Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like Jason & Andrew who are early P85D adopters too, I'm also getting aggravated at how long after the original announcement auto-pilot is taking to release. As I mentioned in the 7.0 firmware thread (here #33), just add auto-steer already! :rolleyes:

Yep- auto steer is all I want. The parking stuff can come later as far as I'm concerned. And in the next week would be great since I'm going on a 3k mile road trip. I'm not holding my breath :)

By the time the software is available and actually works, there will be a new and improved autopilot hardware suite. Model X is around the corner, which will most likely have improved or additional sensors, and Model S test mule has been spotted with a stereoscopic front camera, side view mirror cameras, etc. That is surely coming in the next year.

Seem to be derailing the Firmware 6.2 thread a little with the autopilot talk, but....

Yeah, auto steer is really the only remaining feature I give a crap about. Self parking, summoning, whatever... that's fluff.

But really, I have a piece of hardware on the car (the auto steering hardware) that has never even been used, yet 1/4 of the factory warranty on it is up already (1/8 of the 100k mile extended). This I have a problem with, not to mention prepaying for a feature that has yet to happen with no real compensation/recourse/etc.

By the time the software is available and actually works, there will be a new and improved autopilot hardware suite.

This.

Always purchase hi-tech equipment for what it can do when you purchase it, not for some future upgrade. Sometimes you will get lucky and get the future upgrade and it works as advertised, and sometimes not.

All I know is that it's been nearly 9 months since the announcement of autopilot, over 6 months since I took delivery of my P85D (purchase heavily based on that announcement), and no cars publicly have the functionality that was promised to be done in "several months."

So I'm at over 12k miles, about 1/8th of the way through my warranty on this hardware that I haven't even been able to utilize. Specifically, I don't even know or have any way of knowing if the steering control hardware even works on my car.

At this rate I'll probably have half of my warranty burned up before they get the update pushed.

Basically, it's July and I just drove another 600 miles of highway without working autopilot that was all but promised to be working by now. Irritating.

To complete the cycle here is what I tell you every time you do this.

Telsa told you the features would be rolled out over successive software updates. Many of us have pointed out it was probably going to be a long term roll out. This shouldn't be a surprise to you.

At this point Elon said that early access people would have it by the end of the month, which based on Elon predictions probably means in a few weeks from now. So presumably it'll be available to everyone soon, which presumably is far better than my original October prediction.

No matter what they're not going to give it to you early. This absolutely has to work correctly. It's a safety issue. So no amount of crying about this is going to get it to you sooner.

For the record, I have an 85D with nearly 13k miles and after next weekend it'll be quite a bit more than that after I drive to TMC Connect. So I have just as much reason to be annoyed as you. If I thought complaining or being frustrated about this would do us any good I'd be posting comments just like you.

You can choose to be annoyed by this situation that absolutely nobody can do anything about or you can choose to be happy with what you have.

To complete the cycle here is what I tell you every time you do this.

Telsa told you the features would be rolled out over successive software updates. Many of us have pointed out it was probably going to be a long term roll out. This shouldn't be a surprise to you.

At this point Elon said that early access people would have it by the end of the month, which based on Elon predictions probably means in a few weeks from now. So presumably it'll be available to everyone soon, which presumably is far better than my original October prediction.

No matter what they're not going to give it to you early. This absolutely has to work correctly. It's a safety issue. So no amount of crying about this is going to get it to you sooner.

For the record, I have an 85D with nearly 13k miles and after next weekend it'll be quite a bit more than that after I drive to TMC Connect. So I have just as much reason to be annoyed as you. If I thought complaining or being frustrated about this would do us any good I'd be posting comments just like you.

You can choose to be annoyed by this situation that absolutely nobody can do anything about or you can choose to be happy with what you have.

Unfortunately, dismissing my comments as "crying" doesn't actually get anything anywhere. I assure you, I'm a grown man and I assure you I'm not "crying" about anything here. So please don't be disrespectful.

The portion of your quote above is just plain wrong, and I outlined in the thread I started on the topic (so as not to derail this one further) things that could certainly be done to soften the issues with this situation that don't involve pushing unsafe software.

Last edited:
My car is in the service center to resolve a problem where the ACC refuses to activate. They were surprised when calibration didn't fix it and had to escalate to engineering. I was told they had to do a one-off firmware patch to fix the problem, so I thought I might get a new minor rev number. However, Visible Tesla reports it is the same one everyone else is getting at the service center (2.4.249). I'm not sure if this means they can release a patch to an extant rev number without changing the minor release number or if they really didn't need to write a new patch but rather just apply the most current. In my software dev world, it would have to be the latter (unless they have a further subrelease number that isn't visible to us like 2.4.249.5) Of course, I updated the tracker as well.

My car is in the service center to resolve a problem where the ACC refuses to activate. They were surprised when calibration didn't fix it and had to escalate to engineering. I was told they had to do a one-off firmware patch to fix the problem, so I thought I might get a new minor rev number. However, Visible Tesla reports it is the same one everyone else is getting at the service center (2.4.249). I'm not sure if this means they can release a patch to an extant rev number without changing the minor release number or if they really didn't need to write a new patch but rather just apply the most current. In my software dev world, it would have to be the latter (unless they have a further subrelease number that isn't visible to us like 2.4.249.5) Of course, I updated the tracker as well.

The patch might have just affected the climate control ECU, so if it were possible to get the firmware version of the climate control ECU then you could see the difference. It's probably a separate development series than the main firmware.

So we had a reasonable number of people suddenly get .249 OTA and I had started to wonder if they were beginning to roll this out more broadly when today we got two reports of .250.
So we've seen one single build number increase in 3 weeks (first report of .249 was on June 17). Which means that a) they are still working on this version and b) most likely the majority of their engineers is working on the next bigger release upgrade (my guess would be lane hold)