Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the right thumb-wheel operated the Brightness slider after I
selected the Brightness function with the Menu button and thumb wheel.
Here, the brightness slider changes only to n5 or n0 values.

I usually have the Fan Speed function selected, instead of Brightness.

So, both with and without AP, the two Brightness controlls
appear to remain the same. Thanks from my friend and me.

I have not installed V7 on my Classic car. I just got a notification on my phone that a new update has been downloaded to my car. Is this perhaps a newer version (perhaps with changes to the UI) of V7 that I previously received, or just Tesla's little way of trying to nudge (trick) me to install V7?

I have not installed V7 on my Classic car. I just got a notification on my phone that a new update has been downloaded to my car. Is this perhaps a newer version (perhaps with changes to the UI) of V7 that I previously received, or just Tesla's little way of trying to nudge (trick) me to install V7?
Elon tweeted earlier that 7.0.1 is releasing soon. Could be that, though he only noted AP changes. I doubt we'll get any changes until 7.1, whenever that comes. It'll be awhile.

Beware that multiple notifications may be sent for the same OTA update. It does not necessarily indicate a newer version has been downloaded.

Elon tweeted earlier that 7.0.1 is releasing soon. Could be that, though he only noted AP changes. I doubt we'll get any changes until 7.1, whenever that comes. It'll be awhile.

Yes I just got that update last night. I don't see any changes and neither the release notes say anything different than before. Probably just a small bug they found and fixed.
I think there will be an update with some UI refinements. Too many complaints. Yesterday I noticed the navigation screen will cover the battery icon in the dash display when there is a turn or lane instruction showing.

I think there will be an update with some UI refinements. Too many complaints. Yesterday I noticed the navigation screen will cover the battery icon in the dash display when there is a turn or lane instruction showing.
Many people here have been complaining about that since day 1. It's one of the reasons the battery and the odometer should be flipped back to their original positions. The other reason of course is the battery is the more important number so it should take center stage.

I did do a few performance box runs with the P85 where I have previously. The data is virtually identical with *maybe* some slight decrease in ~40-60 times. I hadn't done enough runs with the P85 previously to really be sure, though, but looking at @marcad80's results I'm more confident that the difference isn't just random.

I have noticed a couple of significant bugs:

- if my wife uses the car with be iPhone and then I use the car with my iPhone, the list of "recent calls" includes a combination of her calls and my calls
- a couple of times the center screen has gone to sleep and then when I start the car it won't wake up unless I reboot it. this is a problem because I have to wait until the reboot is over to close my garage door

anybody else seen these?

Yesterday I noticed the navigation screen will cover the battery icon in the dash display when there is a turn or lane instruction showing.
Since receiving V7 on my Classic 85 I have navigated several hundred miles and have not seen the issue you describe, and I've been looking for it. My spouse says she saw it happen once. It hasn't happened to me.

Just a note to those who plan to decline to install the V7.0 in their non-AP cars.

We were told a couple of months ago that we needed a drive unit replacement. When we scheduled an appointment, here's a part of the response from the Service Center to us:

"...if that (update) clock is present, then the only firmware available to install would be the newest one. You are free to decline the service on the drive unit...."

Stated more clearly, Tesla won't service or repair your car unless the update is installed, so the warranties and service contracts we purchased are of no effect so long as we refuse the update.

Just a note to those who plan to decline to install the V7.0 in their non-AP cars.

We were told a couple of months ago that we needed a drive unit replacement. When we scheduled an appointment, here's a part of the response from the Service Center to us:

"...if that (update) clock is present, then the only firmware available to install would be the newest one. You are free to decline the service on the drive unit...."

Stated more clearly, Tesla won't service or repair your car unless the update is installed, so the warranties and service contracts we purchased are of no effect so long as we refuse the update.

This is pretty well known. Most service calls that replace components require a refresh of the firmware. Tesla service doesn't keep older versions, and I don't see them making exceptions to that any time soon. Basically by refusing to upgrade you're refusing part of what is required to perform the service work. Makes perfect sense to me.

My Model S has been rock solid reliable (fogged backup light the most serious issue in 2 years) so this is the least of my worries. The reason I was declining was I thought V 7.0 got rid of the power/regen meter as I really dislike the dash of the autopilot cars. I FINALLY figured out this was NOT the case with our pre-AP cars and I updated. I really like the new look and don't miss the date or old dash much at all. In fact, I really like it all except for the silly clock but I just don't use it. I do miss the trip A/B.

I will say my Wh/mile has been crazy low with the new update. I can't believe the number of times that my car now will show 218 rated miles with a use based predictor of 285! My life time WH/mile has been 331 but I now seem to regularly get in the 280's now. Not sure I believe it but pretty amazing. Two thumbs up on V7.0 from an initially hater!

Since receiving V7 on my Classic 85 I have navigated several hundred miles and have not seen the issue you describe, and I've been looking for it. My spouse says she saw it happen once. It hasn't happened to me.

It happens when it is showing you what lane you need to be in. Personally I don't see this as an issue since it's not blocking all the time but to each their own.

My Model S has been rock solid reliable (fogged backup light the most serious issue in 2 years) so this is the least of my worries. The reason I was declining was I thought V 7.0 got rid of the power/regen meter as I really dislike the dash of the autopilot cars. I FINALLY figured out this was NOT the case with our pre-AP cars and I updated. I really like the new look and don't miss the date or old dash much at all. In fact, I really like it all except for the silly clock but I just don't use it. I do miss the trip A/B.

I will say my Wh/mile has been crazy low with the new update. I can't believe the number of times that my car now will show 218 rated miles with a use based predictor of 285! My life time WH/mile has been 331 but I now seem to regularly get in the 280's now. Not sure I believe it but pretty amazing. Two thumbs up on V7.0 from an initially hater!

I installed Aero Rims on my car 2 weeks ago. Saw a instant 30w/mile reduction in power consumption. It was very reliable and consistent. Installed V7, my power consumption Increased by 60w/mile. Same drives, same distance, that before I had intermittently used heat, now with the increase is with heat OFF.

The main thread for 7.0 shows a newer version being sent to European cars (2.7.77) has the time and temperature back on the bottom row. The temp is on the left and the time is on the right. It's unclear yet if this is was on an AP or classic Model S. It appears they are listening and responding to complaints quickly, even before 7.1.