Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's pretty meaningless without a time frame; that could be a block of 2,000 cars every day or every week or every 12 hrs.

I agree he didn't give me all the details. He could have said "it is being transmitted to every car, everyone's gong to get it at the same time" or some other situation.

2,000 cars at a time is more or less exactly how I expected their roll-outs to be. They are looking for problems to surface. If there is some problem that they didn't spot in their own testing, and it shows up in a lot of the first 2,000 cars, well, at the other 48,000 cars don't suffer from it until they have fixed it. And they probably start with California cars to make sure they can go visit and see what the problems are, if they need to.

"over the next few weeks" will go fast if there are no bugs cropping up.

I got a loaner car today, since mine is in the shop. It already has the patch ready to install, I'm going to get it started now.

For those without the tech package, I would like Tesla to offer an upgrade to obtain the software aspects of the tech package (nav, door handles?). Given this update is primarily nav-oriented.

Supercharging is $2000 if ordered at time of purchase, or $2500 if ordered later - so $500 premium for a software only update.
Dual Chargers are $1500 if ordered at time of purchase, or $3600 if ordered later - so $2100 premium for hardware updates.

The Tech Package is $3,750 at time of ordering the vehicle. How much would you expect or be willing to pay to enable the Tech Package after delivery? Keep in mind that Tesla will never offer a price lower than $3,750 as then it would become advantageous to order it after the vehicle is delivered. The price must be $3750 or more EVEN IF you only want a subset of the features. The Tech Package is explicitly designed to be a bundle and offering a discounted "software only" package/upgrade would destroy the business model.

Would you pay $4250 ($3750 + $500 software upgrade charge) for just the software updates (onboard maps and navigation, keyless entry)?
Would you pay $5850 ($3750 + $2100 hardware upgrade charge) for the full tech package (maps and nav, DRL, power liftgate, etc.)?

If offered at these prices, I suspect uptake would be very low indeed, which is probably why Tesla doesn't offer it.

2,000 cars at a time is more or less exactly how I expected their roll-outs to be. They are looking for problems to surface. If there is some problem that they didn't spot in their own testing, and it shows up in a lot of the first 2,000 cars, well, at the other 48,000 cars don't suffer from it until they have fixed it. And they probably start with California cars to make sure they can go visit and see what the problems are, if they need to.

"

My thoughts exactly.

On a different tangent, I prefer the current/older pseudo bezel speedo to the new flat one. I wish it was an option. I don't have V6 yet but doubt that it is an option. Yeah, I know, with all the software aware owners here we all want more options and customization.

My thoughts exactly.

On a different tangent, I prefer the current/older pseudo bezel speedo to the new flat one. I wish it was an option. I don't have V6 yet but doubt that it is an option. Yeah, I know, with all the software aware owners here we all want more options and customization.

Perhaps in the future you'll get to skin your own. :)

As a non-commuting, non-air-suspension MS owner, I'm underwhelmed with 6.0 and find no urgency to install it. The improved nav is nice, but nothing monumental. The geo air thing is nice if you got it I guess. The calendar means nothing to me and I don't plan on using it. But I understand others may be delighted with it; that's cool.

I'm still hoping Tesla will spend some time providing for basic music device functionality (playlists, browse by artist/song/genre/album, shuffle mode, etc) that so many cheaper cars already provide. I miss the functionality I had in my Audi Q5.
while I understand your comments about the calendar app, what I find really excellent is that any addresses in my phone calendar are live links on the car screen. So if my diary is up to date, just touch the address on screen to navigate there. No need to type anything which is a time and accuracy benefit.

So I just got my car back from Fremont after the air bag/seat fix and it had 6.0. Something I haven't seen commented on, but TuneIn now syncs your saved stations from the app/website with Favorites in the car. This was not the same before, Tesla favorites didn't sync with app favorites.

^^^ I agree that's a likely, and sensible, roll-out scenario but I also guess that a lot of us are also going to to start trying yet again to figure out Tesla's unfathomable roll-out algorithm.

LOL. Well now that you mention it, their algorithm ought to place a priority for those of us still on 5.12 (.22) - AKA the one riddled with bugs. I've had a few blank center consoles, problems sleeping, issues with door handles, etc. 6.0 would be a welcome relief.

So this is a "minor" graphical improvement where the layers have been reversed and one tweaked in boldness?
The way it's described it sounded more like "for the first time were showing traffic".
well, it's the first time they are actually showing traffic on a route. That has been a major complaint of a number of us. Especially because with pre-6.0, there was no traffic based nav.

I just was upgraded to 5.12 last week, and was shocked to find another update this morning ready to install. Download was on WiFi.

I was even more shocked to find it was 6.0 once it finished.

Very pleased with the new look so far. No glitches found yet either.

I also went form 5.9 to 6.0

+1. v65.11 showed up this am. i like. i like the new instrument panel look, seems easier to suss out, only seen at night so far tho.. and location aware suspension is... the bomb. excellent.

would like some attention paid to the music apps and interfaces.. my podcasts still erroneously skip to the end... it'll be a grand day when that stops happening. but liking v6 so far.

You're going to get it when it's your turn (whenever that is).

Earlier documentation said that WiFi connected cars would have priority, but that hasn't proven to be the case so far.

I think the priority preference was for Nav map updates required wifi.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone else find it odd that Version 5.14 is v1.66.13 but Version 6.0 is lower - v1.65.11?

No.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I am able to open the liftgate from the button over the license plate ONLY if I have the fob. So it does know I have the fob when I'm at the back of the car. So why doesn't it allow the charge port to unlock. Every day I do a dance as I go to the car from the back. Walk up to the rear door, wait a second or two until the door handles present, then step back to unplug the charger, coil up the cord and finally go to the front door, open it and get in. Possibly the fob appears to be too far from the car when I'm at the back of it.

Oh My Gosh. That's Terrible. The Horror of it All. You are right. We should not be forced to take two extra steps. :wink: