Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The app on my android phone takes over 2 minutes to connect to my car. It times out after 2 minutes, I have to hit Retry, and then it finally connects after another 10 seconds or so. ( I am still on 4.5 too.) This happens every time I use the app. Am I the only one that has to wait so stinking long for the app to connect??? For now this is an annoyance, but come winter I will be using the app daily to warm up the car so I am hoping I only have to wait 45 seconds.

I never force quit like others mention. I load the app and if it takes more than a few seconds to load i just hit the back button then reopen the app. Usually loads right up then. I have a Nexus 4

Thanks for the video FlasherZ. It takes me more than 13 seconds to get my coffee put in the drink holder and wait for the garage door to open.... I must admit I didn't take you for a "Monkeys" fan though...

It's Smashmouth's version. I like everything from Rush to Steve Miler to Rascall Flatts to Macklemore to Smashmouth to Marvin Gaye to Bocephus. Only thing I really don't like is extreme hip-hop.

Note I was being quiet so I didn't wake the car too early. Let sleeping babies lie and all that. :)

One other thing to note about the sleep mode and telemetry - when the car is sleeping it maintains its 3G connection but not WiFi - in the video, the 5-bar 3G status shows this, so the music starts streaming from 3G and will/should cut over once WiFi gets connected.

(Thanks for fixing the video, Nigel, you are a wizard at advanced editing here and I know just barely enough to get a link posted... :) )

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. Thats great news, I'd still rather it was less but leaving Model S at the airport when I'm on a trip is finally possible (I don't worry about winter weather.....).

I'm sure there's more room for a lot more improvement, part it will likely be figuring out what can be left "alive" and what can be powered down. Firmware for subsystems might not be able to cleanly power down and may require update cycles with those providers (e.g., TPMS units or somesuch).

I never understand when people say this. I suppose you get a thrill out of paying for more than 1000kWh of wasted energy every year.

I won't mind waiting 10-15 seconds for the car to wake up when I get in, and will be glad it's more energy efficient. However, I use the mobile app 4-5 times a day and with 4.5.XX.61 it connects in 5 seconds with my iPhone 5. If it connects in about a minute, I'm going to waste 24 hours a year waiting for the app to open. It's useless to have an app that takes a minute to access. What they should have done is allow a fast connection during sleep, somehow cache the user request (which is generally heating or cooling the car), and then wake the car and implement the request while the user is offline and out of the app.

One other thing to note about the sleep mode and telemetry - when the car is sleeping it maintains its 3G connection but not WiFi - in the video, the 5-bar 3G status shows this, so the music starts streaming from 3G and will/should cut over once WiFi gets connected.
Hey, so v5.0 also enables WiFi? If so, sweet! Sleep mode not selectable? That's not so sweet...

I won't mind waiting 10-15 seconds for the car to wake up when I get in, and will be glad it's more energy efficient. However, I use the mobile app 4-5 times a day and with 4.5.XX.61 it connects in 5 seconds with my iPhone 5. If it connects in about a minute, I'm going to waste 24 hours a year waiting for the app to open. It's useless to have an app that takes a minute to access. What they should have done is allow a fast connection during sleep, somehow cache the user request (which is generally heating or cooling the car), and then wake the car and implement the request while the user is offline and out of the app.

You can't open your app while doing something else for a minute? Maybe you can schedule your bathroom breaks around the opening of your Tesla app. That way you haven't really wasted any time.

What they should have done is allow a fast connection during sleep, somehow cache the user request (which is generally heating or cooling the car), and then wake the car and implement the request while the user is offline and out of the app.

That is a longer-term architecture change possibility. Right now the app talks through the web server to a live car. They could rearchitect the communications to allow for more of an OnStar model, where there is a mobile_app <-> stateful_server <-> vehicle separation, but that would change the experience of the app, which displays information in real-time. You'd need to change that so the mobile app would show "car sleeping", with a button to wake it, during which time you wouldn't have access to any real-time information (location, temp, etc.)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, so v5.0 also enables WiFi? If so, sweet! Sleep mode not selectable? That's not so sweet...

Yes, to both counts. The "range mode" toggle doesn't change anything about sleep.

You can't open your app while doing something else for a minute? Maybe you can schedule your bathroom breaks around the opening of your Tesla app. That way you haven't really wasted any time.

Surely you pre-cool your car for your clients when you're driving them around showing listings in Arizona in the summer. I guess we're going to just have to get used to tapping the Tesla app, putting the phone in our pocket, and pulling it back out a minute later. It would be rude to stare at your phone for a minute in front of clients, right?

I never understand when people say this. I suppose you get a thrill out of paying for more than 1000kWh of wasted energy every year.
I get what you are saying. However, not everything is always about saving energy. Maybe to you, and probably often to me. Just not "always." Sometimes, I may want to quickly access the car to cool it down. Actually, I have someone who delivers my dry cleaning to the car and it would be nice to unlock it for her instantly when she calls. Again, nice to have. Absolutely necessary, no. This is about tweaking things to total optimization. We got something we wanted, now we want it even better. That's the way we role on this forum.

• If I had no choice, I'll take the slow app to save energy. No way going back.
  • My second choice would be to have a user selectable option.
  • My first choice is to have no option to change, and everything still work instantly. Probably not going to happen, but maybe they'll figure a work around.

- - - Updated - - -

Update:
Parked car at 9pm last night with 185 range. This AM at 07:30, still with exactly 185 range. 0 miles of loss.
FYI: parked in garage with temp about 75 degrees.

Is there any way to have the app take the command to cool the car then the server sends the signal to the car a min later? That way it seems instant to the user even if there is a delay. The way it works now isn't bad. Good to have some of the vampire drain gone in 5.0 though.

Is there any way to have the app take the command to cool the car then the server sends the signal to the car a min later? That way it seems instant to the user even if there is a delay. The way it works now isn't bad. Good to have some of the vampire drain gone in 5.0 though.

OnStar used to do that, but there were plenty of cases where it just "lost" the request.

The OnStar app now does what I was explaining as a possible architecture. It takes the command immediately, and if you trust it you can put your phone away. It will give you a status indication as to whether the command (lock, unlock, engine start, horn & lights, etc.) was successful on the next polling cycle.

However, I've had enough failures of OnStar and have spent many minutes standing in front of the car waiting for the unlock signal to go through for the second or third time that I almost prefer Tesla's always-online model and the 45 seconds of waiting for it to wake up.

^ This. I totally get what FlasherZ is saying and that it would require modifications to the server, but IMO this makes way more sense now that we have sleep mode. All of my home automation devices poll a cloud server for status updates and I like the feel of the semi-instantaneous response of the app. The advantage of this implementation being that I don't have to wait 45 sec just to shoot a pre-condition or start charging command.