Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surprised to see that some of the chargers I have visited were not listed... then I remembered that my touch screen was replaced at one point... so I lost that data. Handy feature, though.

For some reason (GPS accuracy, I guess) my house shows up 2 or 3 times at slightly different addresses. Funny to see the factory and another nearby location in California shown. I wish there was a way to delete the ones you don't want (like my duplicates) similar to how you can delete recent destinations.

For some reason (GPS accuracy, I guess) my house shows up 2 or 3 times at slightly different addresses. Funny to see the factory and another nearby location in California shown. I wish there was a way to delete the ones you don't want (like my duplicates) similar to how you can delete recent destinations.

Yes, my house and my office are both listed three times. And of course the address is wrong (somehow my house number is 99 when our street stops in the mid teens!)

So I have no point of comparison, as my 1-week old car shipped with 4.5 (the .43 flavor), but tonight I USB connected my phone (Motorola RAZR MAXX/Android 4.2) and it rendered the 17" console display almost unusable. HVAC and volume controls wouldn't respond... media transport frozen. Music skipping, etc...

I initially rebooted the console, and had the same problem. Then I realized I had my phone USB connected, and remembered that a few moments earlier when I first got in the car, I was trying to look for a picture, only to have the phone complain about "unavailable storage" (or similar). So I figured maybe there was some volume-mounting weirdness at play, so I disconnected the phone and rebooted again.

After that all was well.

So, I'll investigate to see if my phone is has any funky options like USB debug turned on... but otherwise this would seem to be troublesome.

I just got 4.5 installed at the new Bellevue, WA service center (was in there for headlight alignment and sunroof update). I noticed that the previous charging location data shown must have been stored in the nav pretty much from the car's birth. I can see where it was first plugged in at the factory at Fremont, so cool...

I installed 4.5 yesterday. Noticed the fan behind the display is now humming away as others mentioned. Mine's not too loud, only really bothers me during pauses in the music. Still wouldn't mind having the silence back.

Otherwise, I noticed that my homelink location radius has increased by about 5m. I'm pretty happy about this because previously I had to get pretty close to the garage door before it would pop-up on the display. Saves me from having to go to the effort of reconfiguring it.

Saw the update notification this morning, but when I tried to install tonight I keep getting an error that it is "unable to start update".
Maybe it's just as well.. I don't want to hear that fan going on like GG did.

20130531_215654.jpg

Phhhpt. I just got 4.5 yesterday and noticed the same thing this morning. Unfortunately, that used to be how I'd unlock the car in the garage so I could remove the UMC cable when approaching the car from the rear. I'll have to look for a new ritual, presuming it still won't unlock automatically when pressing the cable release.

Hmm. It does seem like pressing the cable release should unlock both the car and cable if you have the key fob in your pocket. But I wonder if the car can actually detect the key fob when you're standing next to the charge port? We approach our car from the left-rear as we enter the garage, and we have to walk up to the driver's door to get the handles to extend (stepping over the UMC cable), and then walk back a couple of steps to unlock/unplug.

My car shows only 4 charging locations, 3 of them are my house. Like others, the address of my house is incorrect. Then again the navigation system leads you to an address about a mile away from my home so I would not have expected the correct address for my home anyways.

The 4th location is a place about 10 miles from my house where there isn't even an EVSE of any kind. I've never charged anywhere but at home and the car came directly off the truck to me with 0 miles of range indicated so I am quite sure that this location is in error. I do have to say that I drove by that location shortly after getting my update, but before I checked the past charging locations.

The ability to edit these charging locations would be very useful.

I verified this morning that although v4.5 fixes the issue with the touchscreen fan getting pegged, it clearly runs faster than before. For instance, I just checked my garage in the morning (when I usually can't hear the fan at all) and it is now definitely audible. It doesn't sound distractingly loud--so I wouldn't delay the 4.5 update because of it--but it is definitely louder than before.

I sent an email to ownership at tesla motors dot com to report the issue.

I verified this morning that although v4.5 fixes the issue with the touchscreen fan getting pegged, it clearly runs faster than before. For instance, I just checked my garage in the morning (when I usually can't hear the fan at all) and it is now definitely audible. It doesn't sound distractingly loud--so I wouldn't delay the 4.5 update because of it--but it is definitely louder than before.

I sent an email to ownership at tesla motors dot com to report the issue.

I installed 4.5 last night. When I got in the car this morning to read the release notes, I heard the sound of the touchscreen fan running very audibly. The temperature in the car was about 70 degrees. Previously I'd never heard this fan at all. Hopefully they can quickly dial this back - I don't want to listen to this fan running all the time!

Perhaps they cancelled the rollout because of the issue in the previous post?

I would hope so. I just got back from a drive. When you have the window open or are listening to the radio, you don't hear the constant droning hum from the screen fan. However if the windows are closed and the radio is off, it sounds like you are sitting next to a refrigerator whose motor is running. This is also the sound you hear when you get in the car. If you enjoy the quiet of the S when it's stopped, or if you are at all bothered by noises, you may wish to hold off on this update until Tesla fixes this.

Edit:

I pulled the screen fuse and after waiting 10 mins put it back in. The noise is now gone. Not sure if this is a permanent fix.

Last edited:
One little weirdness I noticed is that the "Recent Destinations" shows for each location the distance from your current location, but it seems to be "as the crow flies" as opposed to over the road. I noticed the distance to a couple of my past locations seemed a little light, and when I hit "Navigate" and it worked out the route, sure enough the mileage went up to where it should be. Something to watch out for if you use this to estimate your battery range.

It's always been like this for me with GPS directions. If I enter a destination, it appears with a bubble and a distance. Actually navigating reveals a much higher distance.

I would hope so. I just got back from a drive. When you have the window open or are listening to the radio, you don't hear the constant droning hum from the screen fan. However if the windows are closed and the radio is off, it sounds like you are sitting next to a refrigerator whose motor is running. This is also the sound you hear when you get in the car. If you enjoy the quiet of the S when it's stopped, or if you are at all bothered by noises, you may wish to hold off on this update until Tesla fixes this.

Edit:

I pulled the screen fuse and after waiting 10 mins put it back in. The noise is now gone. Not sure if this is a permanent fix.

Do you recall which fuse it is? I'd look it up, but since you already have...:)

There are two fuse boxes. As you face the car, standing in front of the frunck, you want the box on the left side. Pull the cover on this box. You will see a bunch of fuses. Two of them are yellow (20 Amps). One of the yellow fuses is along the right side of the box (this is not the one you want). The other, which is the one you want, is along the top side of the box (closest to the front passenger seat). It sits between a 5 and a 30 Amp fuse. Pull this yellow fuse and wait for ten or fifteen minutes before sticking it back in. This did the trick for me (at least for now).