Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind if you've had the update staged (yellow clock icon) already, the car isn't downloading additional updates until after you install the one that is staged (likely 2.7.56 or whatever). So if Tesla pushed 2.7.77 to you and you haven't installed 2.7.56 yet, it could just skip you in the meantime.

Yes, but then it's just a waiting game till I get a version I know I will like. Right now I don't update because none of the versions in the wild in the US meet what I desire/will accept.

- - - Updated - - -

Also what wk57 just said. If you didn't install V7 before, how do you know you received another update? It's just prompting you once a day to install the already-downloaded update (2.7.56) before it will download any subsequent updates.

I don't and I haven't received a new app notification, just the per drive notification in the car. But if I know 2.7.77 is out there and meets my desires/what I will accept, I will proceed and be willing to wait at .56 until .77 is downloaded to my car. Right now I would not because we do not know that .77 is available for US cars yet.

- - - Updated - - -

fb34b53c4408df32a4f93b369a557723.jpg

Energy app lost the lines

While this is not what I desire, it is acceptable to me. I'll update once we see .77 in the U.S. I have a 14 hour drive coming up soon that will let me get used to it.

- - - Updated - - -

What is missing in the new energy app?

Definition of the scale and easy visibility with the shading under the line. In the shot I quoted above from Norway, the shading looks much more legible than prior photos shared.

Will be restored once they swap the range indicator and odo/car icon. Makes no sense they way they have it now.

It does. Odo in the speedo is the classic ice display. Tesla is trying to de-emphasize range anxiety and make car more familiar to the masses. Reduce intimidation. Not saying I agree with it, but I'm guessing that's why they'll not likely swap this back. As for me, I'd prefer original setup but if this helps them sell more cars and stay successful, it's a small price to pay. PS after 10 days with 7.0 I'm liking the look more and more. Minimalist. Need to fix daytime shading, but that's it. Except 3rd party apps and new media player!

It does. Odo in the speedo is the classic ice display. Tesla is trying to de-emphasize range anxiety and make car more familiar to the masses. Reduce intimidation. Not saying I agree with it, but I'm guessing that's why they'll not likely swap this back. As for me, I'd prefer original setup but if this helps them sell more cars and stay successful, it's a small price to pay. PS after 10 days with 7.0 I'm liking the look more and more. Minimalist. Need to fix daytime shading, but that's it. Except 3rd party apps and new media player!

I highly doubt having the battery icon relegated to the bottom of the screen where it is stupidly annoying and distracting to read while driving is going to help sell more cars. Of all the changes to 7.0, this is the one I absolutely can't stand. I mistakenly updated to 7.0 a week ago and have acclimated to most of the changes, but this one chafes me every single time I get in the car. And I've written to Tesla to complain about it. Oh, and I really dislike the toy car too. Lot of good that does me while I'm driving (not).

Since leased Model S have mileage limits, the odometer in the center display helps remind drivers of their limits. It also could bring more vehicles into the Service Center for their 12,000 mile checkups. It is a return to the days of long ago, and I don't mind it. It reminds me of how much I have enjoyed the Tesla Model S.

The battery indicator is beneath the navigation map. Hopefully that will remind drivers to set their destinations with navigation. If the Model S gets low on range, there will be warnings, especially if you have set the navigation.

I highly doubt having the battery icon relegated to the bottom of the screen where it is stupidly annoying and distracting to read while driving is going to help sell more cars. Of all the changes to 7.0, this is the one I absolutely can't stand. I mistakenly updated to 7.0 a week ago and have acclimated to most of the changes, but this one chafes me every single time I get in the car. And I've written to Tesla to complain about it. Oh, and I really dislike the toy car too. Lot of good that does me while I'm driving (not).
I don't disagree with you. I don't like the move either. But I would not let it destroy my enjoyment of the car!

My post, however, was not about whether I like it... It was about why I think they moved it. Trying empathy, rather than assuming stupidity.

I don't mind the battery icon being moved or made smaller...I just can't see it behind the wheel. I have to lean forward to read it now. This gauge should be visible for everyone from common positions. I'm 6 foot and have centered wheel and other settings. While other things may be, this one's not rocket science. A little more centered, please.

Isn't it great to gripe about these things with the hope of improvement? Can you imagine complaining publicly about the placement of the gas gauge in a '64 1/2 Mustang...in 1964, and expect that Ford would hear you and fix it?

Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 1.51.29 AM.png

Last edited:
Will be restored once they swap the range indicator and odo/car icon. Makes no sense they way they have it now.
I was thinking about this yesterday. It is anoying because it takes an extra eye movement to check speed and range . In 6.2 you do it with one glance.
With temp and time back this is the major gripe. .. not much, but since the benefits of upgrading the pre AP cars are microscopic I will delay the upgrade anyway. .. If they fix the Nav and DAB-radio I will reconsider...

Last edited: