Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the deal. You don't get it that I don't have it. Got it?

View attachment 36047

Ever since installing 5.8, the car keeps bugging me about wifi this, wifi that. Here's the deal, Tesla: there is no wifi. There will be no wifi. There can be no wifi. I'm in a condo garage. Big dark dungeon of an underground garage. There is no wifi. I spent $3650 to get a NEMA 14-50 installed so that you would have electrons to slurp from. But I'd have to spend a heck of a lot more than that (read: buy the entire condo complex) before I could then spend more to get wifi into the garage.

So, giving me a "Not Now" button but not a "Not EVER" button really doesn't help does it? Every time I start the car in the morning, I get the Wifi Beg dialog box from 5.8. Every time, I press "Not Now" and every following morning I get the Wifi Beg again.

Not gonna happen. As much as I'd love for there to be wifi when the car is parked, not. gonna. happen.

yours truly,
a customer (who in case you didn't know, doesn't have wifi near the car)

Is the trigger for this because you don't have any wifi connections setup? May be worth setting up at least one and see if it stops (starbucks, mcdonalds, paired phone) prompting you.

Here's the deal. You don't get it that I don't have it. Got it?

Ever since installing 5.8, the car keeps bugging me about wifi this, wifi that. Here's the deal, Tesla: there is no wifi. There will be no wifi. There can be no wifi. I'm in a condo garage. Big dark dungeon of an underground garage. There is no wifi. I spent $3650 to get a NEMA 14-50 installed so that you would have electrons to slurp from. But I'd have to spend a heck of a lot more than that (read: buy the entire condo complex) before I could then spend more to get wifi into the garage.

Curious--if you connect it to a wifi network somewhere, anywhere--Starbucks, whatever--will it stop bugging you to connect in your garage? I'm connected at home and it doesn't bug me anywhere else--wondering if you just need an initial connection to satisfy its demands.

No, I'm in an S85 and the regen is clearly less abrupt in engaging. If you use cruise control get going 60 or 65, then cancel and you'll notice (or maybe you won't!) that there isn't as big of a jerk as before. Over about a second or so regen will go to maximal which you can confirm on the dash display.

There's a lot of hand wringing about this, but the actual impact is negligible, might need to lift off the accelerator a second earlier than before to get the car to stop at the same point it previously would, but it's ridiculous to think a minor change like this would impact efficiency. I think those who are most bothered it is more because of the driving style they've adopted because of the regen, they'll just need to adapt their driving technique a tiny bit, like we all did when first driving a Tesla, and in about 3 days we'll hardly notice.

IMO, this is a fantastic change, I would always be trying to feather the accelerator as I came out of cruise control so I didn't get that abrupt slowing that was uncomfortable for passengers. It's much smoother and more natural.

I concur. In 5.6 and earlier, regent ramps up very quickly, probably over a 50-100 millisecond window. In 5.8, it looks like the window is more like 500 mS. I'm sure the accelerator control uses some sort of PDI algorithm. It feels to me like they tweaked the differential (D) component meaning that it takes a little longer to reach the control input value. This is probably why some people are saying you have to mash the accelerator to get the car to jump.

I was dong this pretty naturally for regen as I really didn't like the jerk that came with pulling your foot off.

I much prefer this change. Especially when others drive my car because it is much quicker to learn one foot driving.

Has anyone done a timed 0-60 mph with 5.8? I would bet that it's slightly slower now - probably on the order of 10ths of a second.

Is the trigger for this because you don't have any wifi connections setup? May be worth setting up at least one and see if it stops (starbucks, mcdonalds, paired phone) prompting you.

+100. This is exactly what I am gonna do. Starbucks, here we come.

Funny thing -- I contacted Ownership about this. They responded quickly, bless them, but, they seem to not get it at all. They seem to think what I am requesting is that the car's wifi capability be disabled. I never asked for that. I asked that the dialog box be modified so the user can say "Stop asking me this".

From Ownership's response I'm now wondering if it's just a fact of life that when you turn on a 5.8 car, it activates wifi, and if the software detects that wifi has not been set up yet, it bugs the user. And it will do this forever and ever and ever and ever every time you start the car.

So yeah, Starbucks SOON. I may also just create a fake network access point on my Mac laptop, and fool the car into thinking, ooh, there ya go, wifi, mmmmmmm... and then shut the damn thing down.

I'll report back what I find.

+100. This is exactly what I am gonna do. Starbucks, here we come.

Funny thing -- I contacted Ownership about this. They responded quickly, bless them, but, they seem to not get it at all. They seem to think what I am requesting is that the car's wifi capability be disabled. I never asked for that. I asked that the dialog box be modified so the user can say "Stop asking me this".

From Ownership's response I'm now wondering if it's just a fact of life that when you turn on a 5.8 car, it activates wifi, and if the software detects that wifi has not been set up yet, it bugs the user. And it will do this forever and ever and ever and ever every time you start the car.

So yeah, Starbucks SOON. I may also just create a fake network access point on my Mac laptop, and fool the car into thinking, ooh, there ya go, wifi, mmmmmmm... and then shut the damn thing down.

I'll report back what I find.

Have you tried clicking the x in the corner instead of clicking later?

