Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have over 11k miles using TACC under my belt on 5, 101, and 280 and I know its limitations and edge cases.

The motorcycle didn't pull in front of me -- it lane split. I am hoping a Tesla engineer sees this post and can improve the feature. It will cause accidents with autopilot in its current implementation. The car is mistaking the motorcycle for the primary following car instead of keeping its bead on the vehicle in the lane.

TACC doesn't lock to stationary objects.

Anyone noticed that the headlights and fog light stay on during the day, even when the setting is "auto"?

The fog lights aren't controlled by "auto". They are either on or off manually. The headlights have never stayed on for me when the setting is auto. Try a reboot, check the settings, and then if it still occurs, contact service.

My headlights 100% turn on and off. The headlights do come on during the day if the windshield wipers are activated. I don't normally run with fog lights on, so I'll defer to jerry33 on that question.
If enabled, fog lamps turn on with the headlights and can't be turned on independently. Auto causes the headlights to come on if the light sensor detects it's too dark or if the wipers operate, with exception of the manual single wipe. It takes maybe a minute (I haven't timed it) after the last wipe for the headlights to turn off. I leave my wipers off when it's not raining since auto has a tendency to wipe for no reason.

I doubt this is what smilepak is seeing, but I will mention we should also not confuse the DRLs being on 24/7 with the headlights being on. Looking at the garage, you can notice only the LED trim around the headlights being on vs. the headlights themselves, but if you are facing a wall and noticing light against the wall, it could be the DRLs.

Again, I don't think this is what smilepak is seeing because it wouldn't explain the fog lights, but just throwing it out there for anyone searching that may come across this thread and pick that message out of 177 pages! :)

I doubt this is what smilepak is seeing, but I will mention we should also not confuse the DRLs being on 24/7 with the headlights being on. Looking at the garage, you can notice only the LED trim around the headlights being on vs. the headlights themselves, but if you are facing a wall and noticing light against the wall, it could be the DRLs.

Again, I don't think this is what smilepak is seeing because it wouldn't explain the fog lights, but just throwing it out there for anyone searching that may come across this thread and pick that message out of 177 pages! :)

Correct [emoji16]

When u go to the control panel, the picture if ur tesla exterior will show what light is actively on or off. I noticed it yesterday while driving back from SJC charging station the headlight and fog light was on at 5:00 pm reflecting on the car in front of me. So I check the control panel and toggle it from auto to off. It turned off the lights. Toggle it back to auto, lights came back on.

Correct [emoji16]

When u go to the control panel, the picture if ur tesla exterior will show what light is actively on or off. I noticed it yesterday while driving back from SJC charging station the headlight and fog light was on at 5:00 pm reflecting on the car in front of me. So I check the control panel and toggle it from auto to off. It turned off the lights. Toggle it back to auto, lights came back on.

So the headlights turned on a little before you would expect them to?

O man, if that's the case, I'm all for it. I've felt like the headlights turn on just a hair too late as compared to what I would do manually. I let them do their thing and leave it on Auto, since the DRLs are on.

If enabled, fog lamps turn on with the headlights and can't be turned on independently. Auto causes the headlights to come on if the light sensor detects it's too dark or if the wipers operate, with exception of the manual single wipe. It takes maybe a minute (I haven't timed it) after the last wipe for the headlights to turn off. I leave my wipers off when it's not raining since auto has a tendency to wipe for no reason.

Not sure if your car is in the group, but I did see a tech note about an improved rain sensor for customers that have false rain sensing on early models. Might want to ask about that.

In 2.5.21, I have found that TACC has major problems handling lane-splitting motorcycles. I was driving down 101S yesterday in the furthest left lane and traffic was slowing in front of me. There was a car at a complete stop about 50 yards in front of me while my car was going 40 mph. My car started to slow down, but then a motorcycle split the lane between us and the car started fully accelerating again. I had to slam on the brakes and I recovered with maybe two feet to spare. I have found lane splitting motorcycles to be a consistent problem for the Model S TACC that has not yet improved sufficiently.
Let me simplify that for you:
brianman said:
I have found lane splitting motorcycles to be a consistent problem
Unsafe is only the beginning of how to describe this traffic terror.