Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After doing a range charge prior to a recent trip from San Diego to San Francisco, I was surprised to discover virtually no regenerative braking when I started out. I checked my settings and they were still set to standard. I then realized that with my battery completely full, regenerative braking became more or less "disabled," with no room in the battery to add additional charge. After a few miles of driving, my regen braking returned to "normal." I am still on 4.5.

After doing a range charge prior to a recent trip from San Diego to San Francisco, I was surprised to discover virtually no regenerative braking when I started out. I checked my settings and they were still set to standard. I then realized that with my battery completely full, regenerative braking became more or less "disabled," with no room in the battery to add additional charge. After a few miles of driving, my regen braking returned to "normal." I am still on 4.5.
Yes, known effect. It should have shown you the "famous green line" in the display...

There are lots of posts about this. What you experienced is totally normal and has nothing to do with the software version you're running. If regen wasn't diabled with the battery totally full, you'd have no where to store the extra energy generated during regen.

I know - but people tend to call it the 'green line' to contrast it with the yellow line that shows up on the other end of the spectrum if you are about to deplete your battery and the car limits your maximum power draw...
Oh, you mean the "greenlining" comment. Gotcha.

- - - Updated - - -

the yellow line that shows up on the other end of the spectrum if you are about to deplete your battery and the car limits your maximum power draw...
When your battery is in the trip/range charge territory (> 90%) and/or your climate conditions come into play, you also see the dashed yellow in the regen area as well. FYI.

My car went in for service last week & I had asked for the v5 because we are lucky to get 1 bar of AT&T at home, SC installed 5.0 (1.35.102) & I was told all cars that came in were getting the update (this was on Sept 4)

Had mine in for 6K tire rotation and a few other odds and ends today, and asked if they would install v5. They said no. Guess I'll have to wait with the rest....

In just a few days, it will have been a month since 5.0 was spotted in the wild and yet there are no reports of OTA updates occurring.

I remind myself to appreciate the fact that we have a car that actually receives software upgrades, but I seriously believe it is time for Tesla to start pushing out 5.0. It is a high priority update given that it contains sleep mode, which patches a very blatant flaw in a car that is otherwise nearly flawless, so... Prioritize it, Tesla. Please.

Pictures or...

325? Meh. Been there, done that. How about 330?

000-rt02-harris330.jpg

Photo taken at Harris Ranch SuperCharger this past weekend.

Tesla probably has higher priorities. They're probably working on the plans to open the first battery swap facility somewhere in LA in a couple years. :rolleyes:

In just a few days, it will have been a month since 5.0 was spotted in the wild and yet there are no reports of OTA updates occurring.

I remind myself to appreciate the fact that we have a car that actually receives software upgrades, but I seriously believe it is time for Tesla to start pushing out 5.0. It is a high priority update given that it contains sleep mode, which patches a very blatant flaw in a car that is otherwise nearly flawless, so... Prioritize it, Tesla. Please.

Just today I was driving on a nearly fully charged battery, and noticed regen wasn't kicking in as I approached red lights and stop signs. Then later I stopped noticing its absence... now I understand why. For a moment I thought this was a bug not a feature!

Based on reports it sounds as if there are still bugs in 5.0, especially around sleep mode. I prefer that Tesla work out the issues with the official beta testers before making it generally available (GA). Patience.

Last edited:

Would you rather they get it right, or push it out hastily? I vote for the former. What gives you the authoritative expertise to say 'its time' for them to start pushing out 5.0? Irrespective of how much I dislike the vampire drain, I have yet to hear a single report that set vampire drain has 1) caused a car to brick, 2) caused an owner to be stranded or 3) been anything other than a nuisance. Let's let them get it working properly and let the experts to their job.

I do not know if this is a "feature" of 5.0, or was present before: When in reverse, the mute button does not work. Sometimes I find myself listening to loud music and when reversing, I don't want the distraction (distractions while driving 80 mph are perfectly acceptable :biggrin: )

Tesla probably has higher priorities. They're probably working on the plans to open the first battery swap facility somewhere in LA in a couple years. :rolleyes:

More than likely the next few months will be all about the European rollout. Spreading across a region with dozens of different languages, charging standards, and legal BS probably takes a fair amount of resources. I doubt we'll see much in the way of new updates/features until the new year. Superchargers coming online will have to be enough.

Would you rather they get it right, or push it out hastily? I vote for the former. What gives you the authoritative expertise to say 'its time' for them to start pushing out 5.0? Irrespective of how much I dislike the vampire drain, I have yet to hear a single report that set vampire drain has 1) caused a car to brick, 2) caused an owner to be stranded or 3) been anything other than a nuisance. Let's let them get it working properly and let the experts to their job.

I agree with the result of your logic (I really want them to get the firmware right).
I'm perplexed that they use many brand new customers who happen to be in Europe or happen to have certain features (PDC, Winter Package) as guinea pigs and don't allow those of us who know their cars and would LIKE to be guinea pigs to test 5.0 as well. But that's a company decision and I can live with it.
What I don't agree with is the last sentence. Vampire drain is a massive issue. ~3kWh a day, 1000kWh a year that's actual cost. Also, cars parked without charging for a few weeks are possibly being bricked (an S60 would be a 0% SOC in about 3 weeks). Also, if you travel and don't have a charger right at the place where you stay (many hotels offer no place to charge) then you'll lose 5% of your charge a day in your S60 - that can cause you to get stranded on your way to the next charger.
So yes, I don't think they should roll out a buggy release, but I also think that vampire drain is much more than just a nuisance. It's a reasonably serious flaw.

Also, cars parked without charging for a few weeks are possibly being bricked (an S60 would be a 0% SOC in about 3 weeks).

While I agree the vampire drain can be a problem--and it certainly is costly over a year, cars will not brick from it. When the battery reaches a low SOC threshold, the car already goes into a hibernation mode automatically--at which time power draw becomes much much smaller.