Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is so difficult about touching the traffic light icon to the right of that unreadable map to make the traffic lines go away? Then, when you're done, touch the icon again and the traffic lines are restored.

The point is that I do want to see the traffic, and with that much on the screen it's hard to separate out the freeways from surface streets to plan the best route, especially with a quick glance. The picture I posted covers perhaps 1000 square miles, and at those distances, one isn't taking side streets.

The point is that I do want to see the traffic, and with that much on the screen it's hard to separate out the freeways from surface streets to plan the best route, especially with a quick glance. The picture I posted covers perhaps 1000 square miles, and at those distances, one isn't taking side streets.

^This. I tried to say it before, but apparently that was lost on some:

Well, that's kind of the point is that we want to see the traffic especially here in So Cal.

Help! 6.0 working fine for me except my car seems to need a sleep aid. On 5.12, with display setting for energy saving mode set to ON, I was losing perhaps 2 miles overnight. On 6.0, same setting and "always connected" OFF, I'm losing exactly 6 miles per overnight, as well as a big chunk just about every time I park the car for over an hour. The dash (above the steering wheel) does appear to sleep. It goes through the "waking up systems" cycle when I get in car in AM or after parking. The 17" screen seems to always be awake instantaneously upon entering car. I've tried numerous reboots, including the fabled "long" reboot. Does this foot with what others are experiencing? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot or fix? Maybe there's just more drain during sleep on 6.0!?!?!?!?

From what I can remember, there were a lot of complaints about the traffic lines in 5.X and everyone wanted them thinner and more visible. That's what we got, now people don't like that. Also, the traffic lines on the 17" screen are the same as they have been since 5.12.

I thought 5.9 was perfect as far as traffic lines were concerned. I could just glance at the screen and see them. With 6.0, they are so thin they might as well not be there. This is a big fail in my opinion.

I have noted two "bugs" I'm attributing to the v6 firmware (for now):

1. When NAV in full screen the map spuriously zooms in periodically - once every 10-30 seconds or so - eventually becoming fully zoomed in. Rebooting does not change the behavior.

When you're zoomed too far in, the map on the center screen zooms you out a little when you start going too fast for that zoom level. Not sure if it just because there is too much data refresh for that combination of zoom and speed, but I like the map to change zoom levels with speed and would prefer it to be a little more aggressive. Certainly won't call it a bug, and I'm not even sure it's new.

I was on 5.12 before and was clearly able to glance down and see freeway traffic. Now I have to parse out surface streets, which is definitely new in 6.0. The size of the traffic lines is not the issue. It's the colossal mess that becomes of LA when surface streets are overlaid with freeway traffic.

I wonder if there are some similar screenshots from 5.9 around to allow some comparison.

My complaint with 5.x was that the blue navigation line on the Google Maps obscured the traffic colouring.

I haven't used the nav much with 6.0 but the one time I did, I found the lines on the Google Maps view to be pretty puzzling too. It almost seemed to be trying to report individual lanes on what was a multilane highway. Which would be great when dealing with HOV lanes, or long turning lanes.

I do appreciate the use of smaller lines in the Navigon dash view. It's shows more detail now.

I'm surprised no map renderer uses a breadth-first search type algorithm to only colour roads using the most likely direction of travel. I rarely care about traffic coming the other direction

Daytime the lines are bareble, but the nighttime map is just impossible to read the traffic now... I have to stay to an area of importance and zoom in and trying to do that while driving in moderate to heavy traffic is not pleasant.

Nighttime maps are just terrible...

I'd have to concur with this - even in the daylight I have to do a squint to see a traffic jam the way they are currently rendered, even without a nav route in place. At night, well, just as said above.

My #1 firmware wish: to be able to roll-back firmware updates.

My complaint with 5.x was that the blue navigation line on the Google Maps obscured the traffic colouring.
Same. A conceptually simple fix for that would have been to drop the opacity of the blue line to 50% and leaving it alone otherwise.

What I used to do was temporarily cancel the navigation so that I could check traffic periodically. Quite suboptimal but it worked for seeing the traffic info.

One thing I've been noticing ever since 6.0: same roads, same driving as before, nothing new at all, and yet what used to be 320-370Wh/mi average, is now 370-600Wh/mi. And while I had a S85 loaner today running 6.0, I noticed it too, over the same local roads, was running high energy, always over 400Wh/mi. For both cars, Range mode is active.

So.... is 6.0 using more energy to do the same job compared to pre 6.0?

Same. A conceptually simple fix for that would have been to drop the opacity of the blue line to 50% and leaving it alone otherwise.

What I used to do was temporarily cancel the navigation so that I could check traffic periodically. Quite suboptimal but it worked for seeing the traffic info.

Yeah, I think all they had to do was make the blue line draw below the traffic and I think everything would have been dandy... They fixed things that weren't broken. Who was complaining about the width of the traffic lines and who thought the nightaps coloring was unreadable to the point where they changed all the colors and THEN thought it looked good that way?

This is why I wish I was in a beta program because I would test the crap out of everything and quickly tell them my thoughts in an honest and constructive way. It is just frustrating to see something like this make it live because I just don't understand why someone didn't point out the night maps as being practically unreadable...

Note that I wouldn't trade out 6.0 for something else even of given the option because I love the traffic based routing!

- - - Updated - - -

Simple answer, no. I have been getting similar to slightly less usage on my commute which I mostly attribute the drop in usage to not running the AC since it is starting to get cooler.

I would ask yourself if anything environmental has changed in your area or if you have changed your driving habits since how you press the pedal, how quick you accelerate/decelerate, and just all around driving changes your energy usage dramatically.

Why hast thou forsaken me, O great and powerful Tesla software update server? Have I not moste patiently waited for thee? Have I not sung thy praises? Have I not performed the ritual of "Wye Fie" to better hear thy melodious voice? Please bestow upon your most faithful servant the 6.0 goodeness you have seen fit to provideth to thy fellow believers.

Praise be to Elon.

;-)

Last edited:
i'm really loving v6 (all dot versions :) ) and especially location-triggered suspension activation, been waiting for that for a while and it works like a charm. have to say, i'm very pleased with how accurate the geo-triggered functions on the model s are, very reliable to a couple yards (meters) i find.. nice.

on this point, i've been wanting a small, graphical suspension position indicator on the dash or center display for a while, and now that auto-suspension is happening i find i really want it; could really use an indicator of what the system is doing and where it currently sits as i'm driving, and constantly checking the controls page is getting old -- it used to be tolerable as i had to press the button to raise it anyway, but now that it's automatic, checking the page just for position confirmation is burdensome.

others feel the same? i'm emailing ownership with this comment/suggestion, please do as well if you agree. thanks.

this is a great idea!! Surprised it didn't get more replies! Will email ownership.

One thing I've been noticing ever since 6.0: same roads, same driving as before, nothing new at all, and yet what used to be 320-370Wh/mi average, is now 370-600Wh/mi. And while I had a S85 loaner today running 6.0, I noticed it too, over the same local roads, was running high energy, always over 400Wh/mi. For both cars, Range mode is active.

Climate change. No, not that kind of climate change.

I don't know if you're being snarky or what, but it's not a useful answer and I've about had it with this 6.0 thread in terms of getting useful information out of it. And you're some famous moderator too. I give up.
It was not a snarky answer. And I'm not a moderator.

My point was that I think what you're seeing is just that the climate is changing as the season turns from warm to cold, which consumes more energy to keep the battery in the happy range.