Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every one of my v6.1 updates (4 so far) only gave me the option of now or later (24 hours)... Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I don't think so. Anybody wanna chime in? (Obvious question )

Just click on the X, and it'll ask you every time you get in your car. There are plenty of people that have delayed updates for months at a time.

Just click on the X, and it'll ask you every time you get in your car. There are plenty of people that have delayed updates for months at a time.

What happens if you postpone an update, and then an updated release is made available.. does the car allow you to 'jump' to the latest update, or do you need to install the postponed one first? In other words, can you have multiple updates pending/downloaded to the car at once, or is it such that until you install the first update, you no longer get future update downloads/notifications?

What happens if you postpone an update, and then an updated release is made available.. does the car allow you to 'jump' to the latest update, or do you need to install the postponed one first? In other words, can you have multiple updates pending/downloaded to the car at once, or is it such that until you install the first update, you no longer get future update downloads/notifications?

It'll eventually stop nagging you about the current update, until the next one comes along. There's really no harm in postponing an update until you're certain it's convenient for you.

If you skip too many updates, talking about months here, you may need to go to a service center to get back up to date.

I may hold the record for length of time skipping updates, from January to August 2013, as I wanted to keep "sleep mode" which was temporarily revoked for the better part of 2013. And my plan would have continued to work if not for a first gen door handle failure. Turned out that a firmware update was needed for the redesigned door handles. Local service center needed a hand from HQ to get my nicely aged car updated, but it was no big deal.

Received .140 at the service center yesterday. My trip home showed some of the lowest Wh/mi figures while driving at 75 MPH. I have a P85 and used 284 Wh/mi driving the 50 miles home from the service center. Wow!

I upgraded to .116 and then my wife took the car for the day. On the way home, she asked me about a software upgrade message. When she got home, I ran the update, but also noticed that the displayed Wh/mi for that day were remarkably low. Since I wasn't in the car with her, it was impossible to attribute it to anything, but I will be keeping my eye on it.

.116 was only there for a day, so the changes might have come with that, or with .139 for those who got it instead.

That's for an S 85.

Not if Tesla found bugs that could lead to safety issues. Those types of updates get sent out quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Received .140 at the service center yesterday. My trip home showed some of the lowest Wh/mi figures while driving at 75 MPH. I have a P85 and used 284 Wh/mi driving the 50 miles home from the service center. Wow!

Which is exactly my point... wide releasing multiple minor revs in a short period of time likely means their QA team isn't catching major bugs, the end users are, and that doesn't instill confidence that quality is valued over release schedule.

- - - Updated - - -

This must be a first, someone complaining about too many updates.

I don't see why it would be a problem for the general consumer (non-enthusiast who doesn't keep track of update builds). All it takes is tapping the button to accept letting the car update at the default setting of 2AM or whatever default time the owner last chose, and it just happens. It's even easier than updating an iPhone, which requires a few more taps. Yes there may be individual exceptions of people who work a night shift, or are on call at night, but those people really are the exceptions.

So you wouldn't get second thoughts about the quality of your car if you had new software updates almost every day (extreme example), with no apparent new features, just bug fixes?
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all the new stuff Tesla is doing, I just don't want to be a beta tester.

Results of .140 at constant 70 MPH P85D

I just picked up my P85D from the Tampa Service center where my car was updated with .140. On the way to pick up my car, I drove a loaner P85+ and averaged about 350 WH/Mi. On the way back to Sarasota I retraced my exact route and was surprised to find 284 WH/Mi at a constant 70 miles per hour. (Speed Control, Range Mode, Climate control off) Certainly something has changed because I am used to about 340 KW/Mi on this trip which I make frequently. This is about a 15% improvement. See below:

70mph 284 wpm.jpg

I just picked up my P85D from the Tampa Service center where my car was updated with .140. On the way to pick up my car, I drove a loaner P85+ and averaged about 350 WH/Mi. On the way back to Sarasota I retraced my exact route and was surprised to find 284 WH/Mi at a constant 70 miles per hour. (Speed Control, Range Mode, Climate control off) Certainly something has changed because I am used to about 340 KW/Mi on this trip which I make frequently. This is about a 15% improvement. See below:

View attachment 71377
why do people need Auto Pilot? Because they want to take a picture of their instrument panel while going 70mph...

