Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a whole pot of software only features. There is an entire thread devoted to that -> Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

Just because people want features doesn't mean Tesla will actually implement them.

There are almost limitless innovated and new ideas that Tesla could implement in software for all cars on the road. Just because there's one new iteration of hardware (sensors and auto-pilot) doesn't mean the end to updates for 50,000+ cars currently on the road without these sensors. It would be a PR disaster if Tesla promised constant updates to our cars last year, and gives up on it this year.

Never said I believed they would end all updates for us just pointing out one reason why our older cars wouldn't see many new features. Tesla is currently focusing on the autopilot stuff and I expect that the majority of updates that have new features will be targeted at them.

Just because people want features doesn't mean Tesla will actually implement them.

Never said I believed they would end all updates for us just pointing out one reason why our older cars wouldn't see many new features. Tesla is currently focusing on the autopilot stuff and I expect that the majority of updates that have new features will be targeted at them.

Of course, but all I was offering was that the field of software only potential features is very rich.

Yes, I think you can argue that Tesla is focusing on the AP software now because (a) it's brand new, and (b) it needs real world use to get the bugs worked out.

But keeping that in mind, if you look at the last firmware update, most of the new features are available for all cars:

• Trip Energy Prediction
  • Energy Option for Battery Display
  • Smart Preconditioning
  • New Nav View: Route Overview
  • Reverse Camera guidelines
  • Calendar enhancements
  • Media App Improvements
  • Simplified Right Steering Wheel controls
  • Factory Reset
  • And of course "Additional Improvements".

But the features added for AP cars:

• TACC
  • Auto-High Beam
  • Forward Collision Warning
  • Enhanced Park Assist View

There's no reason to believe that Tesla is going to abandon development of features except for just for their newest technologies. Clearly they are still committed to making all their cars even more awesome than they are already.

The potential to continue software updates for all cars is only limited by people's imaginations.

There's no reason to believe that Tesla is going to abandon development of features except for just for their newest technologies. Clearly they are still committed to making all their cars even more awesome than they are already.

I'm not saying that is what they are going to do I'm just pointing out that they have limited bandwidth and that after this large update of features across all hardware configurations I expect that most of the next few updates will be focused on the cars with autopilot. I'd love to be wrong though, but I'm fully prepared to only get "Additional Improvements" in the meantime (and of course the additional nav updates Elon promised ages ago).

The potential to continue software updates for all cars is only limited by people's imaginations.

Disagree, it is limited by Tesla's budget, resources and internal feature road map. But again so we don't belabor this point I don't think these will be the last set of new features we will ever see, it's just all about how I'm setting my expectations.

My observation: Tesla is committed to several "themes" in terms of the features they are focusing on:

* Driver assist - evolving to autonomous driving. Agree pre-sensor cars will get little if any of this.
* Car as personal assistant - understanding and integrating (maybe even interfering with) your schedule/life. e.g., commute routing, calendar integration, smart preconditioning... I can see all kinds of stuff here: integration via wifi with home automation, "smart" playlists for to work vs. from work commutes, highway vs. city driving. Offering to call your spouse as you depart work if it notices you do that most days. We'll get many of these.
* Energy management - I don't think we've seen the end of improvements and new features for trip planning, supercharger network integration, etc. We'll get most of these.

* I hope (tho no evidence to date) we see "openness" as another theme. Ability to support 3rd party apps... hopefully even embedding 3rd party apps such as a real media player. We should get most of these. Would be great if they extended to mobile eye, rydeen and the like so those who want can get some driver assist functions aftermarket.

Beyond this, of course, there are the various and sundry improvements that are bound to be made... more/better media player, valet mode, etc.

Even though I personally do not really desire driver assist or personal assistant functions, I do appreciate that Tesla appears to HAVE themes and a vision of how car will fit in your life, and appears to be working "out of the box" to implement... instead of having the best "me too" media player (ironically, even though I'd personally prefer that).

Disagree, it is limited by Tesla's budget, resources and internal feature road map. But again so we don't belabor this point I don't think these will be the last set of new features we will ever see, it's just all about how I'm setting my expectations.

Not what I meant.

* I hope (tho no evidence to date) we see "openness" as another theme. Ability to support 3rd party apps... hopefully even embedding 3rd party apps

This is what I meant. As soon as Tesla enables the ability or platform to support 3rd party apps or an SDK/API, the sky is the limit for the Tesla App Store.

Anyone getting app notifications of a software update? I'm out of town and haven't received any notification so am expecting to not have the pop up in the car when I get home.

I am wondering the same.. what is the rate of distribution for the update? It seemed for 6.0 tons of people had it all at once... this one seems to be trickling (or few are reporting they have it).....

-m

I don't think Tesla ever promised constant updates forever.

There are tons of things they COULD do, but from a practical point of view there are reasons for them not to do them. The first one has to do with software version control and branching for different hardware. The more the hardware diverges, the more difficult it is going to become for them to support all the cars. The D models represent the first major branch.

The second reason is that they want to sell new cars. Want the cool new feature set? Buy a new car.

There are almost limitless innovative and new ideas that Tesla could implement in software for all cars on the road. Just because there's one new iteration of hardware (sensors and auto-pilot) doesn't mean the end to updates for 50,000+ cars currently on the road without these sensors. It would be a PR disaster if Tesla promised constant updates to our cars last year, and gives up on it this year.

I don't think Tesla ever promised constant updates forever.

Elon has echoed that sentiment many times, that the Model S will constantly evolve, and you can wake up one day to a new car, updated automatically (I think his actual words were "where else can you...").

The second reason is that they want to sell new cars. Want the cool new feature set? Buy a new car.

Sure for new hardware features. I seriously doubt that Tesla would intentionally hold back any features that can run on older hardware just to sell more cars. They are not that kind of car company. I would bet money on that never happening. That's not the value proposition sold to Model S buyers since day one.

Yes, I think you can argue that Tesla is focusing on the AP software now because (a) it's brand new, and (b) it needs real world use to get the bugs worked out.

But keeping that in mind, if you look at the last firmware update, most of the new features are available for all cars:

• Trip Energy Prediction
  • Energy Option for Battery Display
  • Smart Preconditioning
  • New Nav View: Route Overview
  • Reverse Camera guidelines
  • Calendar enhancements
  • Media App Improvements
  • Simplified Right Steering Wheel controls
  • Factory Reset
  • And of course "Additional Improvements".

But the features added for AP cars:

• TACC
  • Auto-High Beam
  • Forward Collision Warning
  • Enhanced Park Assist View...
For those of us with parking sensors without AP, don't we also get the enhanced Park Assist View? If not, I believe someone mentioned that at least the front sensors stay on when in reverse.

As others have mentioned, great thread. I was an avid reader and occasional poster before delivery in Sept. 2014. Became disinterested with all the posts about things that I missed on having by a week or so. Not a big deal to me as my S85 is still heads above all other cars I have had. I love my "classic".

Since delivery, only been to the Service Center twice, once just after delivery to fix the front passenger dome light and then tire rotation at 6,500 miles. The car has performed flawlessly.

Have not received update yet.