Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bottom line with a car UI is that a good one has only one rule, the UI is about one thing, and one thing only: drivers can easily accomplish tasks. Everything else, including look and feel, are secondary issues. They should be considered mainly to evaluate how they're contributing to the one rule.

So: in evaluating this purported 7.0 leak, the question is, will it make drivers more successful at accomplishing tasks, or not?

I think the two top factors that go into measuring the "success" or "failure" of accomplishing a task are:

• time it takes to do the task
• can driver to accomplish the task without looking

The aesthetics are way down the list, imho.

If when 7.0 comes out, drivers get things done sooner, easier, with less hassle due to better info chunking, info hierarchy, and step count reduction, then it's a success.

I agree with this.

Critical information display on the dash has priority. For the driver of an electric car these should be things such as (in order):

• Real time vehicle operational data - Speed, sensor inputs, power usage, etc...
  • Vehicle status - Charge/range, control states, operational modes, etc...
  • Auxiliary info - Odometers, trip meters, power averages, navigation, etc...

Given the dynamic capability of a fully digital display, there's some room to pick and choose what auxiliary info to present. But don't make the items in the first two categories an either/or decision... or compromise their presentation for the sake of presenting less critical info, or for stylistic reasons.

And make logical choices about what to group/offer for dash presentation given you also have a fully digital center console.

Example 1: I find the 7.0 presentation of the power graph somewhat compromised... for the scaling/labeling issues earlier, as well as the fact it removed the comparison to rated range, and thus presents less info.

Example 2: The "since last charge" display appears more visually cluttered, yet doesn't seem to present any new data. However it appears you would have to drill in to it in order to get odometer data that is no longer presented elsewhere.

Example 3: The power meter is no longer statically integrated with the speedo. Thus of you want a power meter, you have to take up a "side panel" slot for the power meter/graph display. Given that you can also get power averages on center console you don't NEED the power graph on the dash, yet you now no longer have the option of using that side panel for something else if you want the power meter. In other words, the option for trip meters, speedo/power-meter, and one other option (media, phone, etc...) all on the dash simultaneously is no longer an option.

It appears that auto pilot may have been the primary focus, with the "traditional" controls tucked in around it.

Last edited:
Wow, this was a fun surprise thread to see tonight and then read through - the one day I don't really check the site much ;-)...

Overall, interesting interface. It looks pretty nice IMHO, but I vote with many others that I do want all the realtime data I'm accustomed to being shown together. Who knows, we haven't seen it all yet and perhaps some items will even be configurable at their detail levels now or have options for presentation for the driver's display - that would be great if we can all customize some to what we like somewhat.

Other than that, look forward to it overall. And since using TACC a lot more lately in my commute to/from work and on the freeway I'm actually looking forward to auto steer coming out soon now - wasn't before, but do see some value in it. I personally know the spots I wouldn't trust it so far with all the construction going on etc though ;-) due to what lane departure already freaks out about.

It's all good...

I see that Tesla is trying to be more 'mainstream' with the speedo presentation, but I'm afraid that there will be a loss of presented information that us early adopters were used to seeing and mentally processing while driving.

It would be nice if there was a choice of different presentations: 1. for the techies and early adopters that want all the info presented in a busy display. 2. a sedate display that takes care of those that don't want all that 'stuff' and just want to see what every other car shows them. 3. A blended version for those in-between.

This is why companies test things with early user groups. Up till now there was (with one exception) something really good in every single major update; I'm 100% certain there'll be something to delight us in this one.

And then we can all go back to talking about our ridiculously minor pet peeves again......

So how many pre-sets can I have on SiriusXM now?.....

No wait, seriously; my 2007 Toyota had 15 presets!....

So how many pre-sets can I have on SiriusXM now?.....

There are 15 stations you'd listen to on XM? There were literally two, maybe three that I listened to and immediately realized I could just replace them with Slacker stations that were better, had no self-promoting commercials (commercial free my behind...), and had the ability to skip songs. I cancelled XM upon this realization.

I'm not quite so sure why people care about the odometer. It might look at it every few thousand miles in idle curiosity, but the trip meter is what I use while driving. The time I can easily train myself to look at on the center console. However temperature isn't displayed on the center console and having to bring up the large analog clock just to see the temperature seems silly.

Basically I like having the trip meter up, and the new trip meter looks nice. I want to see power usage, so I would definitely like to have that up. That means I lose the temperature, which is nice to see. I never change what's displayed on my center console, too much fiddling. The new look is fine, I like it OK, but I agree with others that the arrangement of information seems strange. However, it's not final (obviously), so they may tweak things.

I have a friend who is a project manager and she said when she sees something designed and written by the same person with a nice face, the internals are usually a mess and vice versa. Another friend who is used to being the most brilliant guy in the room thinks he's an excellent UI designer. I've seen one of his UI designs, it was a hopeless mess. He actually made a Mac program you couldn't figure out how to use. His brilliance is in constructing complex data structures.

People who specialize in software design, especially modern designers, tend to go with an overly spartan approach and hide a lot from the user that a more sophisticated user would like to see. IMO, a good software design presents a simple interface initially with the ability to turn on more features if the user wants them. That is my general goal when designing a UI, though I'm more of an internals guy (firmware mostly for the first part of my career).

11850752_10153549868319712_5139742837071858361_o.jpg
11879111_10153549867549712_145211630982233074_o.jpg
11942187_10153549868599712_4495564341166167539_o.jpg

I think the new 7 UI looks stunning. Can't wait. For those that don't like the analogue clock, don't select it. Personally I love analogue clocks; somehow they tell me more about time than digital. I look forward to letting the car do the driving while exploring this beautiful UI.

Perhaps we can have a poll somewhere so people can express their like or dislike of the new look-and-feel. Perhaps an option for "...dislike but I hate change and could learn to love it".

Given that you can also get power averages on center console you don't NEED the power graph on the dash,.

Not true. The averages only give historical data, you want real time data which the power metre gives (not the energy graph power metre). It's too late to be told you used too much power after it happens because you can't go back and change it. In order of importance it's:
0. Objects and vehicles around you (plus deer, elk, moose at 500 metres)
1. Power metre
2. Speedometer
3. Remaining miles
4. Trip information