Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, this should read "The fact is that this car doesn't "coast" like a normal AUTOMATIC ICE does..." The car behaves like a manual transmission car with very good compression engine braking. The regen braking effect is just like using the engine and transmission to slow the car in a manual.

My wife and I came from a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI with a 6-speed manual. We had our display set up so that our instantaneous economy was visible. When you took your foot off the accelerator, the car would decelerate, AND you would get --- mpg because the ECU would stop fuel delivery to the engine entirely despite the car still moving forward. Its the best performance you can get out of an ICE. We naturally got into the habit of using the engine for as much deceleration as we could.

The Tesla has probably 2 or 3 times as much deceleration force in its regen than our TDI did, but the way we drive it is exactly the same. We were both able to quickly adapt to 1 pedal driving (and my wife is not a car person, nor technically inclined). I've found the regen setup to be very intuitive.

+1 to this. Everyone I've ever had drive my Model S (and for that matter, my eGolf) has adapted very naturally and intuitively to the regenerative braking. I don't think that in itself is a significant ICE migration issue. I have zero problem going back and forth between our ICE cars (one with strong compression braking, one without) and our EVs.

Thing is, I barely ever use the tach. I use the power meter all the time when I'm trying to feather the pedal to coast to a stop. For that I need it in front of me, not on the side panel.

Yes, I was driving home from a long trip today and thinking about the IC display. If I am forced to have the Power graph and meter on one side, that leaves only one "Free" spot for another panel of my choice.

Right now, I have the "Trips" panel to the right of the speedo, and Music on the left, except when I have Nav going, then it's the map. I think that's a good balance. Of course, Time, Temp, and Date are always visible on the bottom bar.

BUT now if I am forced to use one spot for the energy graph/power meter, it can't be on the left because that would interfere with the Nav, so it has to go on the right if I want it available all the time. So that leaves the left panel for Music, Trips, Clock and Nav (when needed)!! If I had to pick one, it has to be "Trips" because I'm constantly using Wh/m since last charge to gauge usable range remaining. Since I use "Trip A" for lifetime Wh/m, I use "Trip B" for total distance, energy, and Wh/m for my current multi-stop journey -- something I also like to have visible all the time. Of course, it's not "all the time" because Nav would be running much of the time, so I can't monitor current Wh/m when I actually need it most -- ON LONG TRIPS!!

Sooooo.. that means I can now *NEVER* have Music display OR THE CLOCK on the Instrument panel! Music I can deal with on the main screen, but the Clock, Date, and Temp?!?!? WTF?

Man, this design is getting worse and worse the more I think about it.

I'm glad I've been making a point of saving every image/video I catch in this thread and others like it. Seems Tesla really doesn't want this info out there for some reason.

I've thought of doing stuff like that at times in the past .... and then thought 'why do I even want it?'. I spend enough time cleaning out files I don't need without adding more to the mix :).

I don't believe I saw it mentioned in this thread, but it does appear they're including an automatic trip computer in this version, which was something I missed. That is, how long have I been driving and how far, which resets each time I exit the vehicle. I am also hopeful it means they are including a lifetime Wh/mi so that Trip B is free from its chains.

I don't mind a NEW automatic trip computer, but it damn well be IN ADDITION to "Trip A" and "Trip B" that are already there.
Right now, the Trip Odometers only track:
Distance
Energy Used
Wh/M
I have a Garmin GPS that has two trip odometers that tracks great stuff like this, which I'd like to see Tesla add:
Total Time
Total Drive Time
Total Stopped Time
Max Speed
Average Speed
And independent "Start/Stop" buttons

... and a few Tesla specific things could so easily add:
Rated Miles Used
Starting/Ending/Average Temp
Starting/Ending/Average Elevation

And while I'm at it, I want all of that info extractable via a read-only API.

There's so much Tesla could do, that's so easy to do here, which would make Trip Odometers a really useful feature, more than just Wh/m, Distance, and Energy used.

Yes, I was driving home from a long trip today and thinking about the IC display. If I am forced to have the Power graph and meter on one side, that leaves only one "Free" spot for another panel of my choice.

Right now, I have the "Trips" panel to the right of the speedo, and Music on the left, except when I have Nav going, then it's the map. I think that's a good balance. Of course, Time, Temp, and Date are always visible on the bottom bar.

