Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. I think the Model S is already smart enough to know the difference between absolute speed limits and truck/towing limits.

As for the Model X, I would hope it's also smart enough to know when it is towing something or not, and make sense of the appropriate speed limit signs.

It should know, as it'll need to have a lights/power plug to plug into a trailer - and that should trigger it to behave differently (like most higher end SUVs kind of have a tow mode to cool more and monitor trailer lighting).

But, with the speed limit detection I'm having horrible accuracy and live in Chicago. It almost never recognizes clear signs ahead it seems, doesn't switch when the speed limit goes down, seems to use GPS data first (backwards), etc. Not a feature I've growth to rely on at all but it is nice when it does work or displays, as a reminder at least.

-T

Same here. I think the Model S is already smart enough to know the difference between absolute speed limits and truck/towing limits.

As for the Model X, I would hope it's also smart enough to know when it is towing something or not, and make sense of the appropriate speed limit signs.

On I-70 heading into the mountains west from Denver, it is doubly bad. It recognizes the minimum speed signs as the speed limit, and then can't read the dynamic, light-bulb, actual maximum speed limit signs...

I find it interesting that the last 3 updates I've received have all been near the end of the month.

28-April-2015 6.2-2.4.188 3G / was waiting for me after work where car is not on wifi
27-May-2015 6.2-2.4.236 Wifi
30-June-2015 6.2-2.4.249 Wifi

Before that updates were more irregular. Looking at the firmware tracker there's a trend there too. April is a bit messed up because that's when they put out the 85D sport mode. But first week of May (which may be some lag in that end of April update) and Last week of May were very busy weeks.

Once 6.3 or 7 comes out this will probably be broken as there is batch of updates, but it looks to me that we're getting roughly monthly updates.

It also makes you wonder that with so many point releases of 6.2, perhaps they are debugging the Model X mules too? At least, I hope there aren't so many bug fixes they are addressing. That said, the bug fixes could have nothing to do with driving dynamics/safety and instead could be the .ca/.com change and other "innocuous" stuff.

Another thing that happens to me fairly regularly with misreading speed limit signs is Speed Zone Ahead signs read as the current speed limit. There is a sign in town where there is a regular speed limit sign with a separate sign above it that says "Speed Zone Ahead", then a little bit further up the road there is a yellow sign with the speed limit and an arrow (implying speed zone ahead) and then finally the actual speed limit sign. Car always reads that sign as a speed limit sign. There's a fairly significant distance between these signs due to a bridge and the inability to see the signs far off. Thus the reason there are multiple signs, to try and give people ample opportunity to realize the speed zone is ahead.

Another thing that happens to me fairly regularly with misreading speed limit signs is Speed Zone Ahead signs read as the current speed limit. There is a sign in town where there is a regular speed limit sign with a separate sign above it that says "Speed Zone Ahead", then a little bit further up the road there is a yellow sign with the speed limit and an arrow (implying speed zone ahead) and then finally the actual speed limit sign. Car always reads that sign as a speed limit sign. There's a fairly significant distance between these signs due to a bridge and the inability to see the signs far off. Thus the reason there are multiple signs, to try and give people ample opportunity to realize the speed zone is ahead.

I can understand getting the false alarms from the read/scanned limit + offset not matching the real limit, but if TACC is engaged, doesn't the car maintain its speed anyway? I get wanting better reads, but in your example, wouldn't it just keep chugging along at the prior speed? Or is the "speed zone" a faster area rather than slower, and that's part of the gripe? I'm just trying to understand better. Thanks!

I can understand getting the false alarms from the read/scanned limit + offset not matching the real limit, but if TACC is engaged, doesn't the car maintain its speed anyway? I get wanting better reads, but in your example, wouldn't it just keep chugging along at the prior speed? Or is the "speed zone" a faster area rather than slower, and that's part of the gripe? I'm just trying to understand better. Thanks!

Speed Limit drops from 50 to 30 in this case. Yes it keeps on going at whatever I have it set at. No real gripe other than trying to explain the limits of the Speed Assist software.

If the car starts having the ability to adjust the set speed automatically like they demoed at the D event, then it would be a lot more concerning.

If the car starts having the ability to adjust the set speed automatically like they demoed at the D event, then it would be a lot more concerning.

Well, it really shouldn't be concerning, since the driver is supposed to still be monitoring the car. If it reads the wrong speed and starts to speed up/slow down incorrectly, driver should be able to intervene and fix the set speed.

Having said that, obviously this wouldn't be ideal so hopefully they've improved things for when (if?) auto speed set comes out.

I don't think I want the car to start slowing down automatically if it detects a change in speed limit. Something like that should never be automatic and should always be the driver's decision.

Lots of ways to handle it. Most obvious is to make it an option. Also, it could play a tone and wait 1-3 seconds before starting a speed change, and the driver can cancel any change by pulling the CC stalk or something like that.

Eventually if Tesla has real autonomious driving capability, the speed WILL be controlled by the car. There is no question about it. The only question will be when will that mode is the ONLY mode available.

Only when a Telsa car is fully-capable of autonomous driving (both software AND hardware-wise, which is none of Tesla's current cars) AND legislation not only allows but REQUIRES that all new vehicles be driven autonomously ONLY. I predict over 15 years from now.

All I know is that it's been nearly 9 months since the announcement of autopilot, over 6 months since I took delivery of my P85D (purchase heavily based on that announcement), and no cars publicly have the functionality that was promised to be done in "several months."

So I'm at over 12k miles, about 1/8th of the way through my warranty on this hardware that I haven't even been able to utilize. Specifically, I don't even know or have any way of knowing if the steering control hardware even works on my car.

At this rate I'll probably have half of my warranty burned up before they get the update pushed.

Basically, it's July and I just drove another 600 miles of highway without working autopilot that was all but promised to be working by now. Irritating.

I must admit, I'm getting a bit annoyed with the lack of autopilot features as well. Autopilot definitely factored into my decision to upgrade. But I knew this was a risk. Tesla has a habit of underestimating time to deliver on features, and I knew that when I ordered. I still wouldn't give up my S for any other car, and I believe Tesla will deliver the software when they believe it's safe.
Just like the falcon exploding for space X, an accident caused by autopilot could be disastrous to Tesla.

The only way to avoid having complaints about waiting for software updates is to never announce them until they are ready to be pushed out. Of course, then you get complaints about not keeping the software current, lack of R&D, etc. This is one you can't win regardless of your strategy.

The lack of current public visibility of how AP is working and how well it works was a strong factor in my decision to get a CPO. I decided rather than be annoyed at the wait, I will just get my first S as a "classic" and upgrade once AP is actually out. I will probably be likely to wait out till AP 2.0 comes out.