Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if it takes some time to fall into deep sleep, or if it happens when the doors are locked. I've not noticed any lag with the dashboard, so i am a tad confused. I have verified that the energy switch is set to on (it's now the default).

It sleeps pretty quickly (15-30 minutes). It wakes up on occasion to take care of the 12v battery so it's not abnormal to approach your car and it's already awake. I've had that happen several times now.

Car is updating itself to 5.6 today, Excited to finally have the map facing the same direction as travel

And the caching of map data is much better in areas of poor cell coverage. I drove from Boulder, CO to Pagosa Springs, CO today giving it a good test. :biggrin:

Also, the end game on the Supercharger is more aggressive. Adding the last 110 to 120 miles in Silverthorne so that I can make it to Pagosa took at least 1:30 with 4.5. With 5.6, it was down to 0:55 or so. I will have the analyze the charge data in detail later comparing 4.5 to 5.6.

My next trip back the other way when I get to see the nearly empty charge rate should be interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing 120 kW, but that will be several weeks in the future.

Last edited:
It went from 135 to 130 over about 10 hours. Ambient temp, garaged in Austin, so likely in the 70s. Need more data points, mine could have been 134.5 to 130.4, rounding ecould change things.

I was wondering if it takes some time to fall into deep sleep, or if it happens when the doors are locked. I've not noticed any lag with the dashboard, so i am a tad confused. I have verified that the energy switch is set to on (it's now the default).

@cinergi - Didn't your car have a problem where it was not fully entering sleep mode? Perhaps this is the issue here although we would need more data to know for sure. What actions did Tesla take to get your car into sleep mode?

@cinergi - Didn't your car have a problem where it was not fully entering sleep mode? Perhaps this is the issue here although we would need more data to know for sure. What actions did Tesla take to get your car into sleep mode?

I did ... it's possible that's what's going on here, but if it's *ever* sleeping (check via the app 30 minutes after charging completes to see if it takes a while to contact the car) then that's not the issue. Mine *never* slept in that condition.
Tesla had to remotely log into my car and tweak something but that was while I was still on 5.0 -- before the on/off switch that's present in 5.6.

I had my car into Philly SC today and they updated my car to 5.6. I was hoping to see less "vampire" loss. A few days ago I charged my car to 200 miles. I then drove 97 miles over next couple days without recharging and last night I had 37 rated miles left. Ouch. Last night I charged again to 200 miles, and as of this evening I've driven 67 miles today and have 102 rated miles left. Still not good.

Todays experience post update is all that is relevant, and it seems there are dozens of reasons besides vampire load you could have underperformed 200 mile range you woke up with, including temp, driving style, the fact that update probably used some kW hours and many more. Would be great to hear rated loss from time put to bed until woken up, without plugging in. That will tell how much is vampire load vs other factors.

I hope this is an option which can be turned off. It would drive me absolutely nuts.
I wasn't really interested in the "up is the direction of travel" for the 17" that many really want. I knew that Tesla would keep a setting for the existing north up, so I wasn't worried about it. I can confirm that my expectation was correct -- you can easily toggle between the two choices.

Hopefully the below isn't a spoiler. I'll obfuscate it somewhat in case people want to see the map experience in 5.6 for themselves rather than reading about it.

What I wasn't expecting or ready for is how they would implement the two settings.

So let's start with how it was in 4.5 (to my recollection). There's a "target" / "crosshairs" icon that can be used to snap to map such that the vehicle indicator (the triangle) is in the center. If you pan the map, the icon goes to its inactive color (gray?). If you want to re-center again, you tap the icon and you're back and it lights up (blue).

In 5.6, it's a variation on the theme but it didn't "get" it at first. The icon is gone and there's a new one that, to me at least, obviously indicated that I was in "north up" mode. I then tapped it a few times seeing how it would work and indeed could see that it would toggle between the two flavors of directional preference. But then my next thought was .. but what about the re-centering button? So I played with it some more and it became obvious. The old model was "pan disables auto-center", and the new model is too. Tapping the new button snaps and establishes the directional preference and lights it up. Tapping it again keeps the centering but toggles the directional preference. Simple, clean, intuitive.

