Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I, too, find this mildly infuriating.

just stupid, whoever thinks that instant is a better default setting should have been fired...really. (and if you like instant better, sorry can't help you...fired)
how do you miss that?
sorry ot but firmware updates should at least have some feature fixes that were screwed up in the first place rather than adding new features that also need to be fixed

all, sorry about my ranting :p (close to 2 years of asking for this one tiny change, sent a request after pretty much every firmware..I think 1/2 the people on this forum could change that in < 1 minute)

Last edited:
I'm severely disappointed with this update. What a crock of crap.

There are so many great features that could have been implemented.

Ability to tune light level of the auto-headlights (I'm CONSTANTLY battling my headlights)
Force headlights to stay off on start-up
Set charge start based on departure time (I wrote a script using the REST API for this)
Set charge rate via phone
Set charge scheduled start via phone
Valet mode?
Tow mode usage sucks, how about car wash mode for the simple guys at car washes?
"Advanced instrumentation"? Ability to see more information about the car.. IE, more gauges for us geeks..
Turn off reminders for things like Range Mode.
Custom quick settings page for things you use most

I can go on and on.

Come on Tesla. This sucks.

With the exception of Valet Mode, if they had implemented your list, I would have considered it a rather underwhelming set of features.

Which goes to prove nothing but the fact that you can't please everybody.

That having been said, traffic-based routing, geo-aware suspension, and phone based start seem pretty significant to me. More so than the option to turn off some alerts...

Easy people! It's really impossible to satisfy everyone!

+1

As my 19 year old say - please chill.

Certain things were pushed due to safety (from what I was told last night when my rep called me).

For example ... Some of the earlier models were having air suspension issues ... the car would settle when parked after ride height was set to avoid concrete chocks. you back off, and damage the underside of the car.

So, this is something you all might not see, but the earlier models (those of us who have been driving it for two years) are thankful for ... for safety issues.

Don't get me wrong ...I'd like all the things people mentioned, plus my mlb.com app etc. etc.

But I probably would be just as miffed as y'all if the air suspension safety system wasn't addressed but being able to make your car wink from your iphone while in Indonesia was activated.

$0.02

Traffic based nav is a nice add.. perhaps I shouldn't be so disappointed. But adjusting car settings is an easy tweak because we already have geo-referenced based homelink. just add the geo-location trigger to suspension and bam, you have suspension adjustment. nothing groundbreaking.

Otherwise I just see a bunch of tweaks and branding of V6.0 to make people happy.

Agreed, The energy usage graphs should show average by default, or, how about REMEMBERING WHICH YOU USED LAST!?

Or setting the range displayed in the center of the car to use the 5,15 or 30 mile number as chosen by the user?

So much room to implement simple and improvements that would bring the thing to the next level. or just the level of most other luxury cars.

I'm also still on the buggy hot-mess that is 5.12... Why no love for the early VINs?

That said, I'm really excited for the commute assist. Driving in and out of Manhattan each day means numerous options. Not having the fire up Waze and deal with that annoying little noise will be a moment of glory for me.

I agree that the energy default change seems like a no-brainer (it is one of the very few major misses! The worst, in my mind, is the location of the windshield fluid well behind a strut!), but like others, I've had the car long enough I'm just used to the cycle. I know it will all get done eventually, and also know my priorities aren't universal.

Valet mode, however, needs to happen. I had my car taken for a joyride by a valet back when it was brand new and that still sits poorly with me. When all was said and done I didn't press charges or make a major issue with the place, but the guy admitted he wanted to try the acceleration and cornering. He could have killed someone or himself. Valet mode is a common sense safety thing which I believe was in the Roadster, so why not on the Model S?

Last edited:
Just so I understand, you must have auto lock enabled so the car, even though it is in a locked garage, auto locks when you exit. I don't auto lock so this is not an issue for me.

And then, when you go to the car in the morning, you don't want to use the fob by pressing it to unlock the car as you enter the garage (which you wouldn't need to do if the fob was detected at the charging port).
Correct, I always use autolock, it would be more of a hassle to turn it off the one time a day I park in the locked garage than the other 10 times per day when I'm out and about and not parking in a locked garage.
Correct again, I often have my hot tea in one hand and a brief case over my other shoulder. And just as I don't "want to" use the fob every time I enter or exit the car or open the hatch I also don't "want to" have to walk 5 feet extra then return to detach. As said, this is not a major thing, but a minor convenience improvement that would improve satisfaction for some of us.

- - - Updated - - -

just stupid, whoever thinks that instant is a better default setting should have been fired...really. (and if you like instant better, sorry can't help you...fired)
how do you miss that?
sorry ot but firmware updates should at least have some feature fixes that were screwed up in the first place rather than adding new features that also need to be fixed

all, sorry about my ranting :p (close to 2 years of asking for this one tiny change, sent a request after pretty much every firmware..I think 1/2 the people on this forum could change that in < 1 minute)
I wouldn't got that far, but there's no reason it can't at least save the user's previous setting. That way if you're a person who likes it on 30 mile average it will be there every time, if you like 5 mile instantaneous, it'll stay there. IIRC, the mile range stays the same (5-15-30) as you left it between start ups, why not the Instant/Average too.

This is the first major software upgrade release in my TMC experience. Is it me or the response is really subdued? I was expecting a bigger explosion of comments.

Is it because most of us are still waiting, or is it that most of us are just happy and satisfied?

I have to say - even though I was disappointed with the beta version leak features, I am pretty happy with the stuff added this time. My guess is that they mostly focused on navigation related stuff this time around, and will probably focus on media player related stuff in the next round.

Anyway, anxiously waiting for that update-ready sign on my screen.