To be a bit more fair, the US attempted to move to metric -- and some things started to change, but we just never finished converting...
The easy way to "fix" that is to spell the nanny lobby that you can make people drive slower by just changing all the "mph" to "kph" and leave the numbers as is. "Cheaper and you'll make people drive slower!"

It's wrong on so many levels (IMO) but wouldn't surprise me at all to see this happen.

- - - Updated - - -

So, giving me a "Not Now" button but not a "Not EVER" button really doesn't help does it? Every time I start the car in the morning, I get the Wifi Beg dialog box from 5.8. Every time, I press "Not Now" and every following morning I get the Wifi Beg again.
I agree with you on this one. Please report this concern to [email protected] so it'll make it more likely they'll fix it. Thanks!

No, I'm in an S85 and the regen is clearly less abrupt in engaging. If you use cruise control get going 60 or 65, then cancel and you'll notice (or maybe you won't!) that there isn't as big of a jerk as before. Over about a second or so regen will go to maximal which you can confirm on the dash display.

There's a lot of hand wringing about this, but the actual impact is negligible, might need to lift off the accelerator a second earlier than before to get the car to stop at the same point it previously would, but it's ridiculous to think a minor change like this would impact efficiency. I think those who are most bothered it is more because of the driving style they've adopted because of the regen, they'll just need to adapt their driving technique a tiny bit, like we all did when first driving a Tesla, and in about 3 days we'll hardly notice.

IMO, this is a fantastic change, I would always be trying to feather the accelerator as I came out of cruise control so I didn't get that abrupt slowing that was uncomfortable for passengers. It's much smoother and more natural.

Agree totally

Curious--if you connect it to a wifi network somewhere, anywhere--Starbucks, whatever--will it stop bugging you to connect in your garage? I'm connected at home and it doesn't bug me anywhere else--wondering if you just need an initial connection to satisfy its demands.

I'm also connected to wifi at home (where there's no cell coverage), but I still get a repeated prompt asking me if I want to connect via wifi when I'm away from home. In my case, I think it only happens when there are wifi signals present but no AT&T 3G. What I really want is an additional option for "don't show this request again" such as I often see on my computer.

I'm also connected to wifi at home (where there's no cell coverage), but I still get a repeated prompt asking me if I want to connect via wifi when I'm away from home. In my case, I think it only happens when there are wifi signals present but no AT&T 3G.

Doesn't happen to me but although AT&T is really weak around here it always shows minimum strength. It kinda makes sense that the car asks for a connection if there's no 3G, but I can see how that would become annoying.

New issue this morning after 5.8 update last night. My left turn signal no longer shows the green blinking arrow on the display, and it flashes at twice the speed of the right arrow, which is acting normally. I've tried rebooting with no change.

My car was delivered to me new with that anomaly, but it was fixed with a software update. You could try re-booting the dash (hold down two top steering wheel buttons) and or the center screen (two scroll wheels) and see if that helps...

Just a comment regarding the idea that the new regen improves Wh/mi efficiency. I don't think that's what is doing it, and here's why. I was very good at coming to a near complete stop without using the brakes. On my drive to work today I got a record low Wh/mi of 278, when I usually am around 300 (post AZ summer). I definitely noticed using the brakes more often on that trip, with no difference in temperature from the last few weeks, driving at the same speed I always do (80 on the freeway). There is no way that me using the brakes more often improved my efficiency, that's just Physics. I'm willing to bet they changed their calculation somehow.

Just a comment regarding the idea that the new regen improves Wh/mi efficiency. I don't think that's what is doing it, and here's why. I was very good at coming to a near complete stop without using the brakes. On my drive to work today I got a record low Wh/mi of 278, when I usually am around 300 (post AZ summer). I definitely noticed using the brakes more often on that trip, with no difference in temperature from the last few weeks, driving at the same speed I always do (80 on the freeway). There is no way that me using the brakes more often improved my efficiency, that's just Physics. I'm willing to bet they changed their calculation somehow.

It's possible that the regen while on the freeway is more efficient/easier to modulate with the new settings.

When regen is very strong initially, letting up just a little on the peddle slows the car often more than intended, then you have to press it again to speed up. You lose energy each time you do this.

Some people are very good at feathering the peddle just right (hyper-milers have it down to an art), but I've never been that good at it. In the Volt, I get slightly better mileage on the highway switching to 'D' (even lower than low regen on the Tesla), but in stop and go and street driving switching to 'L' (the Volt's highest regen setting) improves mileage.

After using 5.8 for a couple of days, I'm already used to it. It was a tad disconcerting the first time I drove it as my muscle memory had already gotten used to it the old way, but now it feels just as natural. If the car had come this way, I certainly wouldn't have complained. These feel more like refinements to me rather than big changes. It's very smooth and still feels very powerful. Still love my car and won't be signing any petitions just yet. ;)

I hate to say it, but the vampire losses on this car are going to be there forever. It's been a year since the car came out, and Tesla has been writing code since then to make the car better. It has improved very little for me. Wifi antenna won't find my signal that is 20 feet away, etc. Tesla has some problems in the software department. Why in the F... Are they worried about throttle/regen mapping, when the car uses double the power it should on a 20 mile daily commute due the vampire load? Makes very little sense.

When I park all day unplugged at work it typically gains a mile. It used to lose five miles (I'm still on 5.6). That seems like the vampire load is gone--or at least mostly so.