Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
agyda9y9.jpg

Yes! Here's a change!!

No, no, I'm referring to the unavailable features having more transparent buttons. In this example charge port - wasn't it the case in previous firmware that the button wasn't visible at all?

I might have said this before. Tesla keeps pointing to the limited resources they have every time they are asked questions about delays in software improvement features. So the limited resources are working on make buttons transparent? That is a priority over other heavily requested yet simple improvements such as using album art from the mp3 file for a song or adding playlists?

I might have said this before. Tesla keeps pointing to the limited resources they have every time they are asked questions about delays in software improvement features. So the limited resources are working on make buttons transparent? That is a priority over other heavily requested yet simple improvements such as using album art from the mp3 file for a song or adding playlists?
As a gamer, I see this argument come up on forum discussions all the time. It's not that simple, and you likely know it. But in case you don't...

There are different teams with different responsibilities and art assets and code arrive on different timelines, etc. Furthermore, risk and testing are different. It's quite unlikely that change to the art of a button is likely to affect, say, 12V battery charging issues whereas algorithm changes can easily do that -- even for "unrelated" changes.

Also, keep in mind that devs are people too. Sometimes "trivial" features arrive because a dev decided to pony up personal time to finally get some longstanding issue addressed or improved. Or it's a pet project of a VP (or Elon). Or... etc.

I'm frustrated at the time it takes certain things to arrive, but nitpicking (presumably good) but "lower priority" changes that arrive isn't a good plan. It's not a zero sum game... often.

Last edited:

And, in addition to Brianman's accurate comments, we may not know all of the factors and options in play. What if Tesla has decided to do the smart thing and use somebody else's media player (say, Google, with whom they already have a relationship) rather than reinventing the wheel? And, what if that change is coming in 6.0 which is currently in testing? Then it would make no sense to make further improvements to the crappy home-made media player... Of course if that is not the case, it SHOULD be!!!!!

I interviewed for Tesla's Release Engineering position a couple years ago. They were very senior engineers I interviewed with. I thought I had the job because the manager was really excited about me. All the folks I interviewed with seemed very positive too. But then it all went quiet for a week or so. Finally I was told they wouldn't offer me the job. Supposedly the senior exec who looked at the reviews of me by the others decided he didn't like me for whatever reason.
The bottom line is that it seemed they had an extremely high standards. And because of that they can't find many folks that meet those standards making quick changes difficult. Oh, and did I say they had very few folks in QA at that time?
For reference I just started a new job in a profitable startup that is pre-IPO. I will likely make more when they go public than I would have at Tesla.
Tesla still hasn't filled the release engineering position as of my last check a few months ago.

One thing that seems to have changed on 5.9 (109) is when you put the car in reverse the parking sensors and rear view camera are now overlays on top of whatever you had on the screen before going into reverse. Before that they replaced what you had on the screen. At first I didn't believe the change but I went back and looked at pictures. Next time you go into reverse look at the edges around the camera/parking sensor areas and you'll see its now an overlay. Pretty sure from my before/after pictures this is different. Not sure why they'd do that in a minor build update within a 5.9 version.