We don't have a lot of <O°C days here in Portland, but many mornings <5°C. I can't say I see a difference in CABIN temperature with or without range mode (S60). But I do see a massive difference in pack temperature.
In range mode, when it's below 40F (5°C), even after pre-heating for 20 minutes I have no regen at all. With range mode off in otherwise very similar circumstances (car outside over night) I have at least 15kW regen, usually just a little more.

Range mode disables the battery pack heating. If your goal is to preheat the battery pack using shore power, you need to turn off range mode when you exit the car, and then turn it back on when you start driving. This is one of the main reasons I don't like the fact that torque sleep is so tied to range mode.

Which is exactly my point... wide releasing multiple minor revs in a short period of time likely means their QA team isn't catching major bugs, the end users are, and that doesn't instill confidence that quality is valued over release schedule.

I disagree. Multiple minor revs in a short period doesn't mean any of that. It could merely mean that Tesla Engineers are completing portions of the work at a time, and releasing early and often to get customers to have some of the improvements as soon as possible. There is also a certain amount of QA and "fine tuning" type work that is best done in the field. For example: "We are not sure if algorithm A or B is better in the situation of an uphill climb in varying speed 40-65mph, let us test A in 139 and B in 140 and see which group does better in that circumstance."

As an engineer, I see nothing wrong with how Tesla is doing their updates except for:
a) there should be better release notes
b) customers should be able to request updates on their own

If you are feeling like you are part of a beta test and therefore dissatisfied -- you probably bought the wrong car. This car is on the bleeding edge of technology, and a more 'proven' technology probably makes more sense for you -- say a BMW M, M-B AMG, etc ...

I've had my Model S for over 2 years, and cannot remember a time (since release 4.2) where they rolled out so many minor versions in one shot.
If they continue to do this style of release rollouts for things like autopilot tweaks and drive algorithm changes, at least limit distribution to the cars who actually have said hardware that needs "field QA and fine tuning" as you put it.

I disagree. Multiple minor revs in a short period doesn't mean any of that. It could merely mean that Tesla Engineers are completing portions of the work at a time, and releasing early and often to get customers to have some of the improvements as soon as possible. There is also a certain amount of QA and "fine tuning" type work that is best done in the field. For example: "We are not sure if algorithm A or B is better in the situation of an uphill climb in varying speed 40-65mph, let us test A in 139 and B in 140 and see which group does better in that circumstance."

As an engineer, I see nothing wrong with how Tesla is doing their updates except for:
a) there should be better release notes
b) customers should be able to request updates on their own

If you are feeling like you are part of a beta test and therefore dissatisfied -- you probably bought the wrong car. This car is on the bleeding edge of technology, and a more 'proven' technology probably makes more sense for you -- say a BMW M, M-B AMG, etc ...

I finally got my 6.1 update last night, I think it was version .116 ....Almost immediately a message popped up that Parking Assist was disabled.
Well, I just got a notification this morning that another update is available, assuming it must be .140 that other people are mentioning. Maybe the re-application of a new patch will magically fix my parking sensors and I can cancel my service appointment.

Time will tell.

That's unexpected, isn't it? They never claimed any efficiency improvements for the RWD models. They did say they were updating the inverter behavior on the Ps that would improve our performance slightly, did it have a secondary benefit of improving efficiency?

Maybe the wind was at my back? LOL... I don't know, except that I've never hit that kind of efficiency while driving at that speed over relatively flat terrain.

Guys, Tesla is doing the right thing but rolling out smaller, frequent, incremental updates. Just think back to 5.x. The rollouts were halted for months at a time and I, for one, was not happy that my car continued to suffer from insomnia despite a fix being available. If they try to correct everything all at once then a) it takes longer and b) it increases the probably that one if affected something else entirely

Trust me, I'm a Sig. I've been in the software update game since 3.5. Incremental updates are always welcome over major overhauls where the chances that something gets screwed up are infinitely higher.