tesla, please suppress wiper operation when any doors are open! Yikes that was cold.

I talked with ownership today about the wipers and the person I spoke with said he'd experienced exactly the same thing. I asked if he would put that on the "priority fix" list and he said "yes I know who is working on that software, will email him/her right now".

Someday this too will be better!

Last edited:
After using Firmware 4.2 for a while, I just sent the following list of notes to Franz and JB. Some of these are software/firmware issues, some hardware, and some miscellaneous suggestions, but here is the list for completeness:
--

Hi JB, Franz,

A few notes on the Model S, following the Firmware 4.2 upgrade:

• It's nice that the right scroll-wheel can now control the sunroof, but its implementation feels reversed. "Rolling up a window" closes it, but scrolling upward makes the sunroof roll down ('open'). It seems much more intuitive to me that scrolling down should move the sunroof backward [open], and scrolling up/forward should move it forward to close.

• Since the 4.2 update, the touchscreen interface shows my car (Sig Special #61) with 19" wheels, instead of the 21" turbine wheels it correctly showed before. Totally minor, but worth mentioning in case there's a bug somewhere that's causing this for lots of customers.

• It would be nice if the Climate Range option were toggle-able directly on the small Climate Settings popup panel, rather than having to hunt through the Controls screens to find it.

• While Climate Range Mode is enabled and power reduced, perhaps the heater could still use full power while the car is decelerating / regenerating? My commute involves a mile-long steep hill descent, regenerating the whole way, and it occurred to me that it might be more efficient to heat the cabin at full power while descending, then turn off the heater for a couple miles, than to regenerate into the battery and keep the heater at half-power the whole time.

• It would be great if the seat heaters were controllable from the iPhone app. (Or do they do nothing unless you're sitting in the seat?)

• Since the upgrade, perhaps coincidentally, my mobile charging cable has been unable to pop open the charging port door. Or when it does, it takes 20 tries from all angles before it works. Another argument to have a way to open the charge port from the key fob. I'd find this a far more useful action when pressing-holding the top of the keyfob than lowering all windows, for instance. Or a triple- or quadruple-click, as I've mentioned before.

• Suggestion: when plugged into a supercharger, the charging should ALWAYS and AUTOMATICALLY be in Range Mode!! No one is going to sit at a supercharger for extended periods of time after charging, so it won't hurt the battery, but it would certainly prevent situations like both the NYT reviewer and Consumer Reports reviewer assuming that 240 miles is a "full charge". (Or in general, ordinary drivers forgetting to set it to Range Mode themselves, coming back to the car, and having to wait an additional 15 minutes while they top up.)

• Regarding the NYT review: does the Tesla telemetry show whether the climate control was in Range mode, and/or whether the seat heater was being used, and/or if the A/C was on Recirculate? I never saw this data mentioned anywhere, but it seems relevant. I've also found that the "Auto" A/C setting doesn't seem to go on Recirculate nearly as often as it should, and thus wastes a lot of unnecessary power relative to how I use it manually.

• I presume you're working on improving the user experience for an overnight cold-soak; displaying artificially low range numbers in cold temperatures doesn't make sense if there are many more driveable miles of charge in the battery that magically "comes back" as the battery warms up from driving. The "projected range" calculation should probably also ignore energy used while the car is off, as well. Perhaps if the user puts the car in Park while the outside temperature is very low, a popup reminder to plug in the car would be a good idea?

• In addition to "Ideal" and "Rated" as mileage display options, perhaps there should be a third "Sport" option that would display 80% or 85% of Rated? (Symmetric with the steering Comfort/Standard/Sport options?) 85% would almost exactly match my real-world average of 372 Wh/mile, after nearly 5k miles of driving. Because I've wanted to keep track, I've never reset Trip B since taking delivery! Perhaps below Trip B it should show 'Lifetime' as well?

• Fit & Finish: More than once, while lifting items out of the trunk with the hatch partway open (because my garage doesn't have the headroom to open it completely), I've scraped my knuckles on the very rough plastic surrounding the latch, at the bottom of the hatch. I plan to tape over these sharp gaps with electrical tape, but perhaps there's a nicer solution on your end for the future?

Thanks for listening,

-Ben