Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately, nearly all firmware releases were halted mid-rollout because new bugs popped up. Eventually TM will sort it out, but IMHO they need to spend more time with testing, or slow down the "new features" pace.

How about it - I'm still running 1.15 - the only logical explanation is that TM has halted roll-out due to bug fixes. However, I would rather them get it right before my update.

Thanks for this post. Hopefully this will fix the issues such as the screen not waking up and door handles not opening. It will probably also mean that the batteries will drain more overnight if sleep mode no longer is used, but they seem to be looking for a solution to that one.

You're correct. We are back to the 8 miles a day of drain or so but if you're plugged in, not a big deal. I haven't noticed any random error messages yet so maybe this is the release they'll roll out a little wider.

Yes my rates go fom 16-plus cents to 5.5 cents/hour at 10 pm. hard to schlep to the garage at 10pm each nite, so I have instead been charging at say 15A on my 40A circuit so I'll use less power before 10pm. Tesla: timer for charging please!
Otherwise 4.2 stable and good. I'd had some pretty notable bugs on 4.1. Anyone else lose blinkers/directionals on 4.1? All good now. Elwood is currently taking my son and I on a road trip in northern New England, and is performing beautifully.

Yes my rates go fom 16-plus cents to 5.5 cents/hour at 10 pm. hard to schlep to the garage at 10pm each nite, so I have instead been charging at say 15A on my 40A circuit so I'll use less power before 10pm. Tesla: timer for charging please!
Otherwise 4.2 stable and good. I'd had some pretty notable bugs on 4.1. Anyone else lose blinkers/directionals on 4.1? All good now. Elwood is currently taking my son and I on a road trip in northern New England, and is performing beautifully.

blinkers/directionals, in boston? you must be from somewhere else. still waiting for my NIMA plug to be installed. I wish I could get .160 or .055 rates(/hour). will probably be about .286 (/hour) here in hawaii. hopefully I won't lose too much charge overnight with the 4.2 upgrade. I plan on charging at a free charger accross the street while I am waiting for my NIMA plug to be installed and whenever possible (at free charger) after that.

I was delighted to discover upon returning from a 5 day (plane) trip that 4.2 was downloaded to our car and awaiting permission to update. I went ahead and executed it right away, and babysat the whole process, since it was my first upgrade in my own hands (car was delivered 4.0 and upgraded to 4.1 (.29) by Seattle service when I had my BIG problem. I was glad to see that the sometimes spotty 3G signal in my garage was sufficient to pick up the download.

The update took only 15-20 minutes and completed successfully. The car immediately did a top-up charge afterward (373 rated km to 384).

Fixes are as people have noted, plus I THINK (but need to fully verify) that the km mode rated-range-dotted-line in the energy app is FIXED! Doug_G and others up here in Canada will appreciate that!

Also, wipers SEEM to do a calibration swipe now in the auto modes, but again, I need to verify if the sensitivity is better tuned with actual rain. In BC, I will not have to wait long to test that! :wink:

Have other Canadians gotten the update yet?

Fixes are as people have noted, plus I THINK (but need to fully verify) that the km mode rated-range-dotted-line in the energy app is FIXED! Doug_G and others up here in Canada will appreciate that!

Have other Canadians gotten the update yet?

Not me. Would appreciate the graph fix - it would be a handy reference for "quick look" at how you are doing range-wise. I tried to use it that way during my first road trip (home from delivery) but fortunately realized it was wrong before I burned too much power!

I'm ready for 4.2, 4.1 really acting up the past couple days requiring 3 reboots. Once the music wouldn't run, the touch screen worked, but non-of the background functionality. This evening the backup camera wouldn't come on automatically in reverse. And this is all despite changing the setting to "always on" for the screens.

I'm ready for 4.2, 4.1 really acting up the past couple days requiring 3 reboots. Once the music wouldn't run, the touch screen worked, but non-of the background functionality. This evening the backup camera wouldn't come on automatically in reverse. And this is all despite changing the setting to "always on" for the screens.

I saw all these problems and more with 4.1 (.29). I will be watching for them closely with 4.2. I suspect it was a "memory corruption" problem with the main screen computer. This kind of bug creates a string of seemingly unrelated symptoms which accumulate over time until a reboot starts things fresh again. Hopefully Tesla found and corrected the root cause, and all this strange degenerative behaviour will vanish!

We have a 600 km road trip coming up this weekend (our first with both our Teslas together!), so we should have a lot of opportunity to check out the fixes in 4.2. I will report whatever I can confirm.

my car asked to update and I said ok, said it would take 2 hours.... after 30 minutes I went to check on it and the car is just off, is there supposed to be a progress display during the update?

- - - Updated - - -

nevermind ,all done!

my car asked to update and I said ok, said it would take 2 hours.... after 30 minutes I went to check on it and the car is just off, is there supposed to be a progress display during the update?