Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh My Gosh. That's Terrible. The Horror of it All. You are right. We should not be forced to take two extra steps. :wink:

I know you're being sarcastic, but it really is silly. I can walk up to the car and it unlocks itself. I can walk up to the liftgate, press the button, and it opens. I never take the fob out of my pocket for these two things. But for removing the charger, I have to either look like I forgot about the charger every time (walk to the driver door and then back to the charger port, as the rear left of the car is the closest part of the car when I walk into the garage from the house...I park this way for a reason), or reach into my pocket to unlock it, negating the feature of the car unlocking itself that we all paid extra for. It's not that the problem is the end of the world. It's that the problem is so stupid that it shouldn't be there in the first place. How has this been overlooked for so long?

It's also not a huge effort to get up to change the TV channel, but do you do that anymore?

I know you're being sarcastic, but it really is silly. I can walk up to the car and it unlocks itself. I can walk up to the liftgate, press the button, and it opens. I never take the fob out of my pocket for these two things. But for removing the charger, I have to either look like I forgot about the charger every time (walk to the driver door and then back to the charger port, as the rear left of the car is the closest part of the car when I walk into the garage from the house...I park this way for a reason), or reach into my pocket to unlock it, negating the feature of the car unlocking itself that we all paid extra for. It's not that the problem is the end of the world. It's that the problem is so stupid that it shouldn't be there in the first place. How has this been overlooked for so long?

It's also not a huge effort to get up to change the TV channel, but do you do that anymore?

I agree, some finetuning in this unlock cable process might make the care much more usable!

Well, check back here later. I am going to do a little test this weekend. I am going to remove my right hand side fob antenna and tap into the wires to the antenna on the left side, run an 8 foot or so pair back to the charge port door and see if it helps me walk up and unplug without doing the Tesla-Two-Step. I'll let you know how it goes. If this works, I will run a pair of wires along the door sill to the back, over the wheel well and velcro it to the inside of the trunk at the charge port door. We will see if this works. I seldom get into my car to drive it from the right hand side, so I am not so sure I really need a fob antenna on the right side of the dash. I'm just saying.

Change the TV Channel? Nope got two TVs. One is on SEC Channel the other on NASTYCAR

Exactly right. I back my car into the garage to charge and have the same issue. It's easy to mock as a first-world problem, but I guarantee you, if there were a firmware update that caused a 3-second delay in everyone's door handles presenting, TMC would catch fire and explode from all the whining. And rightly so, actually, because a 3-second delay would be really annoying. That would make it slower than getting out physical keys, which rather defeats the whole point of keyless access.

The thing that makes MS cool is that it all just works, without effort or thought or fiddling or delay. Any disturbance in the force shatters the illusion, and yes, it's irritating when you have to do this stupid little dance every single morning. If v6 fixes this, that alone will be worth the price of admission.

So I just got my car back from Fremont after the air bag/seat fix and it had 6.0. Something I haven't seen commented on, but TuneIn now syncs your saved stations from the app/website with Favorites in the car. This was not the same before, Tesla favorites didn't sync with app favorites.

Hopefully there will be other surprises like this one.

----

Many here have suggested that the NAV improvements required significant programming work that probably took a lot of time to perfect, which I don't doubt -- location aware suspension may have been similar. In any event, I wonder if the programming team is now freed-up to start tackling some of the media elements that so many people want and which we can only hope are easier to do. In other words, maybe the next couple of updates will come faster.

Last edited:
After installing the 6.0 yesterday am, on my drive home from work, I felt that the some changes were made to the GO pedal mapping. The change is not huge, but clearly noticeable for me. I would describe it as sharper, more precise and refined response. I initially dismissed this as a placebo effect - I was quite excited about being in the first batch of the 6.0 install - but the impression continues to persist today as well.

Another indication that some changes were made is pedal response at very slow speeds. I have driveway that is running up, and a very tight fit in the garage, so I am inching up very gingerly. The usual "rubbery" response under these circumstances is gone. The accelerator response is very precise and allows for a relaxed and precise control.

