Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anybody posted about the tesla conference call this evening. Elon said they're rolling out autopilot software updates to their public trial candidates on August 15th. And then depending on the results they could roll it out to everybody 1-2 months after that.

In other words, keep your hands on the wheel until 2016.

August 15 + 2 months is October 15. If you want to say you don't believe Elon fine. But based on his stated timeline they still have 2.5 months left in 2015 for them to be late and still have Autopilot in regular owners hands before 2015 ends.

- - - Updated - - -

Newbie here. I got 2.5.21 last night.

Welcome to the forum.

Please don't post on this thread to say what you got. Signup for the Firmware tracker and enter it there:
http://ev-fw.com/track-login.php

Less noise, more useful info.

Side note: no updates on either car here for a while. P85D is still on .251

It would surprise me if your P85D doesn't get the update by the weekend, but I'm not particularly surprised yet.

P85 installed last night, P85D just got the notification.

Now if I could just figure out how to use my powers of prediction for something important...

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone is asking why they are pushing this latest patch out so fast. I think this may have to do with it.

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/researchers-hacked-model-s-teslas-already/

You'd get an "A" for linking to a new article on the subject, but since wk057 had already linked to a different article on the same subject upthread (see below), we'll have to lower your overall grade to a B-.

Nice find, though!

Assuming it's 2.5.21 as per this article linked in another thread: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/08/06/us-tesla-motors-hacking-idUKKCN0QB1AN20150806

I got .21 recently as well. It's good that Tesla is also paying attention to security and is willing to push out patches quickly. The defcon hack today was thankfully not too scary :). But with Autopilot etc. the possible downside of a serious hack is quite high. Imagine being in a car that you have no control on, at 155 mph. Only Tesla's connected car approach can meet this challenge.

We all received that firmware that changed the ride height of the vehicle pretty much right away. Tesla can certainly turn up the taps and get firmware pushed out quickly. However, there is likely a risk for doing so and this one was worth the risk apparently. Issues like this gets the fleet updated pretty quickly, so if you're really behind, thank the security researchers.

The fact that we all seemed to get 2.5.21 so rapidly makes me wonder why other updates seem to take so long to roll out across all users.

We all received that firmware that changed the ride height of the vehicle pretty much right away. Tesla can certainly turn up the taps and get firmware pushed out quickly. However, there is likely a risk for doing so and this one was worth the risk apparently. Issues like this gets the fleet updated pretty quickly, so if you're really behind, thank the security researchers.

Essentially this. Tesla likely staggers most rollouts because they know there are wide variations in the components in the fleet and don't want to overwhelm Engineering if a bug gets found in a new deployment. That said, sometime the security or severity of what is changing warrant pushing it out ASAP.

Essentially this. Tesla likely staggers most rollouts because they know there are wide variations in the components in the fleet and don't want to overwhelm Engineering if a bug gets found in a new deployment. That said, sometime the security or severity of what is changing warrant pushing it out ASAP.

This makes a whole lot of sense. They're limiting their exposure.

Pretty clear that 2.5.21 was about the security fixes.

From http://www.wired.com/2015/08/researchers-hacked-model-s-teslas-already/

Lol, I got home yesterday and installed .251; hoping to receive .21 today... (Traveling without my car for past 6 weeks).

Note this comment re. lack of isolation between browser and rest of IVI system. Hopefully not on same system as any critical systems, and it appears the original demonstration was based on physical access, though the seriously out-dated webkit in the seriously out-dated browser appeared to have opened some additional attack vectors:
In particular, the path that the team used to achieve root (superuser) privileges on the infotainment system has been closed off at several different points.” She also noted that the effects of some other vulnerabilities have been mitigated. “In particular, the browser has been further isolated from the rest of the infotainment system using several different layered methods.”

and it appears the original demonstration was based on physical access, though the seriously out-dated webkit in the seriously out-dated browser appeared to have opened some addition attack vectors:

When I read about the webkit vulnerability in the article I wondered if this could result in Tesla having to speed up work on providing a better browser, or whether they could patch that webkit vulnerability without necessarily providing a better browser. I pretty much assumed it was the latter, but was hoping for the former. Thoughts from those that are knowledgeable on this stuff?