Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so why not a black background and just data in white, with no decoration at all ? Can be better after all ? I bough the car with a specific display which was perfect to me. Now after the V6 release I found it ugly, as I found ios7 graphics ugly. I am unhappy because they changed something in the design without asking me anything. The new GPS colors are just ugly too, it's like a black and white screen.
At least when changing something like this they should provide a selectable skin.
What will you say if they decide to change the color of your car the next time you go to the service center ?

I think that's taking it to the extreme. Tesla are smart enough not to make a dramatic change, but tweaks to the UI are to be expected. Nobody expects their smart phone to look the same in 3 years as it does now, or any other digital UI for that matter. Fashions and trends change, and as long as Tesla stay reasonably conservative, which they will, then I think it's a good thing our cars dash can stay current without having to buy a whole new car. Obviously with any UI/UX change nobody can please all of the people all of the time, but is it really that much of a change to regard the prior version as perfect, and the new version as ugly?

I just had a Nissan Rogue dropped off by Tesla so they can fix my charging issue, I'm 100% sure that dash will look the same in 10yrs time.

Ok so why not a black background and just data in white, with no decoration at all ? Can be better after all ? I bough the car with a specific display which was perfect to me. Now after the V6 release I found it ugly, as I found ios7 graphics ugly. I am unhappy because they changed something in the design without asking me anything. The new GPS colors are just ugly too, it's like a black and white screen.
What will you say if they decide to change the color of your car the next time you go to the service center ?

Like I said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the look of iOS 7.

I'm sorry that Tesla did not personally consult with you before changing the look of the driver display screen. I suggest that you contact Tesla and express your displeasure. I'm sure they will listen.

As for Tesla changing the paint color of my car without my permission...I think that is highly unlikely and am not going to spend any time worrying about it.

But who knows, maybe Tesla is planning to include in the V7 release a new feature that no one has asked for "Repainting the car without owner's permission every time they leave it at a Service a Center". ;-)

Last edited:
How do you know the car isn't running a startup diagnostic on those systems and then removes the indicator when the particular system has passed the test or reports as ready? Not everything is necessarily the way it appears. There is most likely a very functional reason why those indicators light up and then disappear.

It's still a legacy of the past though. I don't believe it is really doing a check (if it is, then all systems reporting AOK at exactly the same time is impressive), older cars do this as a bulb check, not as a systems check. I get that it might be required by law, but I think for a modern car, with far more complex and critical systems that indicated by the legacy lights, a simple message saying 'All Systems Normal' would be more relevant, and still meet any weird legal requirements.

That is pretty much how it works.
As I recall, for the calendar to work your phone must be running the new Tesla app, and be connected by bluetooth.
Yeah, had all that working. Maybe the charge screen interfered with it as gpetti hypothesized.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the ionizer was activated by firmware 5.12. Judging from other threads i would say that the hardware for it was added late may or early june 2014. Mine got activated with 6.0. There is a separate thread about the ionizer somewhere around here...
Took delivery in late May 2014, and I apparently have the Ionizer because it showed up with the v6.0 upgrade (was on 5.11 before which had no ionizer software function).

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by bollar viewpost-right.png

It feels like the maps rollout has been suspended. The last map update confirmation I have seen was nine days ago (Friday, September 12).

I received 6.0 last Tuesday, but so far have not been notified of any map update.

As soon as I had V6.0 I called to see if I could stop by the SC to hop on their WiFi and have them push me the maps update (home WiFi doesn't reach the garage, and the notes say the maps will come via WiFi). They called back and said the the maps roll out had been suspended, with no time frame for resumption.

That's odd. I can't imagine how replacing map data could break anything. Assuming map data is all that the update was replacing, and assuming the roll out suspension is because it broke something. I know I know... too many assumptions. Makes me very curious nonetheless.

Not sure if this has been mention as part of 6.0 , but in 24 hours with my vampire still set in the energy saving mode I lost nothing. This is a first for me, usually lose at least 3 mile in 24 hours. Anyone else see this with 6.0

Seeing the opposite. Car woke up at 11 AM to charge the 12 V. Lost 3 miles so far and it's still awake after 3:30 hrs which is longer than usual. I'll probably need to do the long press reboot again.

That's odd. I can't imagine how replacing map data could break anything. Assuming map data is all that the update was replacing, and assuming the roll out suspension is because it broke something. I know I know... too many assumptions. Makes me very curious nonetheless.

Agree.

I can. Infinite loop in the data. String issues that poke some buffer bug. Open your mind a little to the dark side of bugs. :)

About the new graphics: the industry new is moving toward flat and simple designs. Not having shadows or 3D illustrations saves resources and makes producing these graphics faster. Flat designs are similar to what you see now in iOS, the up coming Mac OS Yosemite; and the up coming. Android L.

That's what the industry is moving towards. Makes things look like a little kid's Speak and Spell. I guess it's part of the dumbing down of America that corporations seem to want.

That's what the industry is moving towards. Makes things look like a little kid's Speak and Spell. I guess it's part of the dumbing down of America that corporations seem to want.
Supposedly, a lot has to do with improving the experience on smaller mobile screens. All the "pretty" stuff loses it's value on a 6 inch screen and becomes visual noise.

Not saying I'm a fan, but I don't think "dumbing down of America" has anything to do with it. I think it's actually the opposite, based on work put into studies of readability and usability for the type of devices that are becoming the dominate users in the market.

Completely agree. I still basically like the iPhone, but iOS 7 is willfully butt-ugly and insulting. It's especially criminal what they did to the timer app. It was so elegant before. Reminder:

ios6v7.jpg

A cleaner look is good, but I do kinda miss the bit of bling around the speedometer. But I'm sure in Version xx they'll offer a choice of a few different styles just to keep more people happy.

I do appreciate that it's easier to finesse the brakes and come to a smoother stop now. And the hill hold seems to release a little more quickly and/or smoothly. Nice!

Actually, it's suppose to be that way. It's suppose to represent a 3D rolling selector. Notice that the low and upper numbers move to the center as you get further away from the center? Also, the person viewing this is a bit left from center and the 3 appears to the right.
I get what you're saying, but it doesn't come across that way to me. It just looks like failure.