Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rambler_American_1st-generation_black_sedan.jpg

Received ver 2.2.113 over home wifi during the night and installed this morning at the office . Only took 2 weeks this time instead of the 7 week wait I had for 6.0. Looking forward to trying out the new features this afternoon, even though my car is too "classic" to have parking sensors or any of the speed or lane control features.

still happy to still be getting updates!

guidelines not middle of tire instead inside of tire

I think the lines work very well but then i thought i would test a little as i luckily parked across a line. Pictures below

backup camera red line is the line what i am comparing to here the line shows that its in side the red line
IMG_20150123_084946.jpg

Here it shows the tires are on the red line. This shows that the lines are not even showing the middle of the tire. Its more like the inside of the tire. So these are just guide lines can not be relied on 100%
IMG_20150123_085041.jpg

Thanks for posting these pictures... that is absolutely clear. I know in this day and age of driver assist technology, some people may want to navigate clearance by the guide lines... personally, I always make final decision using vision, and stay away from tight spots where I can't clearly perceive trajectory. Nonetheless, I find the guide lines a great help as an aid... with a protoplasm eyeball backup!

I would say from experience that factory or service calibrated backup lines from other manufacturers have been much more accurate than that. You can trust the car not to hit objects if the lines steer clear of them, that is the idea. Audi for example even has a secondary mode helping you to parallel park without hitting the curb. That really wouldn't work if you can't trust the lines.

I wonder if Tesla does calibrate new (or even some existing already) backup cameras at factory.

Well, I agree that they could be improved to provide more information as other vendors have done but I agree that they're currently very helpful. My dad's driveway is crazy and the lines helped me navigate it with ease. Having said that I do hope Tesla continues to improve the backup information and I also like the idea of having a toggle option to turn the lines (and other future info) on and off.

They could easily allow users to calibrate. Simply park on a line, go into cal mode, and drag the line with your finger. Repeat for the other side. This sets an offset for each line to guide to.

Perhaps they only want service to do this for liability reasons, but either way it should technically be fairly straightforward to add. Perhaps in 6.2.

Even easier, just park. Lay down a chalk line or other straight ground marker from front tire toward rear, extending further behind the car--then adjust.

This would allow the user to indicate whether they want the lines to show the outside of the tire, inside of the tire, or outside of the side mirrors! Also allows the driver to set this precisely for their car and avoid a visit to the service center.

Has anyone else with a classic Model S noticed a big jump in rated range after the 6.1 update? I searched for this on the forum but only found threads relating to the P85D. Before the update, a 90% charge would get me about 225 rated miles. Since the update, a 90% charge gets me something like 238 rated miles. I'm not sure if I really have increased range or if it's just guessing based on my usually fairly conservative driving - most of the time I drive for maximum range over performance. It doesn't seem like driving history should affect rated range though. (I received the 6.1 update Friday night, 1/16.)

My rated range remains unchanged after updating to 6.1 at 229 miles @ 90% SOC.

My rated range remains unchanged after updating to 6.1 at 229 miles @ 90% SOC.

6.1 installed last night. My usual 90% charge used to be 222 (28 months old, 62,000 mi). Easy to remember. This morning it was 236. After taking a little 100 miles drive, my range seems to be unaffected, so it might actually be more.

I wonder what my degradation really is. 222 would be about 7 or 8 percent. 236 would be about 2 percent. In over 2 years. Pretty good, if true.