Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That concerns me. Although I have yet to receive ver 5.6, the rated range calculation should be a constant that only takes in consideration what the EPA rates as the expected watts used per mile in an average temp day at average driving speeds.

+1. It's called "rated" range for a reason, right? And didn't EPA already determine 308 W/mi on the 85 kw? Hence, rated should equal that number without exception. Not too sure of their reasoning and logic behind changing the calculation.

I don't see a reason why rated range should even be affected by temperature. Now, with projected range, that's a different story.

I didn't read the "range calculation change" statement that way. I think what they mean is that they are measuring state of charge differently. For example, if your battery is cold, you'll likely see less miles because the battery pack cannot be read reliably. Once your battery is at optimal conditions, you'll get a better read out. But, you won't "gain" range as we've seen when going downhill for a long time, you'll just see it stick at the current rated miles for a long period of time.

@tdiggity I agree. They changed the SOC calculation, both estimating the current SOC and figuring out when charging reaches a requested SOC. This in turn will result in changes to a rated range number at a given SOC.

Unrelated:

Has anyone noticed that supercharger charges no longer seem to get added to the visited chargers list? I charged at my first SC under 4.5 and it was added to this list. But today, my charge at the new Rocky Mount charger under 5.6 was not.

Has anyone noticed that supercharger charges no longer seem to get added to the visited chargers list? I charged at my first SC under 4.5 and it was added to this list. But today, my charge at the new Rocky Mount charger under 5.6 was not.

I don't have 5.6 yet but I have noticed that I don't have ANY range charges listed. On my 5540 mile trip May - Jun, we range charged twice a day for 3 weeks! So far all of my charge locations are listed. Will watch once I get 5.6.

Anyone losing this type of miles to vampire drain needs to contact a service center or 'owner experience' to troubleshoot the problem. My garage temp last night was about 45 degrees. My charge was 219 at 8pm and 219 at 7am this AM. My experience with 5.6 vampire loss is max of 3 miles in 24 hours when sitting.

Things that may help.

1. Key fobs 20+ feet away from the vehicle (mine is 10 feet but separated by a metal door). Close phone app/ipad app, etc.

2. Reboot the 17" screen
I've always lost around 7 or 8 miles overnight... Since day 1 :eek:

Minimum Cruise Speed is Now 17 mph

I notice that the minimal cruise control speed in V5.6 is now 17mph – Previously it was 20mph. Also, if you are going 17mph and press the cruise control stalk down, the cruise control is turned off – previously if would just stay at 20mph.
2013-11-14 17mph Cruise.jpg

I've always lost around 7 or 8 miles overnight... Since day 1 :eek:

Blue girl: Long time no talk! My experience is so different than many of the people here regarding 5.6. With 4.5 I lost between 6-10 miles overnight (12 hour period). With 5.6 I am down to 1-2. Not sure why there is such a difference. Since your 'Location' indicates Florida I would assume you are still in the 50-60 degree range at night?

All, we went through this very same stuff last year when it got cold.

If your car is parked in cold conditions (near freezing and above), you may see a drop of 7-9 miles rated overnight. But that it primarily because the pack has been cold soaked, so the apparent SOC (state of charge) as seen by Tesla's algorithms is lower. The vast majority of that is not real range loss. As you drive and the pack warms up, some of it comes back.

Remember the wonderful Broder incident? He came out to a cold car, panicked at the range loss, and turned on the climate control to heat up the pack and get range back. That was his major mistake. You don't turn on the heater and expect it to add energy to the pack (Duh)! He should have just started driving, and as the pack warmed up, some of the apparent range would have returned. I think many of you are seeing the same effect.

I've repeated it in several threads now. A good tesla source (Walter Frank) has indicated that the car does not actively heat the pack while parked unless it's REALLY cold (sub 20°F?)

Speculation: In other 5.6 news, I called yesterday and Ownership said they're still pushing 5.6, but obviously there's little evidence of that here. I suspect they're implementing some rolling fixes and will send an updated build to the remaining folks...then go back and push the updated build to those who already have 5.6. Again, just my hunch.

Last edited:
Couple of issue that I have had in 24 hours.

Charge port not releasing charger
Tilt mirrors not tilting
Door handles not presenting
No beep with parking sensors
Car rolls forward and backwards at a stop (creep is off)

Since I have only had the car for 24 hours some of these things might be normal but the charge port not releasing is a concern.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Todd, I have not seen those posts but I will not worry about it at this point. Tesla said if I was losing more than 20 miles overnight that that would be an issue.

Couple of issue that I have had in 24 hours.

Charge port not releasing charger
Tilt mirrors not tilting
Door handles not presenting
No beep with parking sensors
Car rolls forward and backwards at a stop (creep is off)

Since I have only had the car for 24 hours some of these things might be normal but the charge port not releasing is a concern.