I am wondering if there could be any discernible difference in 0 to 60 time. I am planning to test it with my Beltronics accelerometer in coming days.
Stay tuned.

Let you start feeling like the whipping boy here, I totally agree with you. I wish there was a sensor, similar to the one for the hatch, that allowed you to unlock the charger cable once you pressed the button. I have the same issue and while it's not a huge problem, as others have pointed out, it is an annoyance. Sometimes I walk out with my kids following me to the car. If I walk to the front door to allow it to unlock, the kids follow, then I have to back them back up, get the charge cable out, then go forward again, the whole time they stand staring. I can't imaging wiring in another sensor just like the one on the trunk/hatch could be all that complicated or expensive. It is, in no way, a deal breaker, but for a vehicle that has otherwise done such a great job of optimizing convenience this is one area that could be improved.

I wish there was a sensor, similar to the one for the hatch, that allowed you to unlock the charger cable once you pressed the button. I have the same issue and while it's not a huge problem, as others have pointed out, it is an annoyance. Sometimes I walk out with my kids following me to the car. If I walk to the front door to allow it to unlock, the kids follow, then I have to back them back up, get the charge cable out, then go forward again, the whole time they stand staring. I can't imaging wiring in another sensor just like the one on the trunk/hatch could be all that complicated or expensive. It is, in no way, a deal breaker, but for a vehicle that has otherwise done such a great job of optimizing convenience this is one area that could be improved.

Just so I understand, you must have auto lock enabled so the car, even though it is in a locked garage, auto locks when you exit. I don't auto lock so this is not an issue for me.

And then, when you go to the car in the morning, you don't want to use the fob by pressing it to unlock the car as you enter the garage (which you wouldn't need to do if the fob was detected at the charging port).

Supercharging is $2000 if ordered at time of purchase, or $2500 if ordered later - so $500 premium for a software only update.
Dual Chargers are $1500 if ordered at time of purchase, or $3600 if ordered later - so $2100 premium for hardware updates.

The Tech Package is $3,750 at time of ordering the vehicle. How much would you expect or be willing to pay to enable the Tech Package after delivery? Keep in mind that Tesla will never offer a price lower than $3,750 as then it would become advantageous to order it after the vehicle is delivered. The price must be $3750 or more EVEN IF you only want a subset of the features. The Tech Package is explicitly designed to be a bundle and offering a discounted "software only" package/upgrade would destroy the business model.

Would you pay $4250 ($3750 + $500 software upgrade charge) for just the software updates (onboard maps and navigation, keyless entry)?
Would you pay $5850 ($3750 + $2100 hardware upgrade charge) for the full tech package (maps and nav, DRL, power liftgate, etc.)?

If offered at these prices, I suspect uptake would be very low indeed, which is probably why Tesla doesn't offer it.

Actually, you can get anything if you bug them enough. For example, they don't "offer" upgrades for parking sensors yet if you ask them they will tell you $6K (or is it $6.5?). Though as the company grows, this sort of thing may go away.

For those without the tech package, I would like Tesla to offer an upgrade to obtain the software aspects of the tech package (nav, door handles?). Given this update is primarily nav-oriented.

Tesla already allows non-tech package owner to upgrade to the nav software. IIRC it's $1000 to get the nav by itself.

I don't have the tech package and I have odd behavior with my non-driver side door handles. I hope 6.0 fixes this. In my current 5.12 software and several versions before I have to tap the non-driver side handles a few times before they actually extend.

I'm severely disappointed with this update. What a crock of crap.

There are so many great features that could have been implemented.

Ability to tune light level of the auto-headlights (I'm CONSTANTLY battling my headlights)
Force headlights to stay off on start-up
Set charge start based on departure time (I wrote a script using the REST API for this)
Set charge rate via phone
Set charge scheduled start via phone
Valet mode?
Tow mode usage sucks, how about car wash mode for the simple guys at car washes?
"Advanced instrumentation"? Ability to see more information about the car.. IE, more gauges for us geeks..
Turn off reminders for things like Range Mode.
Custom quick settings page for things you use most

I can go on and on.

Come on Tesla. This sucks.