Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've started a thread with my data that I believe supports the fact that Tesla is still working on (and succeeding at) improving the efficiency of at least the P85Ds, and probably all the Ds through tweaking of the torque sleep algorithm or through other means. The thread is here:

My P85D's efficiency is still improving with firmware updates

As I said at the beginning of my post in that thread, I have definitely been critical of a lot of things Tesla has done recently, so I think it only fair that I also point out when I believe they are doing something well.

Got .36 this morning. Once again Tesla confuses its customers by presenting the same release notes, release after release. It's stupid, it insults owners' intelligence, and I'd love to see one self-respecting Tesla software engineer who thinks they could get away with such a stunt in github. Tesla, stop doing this. Be honest with your customers. If .36 had some minor bug fixes or security enhancements, just say that, period. We can handle it. We're all used to iOS or Android updates.

As for .36 itself, the only change in the car I've noticed since the install is that my 90% charge went from 234 to 232, so I'm grumpy.

Why on earth didn't you take over sooner? You knew the car ahead of you was stopped. As soon as that motorcycle pulled ahead of you, you should have either disconnected TACC or had your foot hovering over the brake because who knows how the system is going to react to this behavior.

I have over 11k miles using TACC under my belt on 5, 101, and 280 and I know its limitations and edge cases.

The motorcycle didn't pull in front of me -- it lane split. I am hoping a Tesla engineer sees this post and can improve the feature. It will cause accidents with autopilot in its current implementation. The car is mistaking the motorcycle for the primary following car instead of keeping its bead on the vehicle in the lane.

I have over 11k miles using TACC under my belt on 5, 101, and 280 and I know its limitations and edge cases.

The motorcycle didn't pull in front of me -- it lane split. I am hoping a Tesla engineer sees this post and can improve the feature. It will cause accidents with autopilot in its current implementation. The car is mistaking the motorcycle for the primary following car instead of keeping its bead on the vehicle in the lane.

This sound important enough that you should report it to Tesla directly.

I think that many of these sorts of problems will go away with the advent of lane following. Once the car is aware of the path of your lane, then it can pay attention (for following purposes) to only those things in your lane. Right now it doesn't have the ability to do that, which means that a few obvious failure modes are present. You're seeing one of them.

I think that many of these sorts of problems will go away with the advent of lane following. Once the car is aware of the path of your lane, then it can pay attention (for following purposes) to only those things in your lane. Right now it doesn't have the ability to do that, which means that a few obvious failure modes are present. You're seeing one of them.

The problem with lane-splitting motorcycles is that they are sometimes in your lane, sometimes in the next one over.

I'm always careful with them as they could pull out square in front of my car at any moment, for example if a car or truck in the lane next to mine makes a sudden move that puts it on a collision course with the motorcycle, and the bike moves in front of me to avoid them.

If TACC and/or emergency braking don't handle such situations, guess whose fault such potentially fatal motorcycle accident would be?

Interesting observation.

1. I got the .21 push over a week ago but did not install. Last night, I got another notification that an update was available (iPhone) and thinking it was .36 I installed it. Turns out it was .21. Never knew it sent out multiple notifications for a single build.

2. After it completed my iphone received "ALERT_UPDATE_COMPLETED" never seen that before

I had my S85D at the service center today and they upgraded me to .36. They definitely changed the TACC software because if I set the cruise control in my neighborhood, when it recognizes parked cars it puts on the brakes. This happened multiple times after the .36 upgrade. When the .21 code was installed I did not have this issue. I had to turn off the cruise control because it was too sensitive.