BUT now if I am forced to use one spot for the energy graph/power meter, it can't be on the left because that would interfere with the Nav, so it has to go on the right if I want it available all the time. So that leaves the left panel for Music, Trips, Clock and Nav (when needed)!! If I had to pick one, it has to be "Trips" because I'm constantly using Wh/m since last charge to gauge usable range remaining. Since I use "Trip A" for lifetime Wh/m, I use "Trip B" for total distance, energy, and Wh/m for my current multi-stop journey -- something I also like to have visible all the time. Of course, it's not "all the time" because Nav would be running much of the time, so I can't monitor current Wh/m when I actually need it most -- ON LONG TRIPS!!

Sooooo.. that means I can now *NEVER* have Music display OR THE CLOCK on the Instrument panel! Music I can deal with on the main screen, but the Clock, Date, and Temp?!?!? WTF?

I recall that the clock/time and temp outside are always on the main display viewable to all at top as well - easy to glance over if needed.

Actually, this should read "The fact is that this car doesn't "coast" like a normal AUTOMATIC ICE does..." The car behaves like a manual transmission car with very good compression engine braking. The regen braking effect is just like using the engine and transmission to slow the car in a manual.

I agree the MS is like driving the manual transmission cars I've always owned. The single pedal driving is great and it is one of the features that I really enjoy though unlike the MS, in manual transmission cars you have to eventually downshift.:smile:

These are my thoughts also. I use the display exactly the same way , so if this the way it ends up its terrible.
This is what you get from the worlds most innovative company .. They are always moving forward and striving to be ahead in new technology. . Autopilot and weather aware range calculation ...
But they forget waypoints in the navi, and "old" cars without the AP hardware just have to tag a long, and gets a nice but useless "toy car" in the middle if the screen as a "bonus "..

I think it's pretty clear that these "accidental" upgrades are intentional. I can see one or 2 accidents, but after the first one, they would have halted all releases until they could have figured out what was wrong.

They wanted to do this so they could get our opinions, and also "under promise/over deliver" I suspect these releases are not indicative of what we will see in the actual release. This way when they release it and it' way better than we expect we'll be extremely happy.

Yeah, I'm also of the camp that the "leaks" were intentional. And I'm really looking forward to the improvements they'll make due to our feedback.

I live in California and there is an SC 5 minutes from me at the Whole foods; there is no range problem. But, there is a range issue-- I want to know what my remaining range is in a prominent display. Having it as a big bar in the middle helps me a lot. Unlike with a gas tank, managing the battery between 20% - 80% extends its life. To me, that's worth knowing and seeing when I glance at my dash without having to move my eyeballs both down and left.

And echoing what others have already said I very much dislike the range display and their attempt to minimize it.

View attachment 91665
I dont think this guy has been sitting in the car for two hours, so it is probably a manual reset. The average speed while in D would have been nice, since speed is an important factor vs consumption--

This is is a little dissappointing, I was expecting a lot more colors and information, such the percentage and rated/ideal km left on battery. This is a very conservative look that might appeal to some owners. Oh well, it is what it is! I really like the current display of the regent in green and orange for consumption. I find this might be a slight step backward. We'll have to wait and see.

Tesla, my car is ready , Beam me up. Serial. 76842

Dont worry. . You will never see the clock, you will use the side panel for more usefull displays.

But why make something that's essentially "perfect" (6.2) and screw it all up and move things off the main screen that are really quite unobtrusive (time/temp/date, etc) and used all the time?

I'm pretty sure a very talented a GRAPHIC designer designed this layout, and not a USER INTERFACE designer. You really need both.

All I can say is I really hope this is far from production ready. If it's not (i.e. close to production), I, for one, won't upgrade past 6.2 until this is fixed. The end result is such that Tesla is screwing users out of any other new FUNCTIONAL features (Nav, drive unit, etc) that may be released just because of this crippled IC user interface. :(

But why make something that's essentially "perfect" (6.2) and screw it all up and move things off the main screen that are really quite unobtrusive (time/temp/date, etc) and used all the time?

I'm pretty sure a very talented a GRAPHIC designer designed this layout, and not a USER INTERFACE designer. You really need both.

All I can say is I really hope this is far from production ready. If it's not (i.e. close to production), I, for one, won't upgrade past 6.2 until this is fixed. The end result is such that Tesla is screwing users out of any other new FUNCTIONAL features (Nav, drive unit, etc) that may be released just because of this crippled IC user interface. :(
Agree... I'll keep my finger away from the yellow clock from now on. Sad if this is what we get.
I feel they are not making good use of the fantastic screens we got. Why only 6 presets on the radio when you have a gigantic 17" to play with ??