Charge port: car must be unlocked to release cable. Ensure the car senses your FOB before attempting to unplug.

Tilt mirrors: put car in reverse to set the tilt positions.

Door handles not presenting: ensure the option is on in the settings. Also, if the car hasn't seen the fob for 24+ hrs, you have to unlock manually using the fob.

Car rolling forward and backward at a stop (creep off): this is expected behavior, is it not?

My 8 mile average range loss in a 12 hour overnight span is all in a 60+ degree F garage.
So it's not a battery cold soak issue... even with 5.6 my car is consuming unreasonable amount of idle power (200-250W). I'll give it one more week to see if I can ever get sleep mode to work, then contact Tesla if not.

If your car is parked in cold conditions (near freezing and above), you may see a drop of 7-9 miles rated overnight. But that it primarily because the pack his been cold soaked, so the apparent SOC as seen by Tesla's algorithms is lower. The vast majority of that is not real range loss. As you drive and the pack warms up, some of it comes back.

Remember the wonderful Broder incident? He came out to a cold car, panicked at the range loss, and turned on the climate control to heat up the pack and get range back. That was his major mistake. You don't turn on the heater and expect it to add energy to the pack (Duh)! He should have just started driving, and as the pack warmed up, some of the apparent range would have returned. I think many of you are seeing the same effect.

I've repeated it in several threads now. A good tesla source (Walter Frank) has indicated that the car does not actively heat the pack unless it's REALLY cold (sub 20°F?)

Charge port: car must be unlocked to release cable. Ensure the car senses your FOB before attempting to unplug.

Tilt mirrors: put car in reverse to set the tilt positions.

Door handles not presenting: ensure the option is on in the settings. Also, if the car hasn't seen the fob for 24+ hrs, you have to unlock manually using the fob.

Car rolling forward and backward at a stop (creep off): this is expected behavior, is it not?

Shouldn't the mirrors simply tilt as soon as the car is put in reverse?, I was not told I had to do anything else than put the car in reverse.

Car rolling, not sure my Volvo did not roll when it was in drive....that might be a Tesla thing.....still new to the car!

All else I get.

My 8 mile average range loss in a 12 hour overnight span is all in a 60+ degree F garage.
So it's not a battery cold soak issue... even with 5.6 my car is consuming unreasonable amount of idle power (200-250W). I'll give it one more week to see if I can ever get sleep mode to work, then contact Tesla if not.

Yes, THAT is unusual. Have you tried pulling the touchscreen fuse (Fuse 51), letting it sit without a fuse for about 10 minutes (let all capacitors drain), then replacing the fuse? Just a suggestion.

Also, I wouldn't wait a week if I were you. Call Tesla tomorrow, and ask them to pull the logs. If there's a bug in 5.6 that's keeping your car from proper sleep, Tesla will want to find out ASAP. That way I get the fixes in my build when they finally push me 5.6 in, say....2015?!? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Shouldn't the mirrors simply tilt as soon as the car is put in reverse?, I was not told I had to do anything else than put the car in reverse.

Car rolling, not sure my Volvo did not roll when it was in drive....that might be a Tesla thing.....still new to the car!

All else I get.

Yes, they tilt when you put the car in reverse. But the factory default position is the same as the normal mirror position. No reverse position is set until you explicitly put the car in reverse and adjust the mirrors while in reverse.

RE the car rolling: pretend you're in a manual transmission car, which behaves exactly the same way. If you don't like that, turn creep on.

Blue girl: Long time no talk! My experience is so different than many of the people here regarding 5.6. With 4.5 I lost between 6-10 miles overnight (12 hour period). With 5.6 I am down to 1-2. Not sure why there is such a difference. Since your 'Location' indicates Florida I would assume you are still in the 50-60 degree range at night?
Hi! We've only seen temps that low the last few nights. Usually it doesn't get below low 70's at night. I don't pay much attention to overnight losses anymore, so I'll start tracking it just to see if anything changes with the weather. I've become so used to driving electric now all range anxiety is gone. I just plug in when I get home, unplug and go in the morning without looking, really. I sort of checked it the first couple of days after getting 5.6 and was still losing about the same, though.

My lifetime avg wh/mi is 315, which seems pretty good to me so that's what I pay most attention to!

Speculation: In other 5.6 news, I called yesterday and Ownership said they're still pushing 5.6, but obviously there's little evidence of that here. I suspect they're implementing some rolling fixes and will send an updated build to the remaining folks...then go back and push the updated build to those who already have 5.6. Again, just my hunch.

So just to clarify, TM has halted the rollout until an updated build is available (1.45.xx)? Or are they actively pushing 1.45.45 OTA and will also be releasing minor bug fixes at some future time? If the latter, I would be very surprised as there is essentially no evidence of OTA updates within the past several days. If the former, I would find myself very frustrated. The deadline was several months ago for this update and, at this point, I just want the update no matter what.