Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand the disappointment over the loss of some information and detail here and there, but I for one welcome the software. It will be nice to finally have the car I ordered, bought and paid for.

The ironic thing is that when I get the new software, I will no longer have the car I ordered, bought, and paid for.

My loss is your gain.

One thing I'd like to find out about; are we sure that the new "car display" instead of the speedometer is always there? I mean you can configure the left and right dash displays, so perhaps this is configurable?

Or is it possible it is only there when Autopilot is on?

One thing I'd like to find out about; are we sure that the new "car display" instead of the speedometer is always there? I mean you can configure the left and right dash displays, so perhaps this is configurable?

Or is it possible it is only there when Autopilot is on?

It actually seems from the pictures that it is not always there. When AP is not on/engaged, we saw an image of the simple digital speed with the arch type bar over it where limit is displayed, shows what cruise is set to, etc. It's not nearly as useful as the current realtime circular display still people are complaining about losing (will miss that too).

The new interface looks pretty alright aside from not having the power meter up unless you've got the energy app on. The center car/lane section seems to track your vehicle and the vehicle in front fairly well.

But that clock. Seriously, come on now...

I agree that the interface, at least from video, looks ok but for missing the power meter. How are you going to know when regen is decreased due to SOC or battery temp?

That said I am looking forward to the new "force lines" indicating objects close to the vehicle at speed. Around here there are some very narrow lanes and bridges where I would love to have a better idea of how close I am to adding another layer of paint to the guardrail.

With the Model X being at V7.0 without auto-steer, and now this V7.0 without auto-steer I'm beginning to fear that we won't get autopilot enhancements with V7.0

It looks like V7.0 is just going to be this new GUI, and MAYBE some improvements to blindspot/side monitoring.

With the Model X being at V7.0 without auto-steer, and now this V7.0 without auto-steer I'm beginning to fear that we won't get autopilot enhancements with V7.0

It looks like V7.0 is just going to be this new GUI, and MAYBE some improvements to blindspot/side monitoring.

What would be the point? That satisfies literally no one. They will hold 7.0 until AP is ready, even if everything else is done. They will want to make a very bit deal out of this release.

They might not have another choice. The v7 has been in the "beta" stage for more than 2 months, yet we haven't seen even one leaked video of autosteer. But there are several videos of v7 beta that quite prominently do NOT have it. Can

To me it all stinks of a failed software product. I know the feeling, I'd been there.

It's quite possible that 2-3 months ago Tesla's engineers realized that their approach is flawed, but perhaps could be made workable with sufficient amounts of duct tape. So they began duct-taping the code - that often is a good short-term strategy to get a product out of the door. But then, sometimes it fails and you are forced to re-engineer a system (after you've lost a lot of time trying to make your first attempt workable). In this scenario, Tesla engineers are frantically working 90-hour weeks now, trying to build a new system while the management stalls for time with "beta testing" optics and the Model X launch.

Releasing a half-baked v7 release without autopilot only to "fix" it later after a couple of weeks with obvious additions (like always showing the digital clock, temperature and energy meter) very much fits into this scenario.

PS: I won a $2000 private bet that autopilot won't be finished before the Model X release.
PPS: I have another private bet for $3000 that the autopilot won't be released this year.

I have to believe the IC in the final product will look somewhat different than this - at least more akin to what we saw last year. The beta is purpose built to explore and test out features while the vanity part comes later. Visually speaking, I can't imagine they would release something this unpolished compared to what the car already runs with. Give it some time - it will mature at it's own pace, but I think a lot of people's concerns with the look will be addressed later once the functionality is ironed out.

Pretty sure that video is another accidental beta install, unfortunately.

I think I agree. It's a Dutch video - filmed at a company that sells used Tesla's. This firm posted on twitter a picture of the V70 dashboard - already quite some time ago. Could this indeed be an incorrect beta install that subsequently was not updated when the second version of the beta version of V7.0 was rolled out to beta testers - which version was said to include auto-steer / alone-keeping? I recall a review of somebody that clearly described how these functions would work in the beta V7.0. In this video it is mentioned that not only auto-steer / lane-keeping is missing in this version of V7.0; it also lacks the parking functionality.

So hopefully only an early version of the beta V70 that simply not yet included these functions. (Just my 2 cents).

I think I agree. It's a Dutch video - filmed at a company that sells used Tesla's. This firm posted on twitter a picture of the V70 dashboard - already quite some time ago. Could this indeed be an incorrect beta install that subsequently was not updated when the second version of the beta version of V7.0 was rolled out to beta testers - which version was said to include auto-steer / alone-keeping? I recall a review of somebody that clearly described how these functions would work in the beta V7.0. In this video it is mentioned that not only auto-steer / lane-keeping is missing in this version of V7.0; it also lacks the parking functionality.

So hopefully only an early version of the beta V70 that simply not yet included these functions. (Just my 2 cents).

Yep. This ^

There is a version number in the vid, would be good to understand if it matches the V7 EAP beta. I've seen comments to suggest it's not beta as they end 1xx but I could be(hope I'm) wrong

Or maybe it was a car that was not purchased with the autopilot option.

I hope you're wrong-- if that's what they're doing, then they're a LONG way from releasing anything.

"Beta" is supposed to be the stage where the features and look are frozen, and you're only fixing bugs. If they're still messing around with the interface and feature set, then that's maybe not even alpha.

Technically, 7.0 has already been released-- but only in the X, and without auto-steer.

I have to believe the IC in the final product will look somewhat different than this - at least more akin to what we saw last year. The beta is purpose built to explore and test out features while the vanity part comes later. Visually speaking, I can't imagine they would release something this unpolished compared to what the car already runs with. Give it some time - it will mature at it's own pace, but I think a lot of people's concerns with the look will be addressed later once the functionality is ironed out.

I hope you're wrong-- if that's what they're doing, then they're a LONG way from releasing anything.

"Beta" is supposed to be the stage where the features and look are frozen, and you're only fixing bugs. If they're still messing around with the interface and feature set, then that's maybe not even alpha.

Technically, 7.0 has already been released-- but only in the X, and without auto-steer.

the X isn't going to actually hit the streets with owner's cars for a couple of more months. That said, its easy to debut v7 in the release if no one is going to have touched it before its ready - launch and delivery have a nice fat gap to get it right for the AP cars already on the road. Pretty sure Cyberax is going to be down a grand before the year finishes....