Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: Range calculations have changed (to be more accurate) - but no explanation as to what has changed.

I thought one of the changes I heard on a video was that on a longer trip that it would take into account stopping at superchargers for an optimum time?

That makes no sense. They won't do battery range calculations / estimations based on future yet-to-be-done "possible-but-not-guaranteed" charging options. If anything their new firmware algorithms may better take into account previous performance and/or more realtime battery discharge & capacity variables.

I got 5.6 (1.45.45) today! :biggrin: I am VIN 37, so maybe there is some priority for low VIN numbers.

Also, there was an item in the release notes that said priority in future pushes would be given to MS's connected to a WiFi network.

This is just in time for my trip home to Pagosa tomorrow, where I have to do close to a range charge on the Silverthorne Supercharger to make it to Pagosa. I hope to see my 1:30 time to charge those last 110 rated miles with 4.5 drop to 0:45 with 5.6.

V5-6.JPG

Nope, I don't think the updated 120kW charge curve is going to cut that time in half for you, once you get into higher SoC you're probably going to see the same rated mph added to your battery.

The 120 kW curve goes from nothing to full in 1:15. It has to be faster in the end game, also. 110/265 is 42%. Take a look at the curve below from the Tesla page. Maybe it will be 50 or 55 minutes with the 5.6 for those last 110 miles, but still, it should be much faster than the 90 minutes I've waited the last few times.

Attachments

• SC Charging.png
    SC Charging.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 505
The 120 kW curve goes from nothing to full in 1:15. It has to be faster in the end game, also. 110/265 is 42%. Take a look at the curve below from the Tesla page. Maybe it will be 50 or 55 minutes with the 5.6 for those last 110 miles, but still, it should be much faster than the 90 minutes I've waited the last few times.

Look forward to hearing your results; would be pleasantly surprised if you are right, but also quite surprised if it get close to cutting your time in half for a 100% charge.

We are regular-joe 4.5 users and have the alarm clock for an update. Will update this evening after driving home. Don't want to be stuck at work just in case something goes sideways. Am I the only one looking forward to the creep-surge fix? Sleep mode will be nice too but the surging has been driving me crazy.

-update-
Installed 1.45.45 tonight. Haven't driven yet but all seems to be well. I connected it to my home WiFi and then switched it off. I figured I'd wait until someone here on TMC talked about the next update and then I'd switch it on. But when I switched it off it said that it would restart next time I drove. Found that odd.

Last edited:
I got 5.6 (.45) today. I was in for other unrelated items at the Service Center. What a cool surprise! Of course, everyone is different but for me the biggest thing is having the maps point in the direction I am travelling!

Ditto. At the Bellevue, WA Service Center.

LOVE the new maps! Both direction-of-travel & the fact that the tiles are cached. MUCH better than before.

Do you still get stale traffic when you first start the car? This has been a big issue for me on 4.5. Toggling traffic doesn't seem to solve the issue either.

My quick way to refresh the stale traffic indicators when I start the car is to switch between satellite and map tiles.

Always works (unlike trying to turn traffic off and on), without having to move or resize the map.

I am still on 4.5.

My quick way to refresh the stale traffic indicators when I start the car is to switch between satellite and map tiles.

Always works (unlike trying to turn traffic off and on), without having to move or resize the map.

For some reason that doesn't seem to work all the time for me. I wish they would cache everything but the traffic and send a request immediately for updated traffic when the car boots up. Seems like a pretty simple software fix.

I am still on 4.5.

This doesn't work for me either all the time on 4.5. sometimes I'll have two different stale traffic data from one switch to next. Zooming into particular areas updates but zoom out reverts to old data.

My car was in for 12K service and some other issues at the San Rafael SC for several days and I specifically requested the update. It is even on my work order but they refused to do it. It seems like the Bay area SCs are not installing the update whereas other places are. Very frustrating to say the least. They are unnecessarily annoying loyal Tesla owners. On top of that I took delivery in Nov 2012 so its not like I just got the car a few months ago.

My car was in for 12K service and some other issues at the San Rafael SC for several days and I specifically requested the update. It is even on my work order but they refused to do it. It seems like the Bay area SCs are not installing the update whereas other places are. Very frustrating to say the least. They are unnecessarily annoying loyal Tesla owners. On top of that I took delivery in Nov 2012 so its not like I just got the car a few months ago.

Annoying, but if that's the worst Tesla service experience you ever have, you are going to have one great run with the car. Others in the Bay Area have reported getting the alarm bell today, so hopefully we'll get it very soon.