Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fly jets for an on-demand charter company. I get called at all hours. It plays havoc with me on my marriage and now apparently on when my car is "upgrading"... I imagine there is a doctor or two out there with similar concerns...

I've never had an update in two years that's taken more than 30 or 45 minutes, but my concern is around what happens if the update fails and "bricks" the car? (Okay, temporarily disables the car). That's why, as tempting as it is, I will not run updates when I'm out, like at work. I only execute the update when I'm at home and have no immediate plans to use the car. Having said all that, I've never had a problem with updates.

Agreed, releasing multiple firmware changes (to anything, let alone a car) in one week is a little bit overkill for the general consumer.

Not if Tesla found bugs that could lead to safety issues. Those types of updates get sent out quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Received .140 at the service center yesterday. My trip home showed some of the lowest Wh/mi figures while driving at 75 MPH. I have a P85 and used 284 Wh/mi driving the 50 miles home from the service center. Wow!

This must be a first, someone complaining about too many updates.

I don't see why it would be a problem for the general consumer (non-enthusiast who doesn't keep track of update builds). All it takes is tapping the button to accept letting the car update at the default setting of 2AM or whatever default time the owner last chose, and it just happens. It's even easier than updating an iPhone, which requires a few more taps. Yes there may be individual exceptions of people who work a night shift, or are on call at night, but those people really are the exceptions.

Not if Tesla found bugs that could lead to safety issues. Those types of updates get sent out quickly.
Received .140 at the service center yesterday. My trip home showed some of the lowest Wh/mi figures while driving at 75 MPH. I have a P85 and used 284 Wh/mi driving the 50 miles home from the service center. Wow!
That's unexpected, isn't it? They never claimed any efficiency improvements for the RWD models. They did say they were updating the inverter behavior on the Ps that would improve our performance slightly, did it have a secondary benefit of improving efficiency?

This must be a first, someone complaining about too many updates.

Right? If it were up to me I'd want updates as fast as quality allows (maybe weekly?). It's practically zero effort for owners, why not have the latest rather than waiting months between point releases?

Last edited:
Why not install it when it's sitting at the airport while you're flying?

For sure I've had to modify my behavior when it comes to updating my car when I'm away. My biggest issue is just trying to remember to set it. Of note, I had suddenly remembered, to my horror, that on a return flight, my car would be sleeping and upgrading, as I forgot to delay the upgrade before I left. I called the Tesla roadside assistance and asked if they could remotely abort the process, to which he chuckled and said no, but that they actually get that request a lot (doctors). I asked if he could put this in a suggestion box. When I returned after my duty, sure enough, my car was "upgrading" and dead for the full 1+40 hours. I sat in my car at 3:30am until 4:00am waiting... Everybody else had gone home and I was the laughing stock at the next pilot meeting. It was fairly harmless but could be more serious for myself or others that really need their car at odd times... I just wish these "emergency" updates weren't so common. It could actually cause an emergency for an unsuspecting Tesla owner at some point...

For sure I've had to modify my behavior when it comes to updating my car when I'm away. My biggest issue is just trying to remember to set it. Of note, I had suddenly remembered, to my horror, that on a return flight, my car would be sleeping and upgrading, as I forgot to delay the upgrade before I left. I called the Tesla roadside assistance and asked if they could remotely abort the process, to which he chuckled and said no, but that they actually get that request a lot (doctors). I asked if he could put this in a suggestion box. When I returned after my duty, sure enough, my car was "upgrading" and dead for the full 1+40 hours. I sat in my car at 3:30am until 4:00am waiting... Everybody else had gone home and I was the laughing stock at the next pilot meeting. It was fairly harmless but could be more serious for myself or others that really need their car at odd times... I just wish these "emergency" updates weren't so common. It could actually cause an emergency for an unsuspecting Tesla owner at some point...
That's so strange. In 18 months of owning my S60 I have never received an emergency update (i.e., one that I couldn't delay). Every single firmware update had the same little message that asked me when I wanted to install it...

I hope all the people acting so indignant have actually tried range mode. I detect zero difference on cabin temp. Only pack heating which you can solve with toggle for now. Relax, you got the range. Enjoy best car on planet and I'm sure they will change eventually. Or maybe you just love being angry?

In my S85, there is a significant difference in cabin temperature when preheating with range mode on and preheating with range mode off. At least 5 C difference. (after three cycles on a 0 C day).

That's so strange. In 18 months of owning my S60 I have never received an emergency update (i.e., one that I couldn't delay). Every single firmware update had the same little message that asked me when I wanted to install it...

Every one of my v6.1 updates (4 so far) only gave me the option of now or later (24 hours)... Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I don't think so. Anybody wanna chime in? (Obvious question )

In my S85, there is a significant difference in cabin temperature when preheating with range mode on and preheating with range mode off. At least 5 C difference. (after three cycles on a 0 C day).
We don't have a lot of <O°C days here in Portland, but many mornings <5°C. I can't say I see a difference in CABIN temperature with or without range mode (S60). But I do see a massive difference in pack temperature.
In range mode, when it's below 40F (5°C), even after pre-heating for 20 minutes I have no regen at all. With range mode off in otherwise very similar circumstances (car outside over night) I have at least 15kW regen, usually just a little more.