Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an interesting experience upgrading to .251 - my first upgrade. I decided to sit in the car for the hour and listen to the radio while it was doing its thing. After about 45 minutes and a few reboots, it finally shut down everything, and rebooted just the odometer console. Then, it came up with this:

2015-07-14 01.09.54.jpg

The center console was not on, no radio, no A/C, nothing. I tried rebooting the screens but nothing worked. After about 10 minutes, I left the car, came inside, and started getting info for Tesla Service (since I haven't had to call them yet) and went back out to the car. When I got in range, it started actually doing other things like popping out each door handle individually, and then it started charging back up my vampire loss and all was good.

Luckily I didn't need to go anywhere today (I work from home) but it was kind of a scary first upgrade experience. Next time I won't sit in the car while it upgrades. I wonder if the fact I had it plugged in while it was upgrading did something?

Plugging in is fine. All of my upgrades over the past two years have been while it's plugged in overnight. Best to not sit in the car while it's upgrading, not listen to the radio, or do anything else. It's like trying to use your computer while the OS is upgrading. Next time just set the scheduler to update overnight (it should be set that way as default) and when you get in the car in the morning everything should be fine.

I wonder if the fact I had it plugged in while it was upgrading did something?

I do not believe so. So far, every time I get an upgrade, it was while the car was at the service center. That said, reports previously said the vehicle will actually stop charging while performing the update, so I imagine this would be a non-issue. The greater potential for issues is the keyfob being close enough to the car to try and engage some functions, like the door handles and such. Probably the same deal with the seat sensor registered someone is in the car.

More tips:

1. Leave the car alone when it's updating. It'll post a bunch of nonsensical warnings during the update process, but more importantly something you do while sitting in there (like opening the door) could cause things to get messed up, requiring a repush of the update or, worst case, a Tesla tech to reflash something on the car.

2. If you get an update, install it first, then post here.

Is it possible to apply the update while the car has no 3G connection? My car (when it arrives) will be parked 4 levels below ground at night so there's no hope of getting any kind of cellular signal down in the car park.

By the time you get the install prompt, the update is already downloaded. If it hasn't already downloaded, you'll never receive the update in the garage, but I believe it will install without network access (this is based on what I've read, I've never personally been out of range during an install).

Is it possible to apply the update while the car has no 3G connection? My car (when it arrives) will be parked 4 levels below ground at night so there's no hope of getting any kind of cellular signal down in the car park.
It will. My vehicle spends 98% of its time without any cellular or wifi reception as both my home and work garages are underground. Installs happen just fine without an Internet connection.