The interesting part, that I wasn't aware they had included, is the enhancement from "pinch to zoom" to "pinch to zoom, and rotate" gesture. It's very much what I expect from previous implementations (in various browsers and apps) and I like it. Much.
:)

For those of you that don't have a white background, hopefully the shrunk text size will obfuscate it enough that you can bypass reading it if you want. For those that do have a white background, select the area before the smilie to see the text.

I wasn't really interested in the "up is the direction of travel" for the 17" that many really want. I knew that Tesla would keep a setting for the existing north up, so I wasn't worried about it. I can confirm that my expectation was correct -- you can easily toggle between the two choices.

Hopefully the below isn't a spoiler. I'll obfuscate it somewhat in case people want to see the map experience in 5.6 for themselves rather than reading about it.

What I wasn't expecting or ready for is how they would implement the two settings.

So let's start with how it was in 4.5 (to my recollection). There's a "target" / "crosshairs" icon that can be used to snap to map such that the vehicle indicator (the triangle) is in the center. If you pan the map, the icon goes to its inactive color (gray?). If you want to re-center again, you tap the icon and you're back and it lights up (blue).

In 5.6, it's a variation on the theme but it didn't "get" it at first. The icon is gone and there's a new one that, to me at least, obviously indicated that I was in "north up" mode. I then tapped it a few times seeing how it would work and indeed could see that it would toggle between the two flavors of directional preference. But then my next thought was .. but what about the re-centering button? So I played with it some more and it became obvious. The old model was "pan disables auto-center", and the new model is too. Tapping the new button snaps and establishes the directional preference and lights it up. Tapping it again keeps the centering but toggles the directional preference. Simple, clean, intuitive.

The interesting part, that I wasn't aware they had included, is the enhancement from "pinch to zoom" to "pinch to zoom, and rotate" gesture. It's very much what I expect from previous implementations (in various browsers and apps) and I like it. Much.

For those of you that don't have a white background, hopefully the shrunk text size will obfuscate it enough that you can bypass reading it if you want. For those that do have a white background, select the area before the smilie to see the text.

RTFM :)

cool invisible ink trick!

My car just lost 7 miles of rated range in 2 hours while parked in my garage. Thought it was downloading the update but no such luck. Really odd that I lost 7 miles so quickly.

It could be the cold last night in the Bay Area. It was cold enough to trigger the dotted yellow regen limiter line on my car this morning. Perhaps you haven't lost any charge, it's just making what it thinks is a more accurate range estimation.

It could be the cold last night in the Bay Area. It was cold enough to trigger the dotted yellow regen limiter line on my car this morning. Perhaps you haven't lost any charge, it's just making what it thinks is a more accurate range estimation.

No, this was from 6pm-8pm, i wouldn't expect such a drastic drop that quickly and our garage is pretty well insulated from the weather. It was quite warm yesterday in the south bay.

6pm range: 130
8pm range: 123 (i only noticed because i forgot a jacket in the car and went out to get it)
Next day 10am range: 119

The map sure looks different with 5.6! I like it. (The car needn't be centered though, show me more map where I'm heading.)

The vampire claimed 5 miles of range last night. Is that about right for the new "energy saving" mode?
I haven't done any scientific tests but I think if the fobs are too close to the car it won't sleep. I don't think our car is sleeping and I verified the saving mode is on - our fobs are in a bucket ~20ft from the car on the other side of the garage wall. This morning the car showed 250 miles (Ideal - we're Roadster owners and are used to that measurement vs rated) which is actually worse than on 4.5. Though I recall the release notes saying they are tweaking the way the car car measures miles so not sure what that means. I'm not awake in the middle of the night when it finishes charging.

just got my 5.6 update from 4.5.... all is good!

Attachments

• photo-27.JPG
    photo-27.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 435
No, this was from 6pm-8pm, i wouldn't expect such a drastic drop that quickly and our garage is pretty well insulated from the weather. It was quite warm yesterday in the south bay.

6pm range: 130
8pm range: 123 (i only noticed because i forgot a jacket in the car and went out to get it)
Next day 10am range: 119

If it was sleeping, your car must have sleep apnia. For the sake of my expectations of 5.6, I hope there's some good explanation for these numbers.