Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tested the regen braking on my road trip yesterday. The "standard" setting is more gradual, but the peak regen value of 60kW is the same, it just takes a little longer to get there when I suddenly release the accelerator pedal. The effect is more comfortable IMHO. The "low" setting seems to cap at a peak regen of 30kW (i.e., half of the standard peak value), and also takes a little more time to get to it's peak regen value. The accelerator response is noticeably smoother too.

I hope for 2 things:

1) liner notes on these releases that give us more details on what "minor" tweaks have been done - the ones that don't affect the UI or merit marketing attention! I remember back in the day, perhaps early 2013, they actually included "improved accelerator response" in release notes. That's the last time I recall documentation of a technical change with no UI evidence in the release notes. Since then, we are left guessing: "did they, didn't they?" My guess is they did not, but who knows, maybe they did?
2) more regen selection options. I'd personally like a "sport" mode with very aggressive regen. I'm talking ability to brake late into a corner using the regen. And ability to get to full stop with regen. I would enjoy that.

I downloaded V6 yesterday and so far cannot get the calendar function to work. I'm running V2 of the Tesla app which App Store says is most recent. I also have the calendar access enabled in the Tesla app.

Addresses are not needed. I had four events displayed this morning, none with addresses since I know where they are ;-)

I believe Bluetooth connection is required, just like for phone/contacts.

There is really no "background running" of apps in iOS, just very limited actions such as audio playing and finishing downloads. The notification system is independent of that. It definitely works with home screen or another app in foreground.

It may be necessary to run the Tesla iOS app once after reboot to initialize the calendar access.

Calendar display in Tesla center screen app settings must be on for morning or something else, not off.

Calendar app works great for directions, I just wish it had conference/phone call ability from the entry. Thought I could click on a calendar entry and it dial that number but that feature isn't yet available, most likely as its beta. Once that feature is available it will be great, as I take many calls in my car.

2) more regen selection options. I'd personally like a "sport" mode with very aggressive regen. I'm talking ability to brake late into a corner using the regen. And ability to get to full stop with regen. I would enjoy that.
That would be cool actually, and a logical accompaniment to "sport" mode steering. As the regen effectively operates on the rear wheels only, aggressive braking without involving the front wheels should be pretty stable.

I've noticed that even with standard regen, the car will almost come to a complete stop without me touching the brake pedal, as long as I release the accelerator early enough. It's not sufficient for "sport" mode cornering though.

I haven't experimented in any detail but I doubt any calendar data is being shared over bluetooth.

On your phone you authorise the Tesla app to read your calendar. It does this, and pushes your calendar to Tesla's servers. The car then downloads the calendar from there.

The bit that requires bluetooth is deciding which calendar to show - since my wife and I both have the app, and have both chosen to sync our calendars, the car needs to know whether to show mine or hers at any given time.

And it does this by noticing whether my phone or her phone is currently connected to it by bluetooth.

Not sure, but I still find it confusing when the car locks on "walk away" and when it does not.

Yes, it's confusing for sure.

Thinking back, I do recall seeing the doors unlocked on the app in the past and remember thinking it was just a glitch on the app. It's seldom we leave anything of value in the car so no big deal, but it would be nice to easily identify if it's locked or unlocked.

Regarding the new "lighter' regenerative braking - after two years driving a Chevy Volt with and without heavy regenerative braking one thing is certain; contrary to common belief, using a lot of regen will not extend range. OTOH coasting will extend range.

There's an excellent chance that reduced-regenerative braking will extend our range by 3% to 4%. Of course, this will not be true for everyone, but for the vast majority, more coasting will likely add additional real world miles.

Currently, our Volt gets around 35 miles of range with regen high, and 37ish miles with regen low.

Regarding the new "lighter' regenerative braking - after two years driving a Chevy Volt with and without heavy regenerative braking one thing is certain; contrary to common belief, using a lot of regen will not extend range. OTOH coasting will extend range.

There's an excellent chance that reduced-regenerative braking will extend our range by 3% to 4%. Of course, this will not be true for everyone, but for the vast majority, more coasting will likely add additional real world miles.

Currently, our Volt gets around 35 miles of range with regen high, and 37ish miles with regen low.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying here, or if it is only true of the Volt, but regen braking DOES extend range on my Model S. I travel infrequently down a 7% grade about 9 miles and I regen all the way down the hill. When I get to the bottom I have added 6 miles of range to what it was at the top of the hill. The extra 6 miles only shows up in 3 mile increments--perhaps as it increments by a kWh???

I slogged through almost 700 posts and haven't seen this mentioned - 6.0 does not have the map magnification setting anymore?! I prefer the small text because the map looks "cleaner." After updating to 6.0 this morning I can't find the setting.

It is gone in 6.0

well that's certainly one reason for me NOT to upgrade until they add that back. I can't stand the big text and prefer the small text. I'll hold off upgrading until Tesla fixes this bug and returns this setting. (hopefully it's another bug and that they didn't remove another feature from us.).

- - - Updated - - -

Just received the V6 version. I am very unhappy, they have changed the design of the speed and power meters, it is very ugly now !! Why change this kind of things which was just perfect !!?? Please just add new functionalities, or better, add what is missing in existing functions : search in phone contacts, ability to choose the shortest or fastest route on the GPS, choose if we want takes the highway or not (as any 100$ GPS !!). It will be a good starting point for new release....

yeah Tesla needs to learn that when they make a change like that, they should leave the old settings as an option in a menu. if you prefer the 'old look' you should be given the option to prefer that UI over the new one.

