Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed .251. Now, when I try to use cruise I get error message "reduced camera visibility, cruise not available".

Edit: works now.

So that's interesting. The current TACC is in no way functionally connected to the camera.

That implies that there is something lurking in the current code that expects the camera to be functional when operating cruise control. I suspect that we've got a bunch of the autopilot code already in the cars operating in the background for testing purposes.

I beg to disagree. In its current implementation, I believe TACC uses both the front camera and the long-distance radar to identify potential vehicles that the car needs to slow down for.

Yes. This would be consistent with reports that sometimes TACC brakes hard for shadows, thinking its a vehicle. I can't imagine this being the result of anything except the camera or user error (resting their foot on the brake, accidentally disengaging TACC, and panicking when regen kicks in), and I doubt it's the latter.

So that's interesting. The current TACC is in no way functionally connected to the camera.

That implies that there is something lurking in the current code that expects the camera to be functional when operating cruise control. I suspect that we've got a bunch of the autopilot code already in the cars operating in the background for testing purposes.

TACC does use the camera (at least according to the Forward Collision Warning / Auto Emergency Braking engineer at TMC Connect) And they do run dormant or background versions of the autopilot software to compare the system's potential actions against driver input.

Actually I find sitting in the car during an update to be quite entertaining! I've done it many times now with no ill effect. Just be prepared to do something else for most of the time, like play a game on your phone. Don't touch anything in the mean time though. Or even get out in the middle of the upgrade. That's what can cause problems.

I didn't touch anything but did get out of the car when I got the screen.

I also got a call from my local Tesla service center saying they read my post here and to not sit in the car during upgrades again. ;)

TACC definitely uses the camera. How else would the car know the if a car in the adjacent lane isn't in your path while taking a turn? (When in a straight line from the radar the car is directly in front of you, but in a different lane).

As for Tesla being proactive with forum posts, they most definitely do monitor this forum and their own. I've gotten several calls based on my posts of issues here.