Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm ready for 4.2, 4.1 really acting up the past couple days requiring 3 reboots. Once the music wouldn't run, the touch screen worked, but non-of the background functionality. This evening the backup camera wouldn't come on automatically in reverse. And this is all despite changing the setting to "always on" for the screens.

That's strange... as soon as I flipped the displays to "always on" all my issues needing rebooting went away.
It think that's still a great workaround for those waiting on 4.2.

Just updated to 4.2 and as reported it only took about 30 minutes. I decided to ride this one out in the car. Talk about spooky! All kinds of strange clicking, headlights turning on and off, monitors turning on and off, then go black. Finally all is quiet. Then suddenly music comes on at full volume. Took 10 years off my life!:scared: Played for a while, with no volume control available so you might want to turn your volume down before doing the update. Aside from the absence of the "Sleep" setting, looks the same.

Sorry. I bet it is one of those x.x.# minor tweaks. I think they are trying to find a more stable release before a wider rollout.

A couple of days ago, I wrote off to customer care to ask:

It's been three months now since our last software update; we're still running 3.5 on VIN 29. I asked our local service rep back in december what the deal was with upgrades, but didn't get any reply. Now that 4.2 seems stable, I think it would be good to push the upgrade sometime this week, unless you have a reason not to (and are prepared to tell us). Anything you tell us will be held in confidence, if there actually is a reason. At the moment we just feel left out and ignored.

Of course, still no response. My guess is that they figure 3.5 is the safest thing, and any cars still with it should stay that way. But if so, why not just say so? We continue to feel left out and ignored...

My update just loaded ... Happy Happy

20130123_192710.jpg

I just found a new bug that hadn't happened to me before 4.2. It seems that sometimes the Google Maps screen will stay in the wrong mode (day or night) when the car changes. For example, when I get in the car when it is in the garage it is in night mode because the garage is dark. When I back out into the daylight the car switches to day mode but the Google Maps will stay in night mode. I've found that if I switch to something else and them back to the map it will re-draw in the correct mode. Maybe 4.2 is now trying to cache the maps and it is caching the mode which it is in. Just a guess. Anyone else notice this problem in 4.2?

Just updated to 4.2 and as reported it only took about 30 minutes. I decided to ride this one out in the car. Talk about spooky! All kinds of strange clicking, headlights turning on and off, monitors turning on and off, then go black. Finally all is quiet. Then suddenly music comes on at full volume. Took 10 years off my life!:scared: Played for a while, with no volume control available so you might want to turn your volume down before doing the update. Aside from the absence of the "Sleep" setting, looks the same.
Now that's too funny, LOL
I saw the beginning of the update from the outside, lights flashing ON then OFF & noises. Thought the car was alive.. had just seen a rerun of Steven Kings' movie Christine.
Very weird but I hurried on to work and left my wife at home to deal with it.:cool:

I just found a new bug that hadn't happened to me before 4.2. It seems that sometimes the Google Maps screen will stay in the wrong mode (day or night) when the car changes. For example, when I get in the car when it is in the garage it is in night mode because the garage is dark. When I back out into the daylight the car switches to day mode but the Google Maps will stay in night mode. I've found that if I switch to something else and them back to the map it will re-draw in the correct mode. Maybe 4.2 is now trying to cache the maps and it is caching the mode which it is in. Just a guess. Anyone else notice this problem in 4.2?

Yes, it consistently behaves this way with 1.19.41.

Just installed 1.19.42 moments ago. Download finished and the alarm clock notification of the update appeared while driving home on the interstate today (awesome!)

The update definitely fixed my pano roof issue. I'll report back on whether the other issues I saw are fixed.

The driver's side rear door handle refused to retract today (while on 1.19.31--before the update). Locked, all handles except that one retracted. Unlocked, and the rest came out. Rebooted, then tried again and it still didn't retract. I gently pushed it in. Didn't respond to touches. Tried opening the door, didn't help. Inexplicably, 20 minutes later it worked fine again.

Today was the coldest day in 2 years here...low 30Fs for a high. Curious if it's related, although when it started working again it was even colder than when it stopped working. Thinking it may be a software issue. I'll be sure to report back to see if those issues crop up again on 1.19.42.