I wish Tesla would add the function of limiting the amount of detail on the Navigation System. I want them to give us the option if we want more or less detail. If I'm taking a long distance trip I don't need to know every little detail about the area I'm in. This will also allow faster rendering.

Also with Ver. 6 - it seems my car (P85) is FASTER like my very first day of ownership......extremely quick.

- - - Updated - - -

OK!

My two year anniversary for my MS is in a few days. I was just thinking about scheduling the annual service. I better call this morning and get a slot!

I called the other day to schedule my 24K Service and I have to wait over 30 days for an appt.

Took delivery in late May 2014, and I apparently have the Ionizer because it showed up with the v6.0 upgrade (was on 5.11 before which had no ionizer software function).

haha ghost ionizer. that'd be pretty funny if you don't actually have the Ionizer and they are just pretending to give you this feature. ionizers are about as useful as a chocolate teapot anyway. might as well just "pretend" to have the feature bc it's not like they do anything anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

exactly. that's what I've been saying whenever Tesla changes something like this. They should give us the option to choose which setting we prefer, harder or softer regen. they should not just make the change themselves and then force this down our throat as some ppl would prefer the harder regen. plus changing driving dynamics without telling anyone?? helloooo? that's dangerous IMO as we get used to one setting and then that's what we expect and then all of the sudden oops we bumped the guy in front of us because Tesla changed how regen works without telling anyone?!??!? lawsuit waiting to happen. i don't think tesla should be changing driving dynamics over the air without some major notifications and confirmations on the screen.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure I understand what you are saying here, or if it is only true of the Volt, but regen braking DOES extend range on my Model S. I travel infrequently down a 7% grade about 9 miles and I regen all the way down the hill. When I get to the bottom I have added 6 miles of range to what it was at the top of the hill. The extra 6 miles only shows up in 3 mile increments--perhaps as it increments by a kWh???

regen does not extend range as much as coasting would. when you're using regen not all the energy you lost to the friction of regen is gained back. if you could coast to a stop instead of using regen to come to a stop every time, less energy would be lost thus extending range. coasting > regen for extending range. in your scenario, coasting down a hill would actually increase speed so yes you'll have to regen to maintain speed which will also increase range, but again not as much as keeping the kW bar at 0 and letting speed go as high as possible and then coasting completely to a stop. the less friction the better. though i'm sure air drag becomes a factor at some speed where regen > coasting at high speed.

I can control the amount of regen I get, up to the maximum, using the accelerator. What I can't do is increase the amount of regen that's available. So, sometimes I have to brake. Having greater regen would increase my range by reducing my use of the brakes.

I can control the amount of regen I get, up to the maximum, using the accelerator. What I can't do is increase the amount of regen that's available. So, sometimes I have to brake. Having greater regen would increase my range by reducing my use of the brakes.

This.

Available regen is not the same as using regen at all times. It can be modulated up to it's maximum... lower that maximum and there's no way to take advantage of it when it would be advantageous.

Yes, it adds miles overall, but those are already accounted for in the rated range. It will not add miles to the range stated when you begin the day. If you start the day with 200 rated miles and do a lot of coasting, you can easily drive more than 200 miles. OTOH, If you start the day with 200 rated miles and do a lot of regen braking, you will drive right around 200 miles.

If you look at your rated miles in the morning, and set the trip counter to zero you will clearly see the difference. On the Volt, there is a screen showing how many miles have been driven since 'full charge' so this is easy to track, unfortunately it takes a little extra work to see this in the MS.

exactly. that's what I've been saying whenever Tesla changes something like this. They should give us the option to choose which setting we prefer, harder or softer regen. they should not just make the change themselves and then force this down our throat as some ppl would prefer the harder regen. plus changing driving dynamics without telling anyone?? helloooo? that's dangerous IMO as we get used to one setting and then that's what we expect and then all of the sudden oops we bumped the guy in front of us because Tesla changed how regen works without telling anyone?!??!? lawsuit waiting to happen. i don't think tesla should be changing driving dynamics over the air without some major notifications and confirmations on the screen.

just to be clear, before blasting tesla on this, we do not KNOW that 6.0 changed regen. Just a few pages ago this thread veered off into false alarm about turn signal detente. Some posters seem to think regen changed. Some, me among, do not. Correct that tesla should not significantly change driving characteristics without telling us. If, and I mean IF, 6.0 regen changed, it is imperceptible to many, and might be product of heightened sensitivity to others. I'm not allowed to say hallucinating anymore...:smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Ps, I remember how much better my ice cars used to drive after an oil change or tune up. Also how much tighter MS felt after 20 odd changes at annual service. Mfg should have some latitude to improve.

I can't tell any difference, but if there is a small difference I assume it would be to improve either range or longevity of parts. We signed up for continuous improvement when we bought the car. They wouldn't go to the trouble of changing it for no reason.

Yes, it adds miles overall, but those are already accounted for in the rated range. It will not add miles to the range stated when you begin the day. If you start the day with 200 rated miles and do a lot of coasting, you can easily drive more than 200 miles. OTOH, If you start the day with 200 rated miles and do a lot of regen braking, you will drive right around 200 miles.

If you look at your rated miles in the morning, and set the trip counter to zero you will clearly see the difference. On the Volt, there is a screen showing how many miles have been driven since 'full charge' so this is easy to track, unfortunately it takes a little extra work to see this in the MS.

Tesla shows miles and energy use since last charge on the trip meter view, no need to reset a trip counter.